Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2009, 13:27   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinivas9446 View Post
hey Rulez,

i have done 200 kmph in my ANHC with no TS whatsoever !

i have also dome 165 in my earlier LOGAN...no TS in it too.

for info.
Torque steer doesn't occur when you go fast. It occurs during a hard launch/acceleration in fwd vehicles with a decently powerful engine. TS is next to nil during gradual acceleration on almost all the stock vehicles.
Old 18th August 2009, 13:28   #17
Senior - BHPian

Another phenomenon I cannot quite explain is the fun involved in flooring a FWD around a bend (and blasting away). Just after someone cuts you off at a a little Traffic Island. Quite different from a Straight line TS and a lot more interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
Almost all Indian manufacturers have eliminated torque steer from the cars sold here. Sell cars with underpowered engines, and voila, no torque steer!
Sadly Makes perfect sense
IronWolf is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2009, 13:35   #18
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinivas9446 View Post
i have done 200 kmph in my ANHC with no TS whatsoever !
. Never experienced - even in NHC. I have checked on a empty highway. It always followed the lane marking on a straight road.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
i have some in my santro xing, more pronounced after the FFE and CAI.
. Even on stock, I have consciously steer it straight.
Old 18th August 2009, 13:43   #19
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunilb View Post
It pulls hard on the left almost crossing a full lane if I don't hold the steering back.
That means there is something wrong with your rims or wheel alignment or balancing. Honda's (most of them) torque steer towards the right as the longer drive shaft is on the right hand side.

Also I think most members here are misinterpreting torque steer to something else. Torque steer actually is the direction in which the car moves on a hard launch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Torque steer doesn't occur when you go fast. It occurs during a hard launch/acceleration in fwd vehicles with a decently powerful engine. TS is next to nil during gradual acceleration on almost all the stock vehicles.
. Torque steer can been seen only at a hard launch. For eg take the revvs to around 4,000 rpm and dump the clutch. Even though you are holding the steering straight, the car turns left/right. You have to correct it to get back in a straight line. That is torque steer. Once the tires have enough traction to track in a straight line, you have successfully negated torque steer.
Old 18th August 2009, 13:52   #20
srinivas9446

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
thanks for the education !

Old 18th August 2009, 13:55   #21
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
Torque steer can been seen only at a hard launch. For eg take the revvs to around 4,000 rpm and dump the clutch. Even though you are holding the steering straight, the car turns left/right. You have to correct it to get back in a straight line. That is torque steer. Once the tires have enough traction to track in a straight line, you have successfully negated torque steer.
thanks for the education !
Old 18th August 2009, 14:04   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
One example of torque steer is Verna CRDi, Light steering and Sudden surge at 2000rpm multiplies the effect.
getting used to takes sometimes, but a majority of the users dont feel this at all because they dont push the car that much, i am running 195s and still get them !
Old 18th August 2009, 14:04   #23
BHPian

Quote:

hey Rulez,

i have done 200 kmph ... LOGAN...no TS in it too.

for info.
Torque steer isn't dependent on how fast you're driving, it's dependent on how fast you're accelerating.

Last edited by teknophobia : 18th August 2009 at 14:06.
Old 18th August 2009, 14:08   #24
srinivas9446

Quote:
Originally Posted by teknophobia View Post
Torque steer isn't dependent on how fast you're driving, it's dependent on how fast you're accelerating.

Tek -no-phobia,

thanks for sankar's education...i know the EXACT MEANING OF TORGUE STEER .

Old 18th August 2009, 14:20   #25
BHPian

Ohh my Magnum Diesel - it has lot of it, caused doe to non-equal drive shaft. in case of magnum its way too uncontrollable, imagine 320nm torque. so got used to it and usually i am very very careful while just sppining for fun or while taking off from traffic, a small mistake and i can bang on to anybody from either sides.

By the Indica Vista has equal drive shaft, so no torque sweer, but no power either
Old 18th August 2009, 15:41   #26
Senior - BHPian

TS used to be big in the old US muscle cars - nothing to do with fwd or rwd. The big V8's were known to be really prone to this problem.
Old 18th August 2009, 15:55   #27
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
TS used to be big in the old US muscle cars - nothing to do with fwd or rwd. The big V8's were known to be really prone to this problem.
I don't think RWD cars face torque steer. In RWD the engine is not connected to the steering gear. As in the front wheels do the steering while the rear wheels put the power down.
Old 18th August 2009, 16:02   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Thats more a RW burnout or whatever its called. The only and most important ingredient to make a delicious donut.

The phenomenon in Powerful RWDs is something most of us only can dream of ~ for now.
IronWolf is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2009, 16:09   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
I don't think RWD cars face torque steer. In RWD the engine is not connected to the steering gear. As in the front wheels do the steering while the rear wheels put the power down.
I first read about Torque Steer in either Autocar or Motor in the early 1970's when a student in the UK. i think they were specifically referring to this problem in either the Mustang or a Pontiac! afaik they were both rwd (as indeed almost all cars except for the Citroens and a few others).
Old 18th August 2009, 18:19   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I first read about Torque Steer in either Autocar or Motor in the early 1970's when a student in the UK. i think they were specifically referring to this problem in either the Mustang or a Pontiac! afaik they were both rwd (as indeed almost all cars except for the Citroens and a few others).
I think this was more of a powerslide than torque steer where the rear bcomes unstable and slides out of line. It feels like torque steer bcoz the driver has to contsntly make steering corrections to avoid spinning out.

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 18th August 2009 at 18:20.
Shan2nu is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks