Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2009, 23:10   #16
BHPian

Either this idea works or it will contribute highly to "Accidents in Pics" thread.

Old 11th August 2009, 09:26   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
That is incorrect!!

NOT all sunglasses are polarized. Especially not the cheap ones.

How to tell if your sunglasses are polarized?
Find another pair of polarised sun glasses and look though both sunglasses together. Notice the brightness.
Now, rotate either one of the glasses towards 90* -- if what you see begins to get much darker or brighter it means both pairs of glasses are polarized.

Another way is to do the same thing with 1 pair - looking at an LCD monitor (im not 100% sure about this method though).

What a polarized lens does?
Basically think of it as looking though a very fine grill, kinda like this ---> ||||||||||.
Only light that is aligned with the grill will be allowed to pass through. Other light (glare etc - depending on orientation) will not be allowed through.

Heres a polarized visor like thing for cars :
like polarized sunglasses as auto sun visors, windshield visors, PolaVisor reduces eye strain

Heres an article about polarized glass uses in motorsports (with some sample pics) :
New Page 0

And heres 3 pictures taken with a polarizer filter (common in photography), but each shot is taken with the filter (think of it as the |||| grill) being rotated slightly. See the difference as it is mis-aligned with the glare/reflected image :
Attachment 172586
Source : http://gnarblog.com/photo/

Polarized glasses are also commonly used when fishing, as you can see through the glare on the surface of the water better.

cya
R
Try this: try out a Polarized Sun Glass, now take some box/package that has a hologram. View it with and without the P S Glass.
Old 11th August 2009, 11:11   #18
BHPian

Thanks guys, found this info very usefull after trying it at night while it was raining, need to try it in day time as well. i am using Fasttrack glasses not sure if they are polorized. However it works and i am happy
Old 11th August 2009, 12:01   #19
Senior - BHPian

Polaroid glasses are much expensive compared to ordinary sun glasses that are available right from 500 bucks. I had picked up one for my wifee from Garuda Mall, shoppers stop from the 'Polaroid' counter itself, their range started from 2500 something. I was so impressed by the quality, fit and finish, ended up buying 2 pairs, as one for me.

But now the issue is my power glasses, I can never use a sun glass unless I am wearing a contact lens. Does anyone know powerglasses coming with the polaroid coating ? Presently I use crizal day&night glasses with the anti-glare coat. But it may not get dark in the heavy rains.

The idea of glasses in the rain is something I had heard few years back, but never got a chance to try so far. Its a proved thing. Light tinted polaroid will work wonders in bright day light, heavy rains and even in the night, basically cutting reflections and glares in any situation.
Old 11th August 2009, 12:15   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Another way to test for polarised glasses: look at a digital watch, or calculator. Turn it in a circle; at a certain angle, it will appear completely black.
Old 11th August 2009, 12:28   #21
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Since we are on this topic about clearer visibility, I tried this once by chance. It was super foggy on our way to Kemmangundi. Visibility was less than 2ft. So took out my phone cam to shoot the video of the drive but as I was seeing through the phone in video mode I realized I could see the road better than with my naked eye. Visibility went upto 4-5ft. Given that we couldn't even see where the turning on the ghat section were, it did help us a lot. Anyone tried this?

PS: I was sitting in the passengers seat while memo was driving. So DO NOT try this while driving. Ask your co-passenger to check it out if this really works.

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 11th August 2009 at 12:29.
Old 11th August 2009, 14:35   #22
Senior - BHPian

It is raining in Delhi. Can someone go out and check out if it works or not?
Old 11th August 2009, 15:12   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
But now the issue is my power glasses, I can never use a sun glass unless I am wearing a contact lens. Does anyone know powerglasses coming with the polaroid coating ? Presently I use crizal day&night glasses with the anti-glare coat. But it may not get dark in the heavy rains.
Same case with me.
Earlier, i was using day & night glasses and problem is that it does not become dark when i am in the car.
I told this problem to my optician and he made special dark glass spect for me.
It is as good as sun glass.

@THROTTLE,

nice finding man.
but where is rain in this season to try this idea?

Last edited by ASHISHPALLOD : 11th August 2009 at 15:18.
Old 11th August 2009, 15:18   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post

You can try drive wear from essilor and skypol form carl zeiss.
Old 11th August 2009, 16:43   #25
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
Anyone tried this?
Which phone did you have buddy? I think this will work only if you have a phone with a camera the size of a few megapixels and not a low resolution VGA camera.

Keen to know which phone you used.

Cheers,
gpa
Old 11th August 2009, 16:50   #26
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

I think I had a Motorola A1000 (1.3mp) and an O2 back then.
Old 11th August 2009, 17:20   #27
Senior - BHPian

It was raining some time back and suddenly I remembered this thread,and i wore my pair of Vintage Sunglasses(polarized is mentioned on one of the arms i guess).
Well,no drastic change,but somehow it felt slightly better,with glasses on.
Old 11th August 2009, 22:06   #28
BHPian

I've been using Polarized sunglasses for a long time now and can't do without them especially because of the shiny reflective dashboard surface on the getz and i10. It makes a huge difference when driving for long periods, there is minimal eye-strain.
Old 11th August 2009, 22:14   #29
Senior - BHPian

Nice discovery, Have to try this
Old 12th August 2009, 01:16   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
Same case with me.
Earlier, i was using day & night glasses and problem is that it does not become dark when i am in the car.
I told this problem to my optician and he made special dark glass spect for me.
It is as good as sun glass.
People with spectacles can try prescription sunglasses from Polaroid or Ray-ban. The prescription sunglasses (without frame) from Polaroid costs around 3k.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks