Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2009, 21:23   #1
BHPian

Restoring the family of Maruti 800

Dear TeamBHPians, Its real fun to be on this info site.
This is my first post / topic on the forum, so you all may excuse me for posting any errors.

I have 2 Maruti 800s (2006 MPFIs), Opel corsa and a Premier 118NE. I have recently purchased a pre owned Maruti 800 (carb model run 55k kms) of the year 1998, which seems to work flawlessly(as per my driving experience of 15 years).
The car has no major setback, mechanically or stucturally. It gives an average of 17kmpl on highways. The only problem with the drive is that it knocks if the throttle is pressed hard. Moreover, the car knocks more on Ac. There is minimal smoke during cold starts. Starts within half twist of the key. Got a compression test which is good. I have done carb servicing, replaced points-condenser unit, radiator flush and refill, engine oil flush and refill, replaced oil filter and air filter.

With utmost support and intellect flow of TEAMBHPians, I am modifying the air filter in a day or two. Contacted Mr Bhide for Electronic ignition, which will be installed soon. I have put Zen alternator, replaced stock headlight bulbs with Philips 100/130w. Changed the engine foundation bushes and all rubber bushings of the supension. Also, will feed the car with Bardahl-no smoke, as I have read here, it gives the engine a low friction time based treatment which can enhance its performance. I am thinking of replacing the original 145/70/R12 tyres with 145/80/R12 for the front and 165/60/R12 for the rear with spare tyres of each rating. I have also done a mod, the air filter casing is cut open so there is a 360 degree air intake. The pickup has increased 10%. After driving various cars in our stable, I feel this car vibrates a bit but does not rattle. I would like to dampen its in-car noise constant. Is there any greater way to lower its vibrations, comparable to newer cars? We are using Maruti 800s since 1987, this is the first time I am not able to figure out, whats gone wrong. Members please help. Thank you for your valuable know how.
Old 6th August 2009, 21:53   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.faramroze View Post
The only problem with the drive is that it knocks if the throttle is pressed hard. Moreover, the car knocks more on Ac. .
Get the timing checked
Old 6th August 2009, 21:54   #3
BANNED

Dr. Congrats on your ownership review.

Nice to know your love for the M-800's.

I forsee no problem with your car M-800, Just a few tweaks

1) Get the tappets adjusted, the knocking would reduce.
2) Use the sound deadner inside the firewall - incabin noise will substantially reduce, although the in-cabin noise is inherent feature of the M-800 , you can do very little to reduce it.
3) Keep the timing advanced by 1 degree, and adjust the carb to set in idle

at 800 rpm - without a/c
at 1000 rpm - with a/c ON

4) Kindly retain the same tyre size all around the car for a better drive, altering the ratings would only do damage than any good.

5) M-800 is afterall a small car built crudely by MARUTI's , mass produced to cater to the ever increasing demand. SO the vibrations are INHERENT factor of the M-800. I own a 1997 Carb M-800 with A/C and have done 2.35 lacs kms so far, This car is a Gem.

Happy driving.
Old 7th August 2009, 18:51   #4
BHPian

I got the timing adjusted just now. Also got the timing belt tension set. The car booms like a nearly new one. Vibes lessened as I personally designed a 4mm foam that can handle high temperatures at the inner walls of the engine bay. I wanted to use a bigger jet say no. 95 or no. 98 now no need because the knocking is gone and I am very thankful to Mr PramodKumar and Mr Pavan Kadam for their guidance. It took me 5 hours today (off from the clinic) it turned so productive. Planning to go to Khandala next week.
Old 10th August 2009, 12:35   #5
BHPian

I was on my way from Mumbai to Ahmedabad yesterday by the same car. Although the engine is good now. There remains a vibration which starts above the speed of 70kmph. The moment speed is lowed to 65kmph-70kmph the car runs smooth. I am not able to find out what it is. This problem was right from the first day I bought this car about 2 months ago. It feels as if the whole chassis is about to come loose and it starts shivering. Got the engine engine foundation rubber changed (the one towards the front side). The driveshaft/ axle I got the tires replaced with 145/80/R12 yesterday and the drive has smoothened over potholes and undulations. No scraping of the wheel-wells. The car drove for 900 kms in 2 days.
Old 10th August 2009, 17:09   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.faramroze View Post
There remains a vibration which starts above the speed of 70kmph. The moment speed is lowed to 65kmph-70kmph the car runs smooth.
Get your weheels balanced, see if the problem persists,if yes check if the rims are bent(ask the wheel balancing guy to do that)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks