Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2009, 19:47   #1
BANNED

Radiator cooling fan problem?

When i opened bonnet of my lancer diesel for changing oil and doing other things, i noted, radiator cooling fan not working, but instead when the temperature rises the AC condensor cooling fan is working, (it is on right side and just next to AC condensor) . But the temperature stands on near half in the meter, it stood same for all these years, I didnt notice that radiator fan not working all these days, instead AC fan is doing its job,

How can i check the radiator fan, whether it is fine or something gone wrong?
Old 19th August 2009, 23:05   #2
Senior - BHPian

thats strange. you need some wires if you are in to DIY. locate the fan connector, disconnect it and connect it directly to the battery. Do be careful about the polarity.
Old 20th August 2009, 08:52   #3
BANNED

okay..thanks, thats what i am worried about the right polarity, i think its better to get this to electrician
Old 20th August 2009, 10:03   #4
gpa
Senior - BHPian

rajivanoj,

The a/c condensor fan and the radiator fan work independently of each other. When the a/c is turned on, the a/c's fan at the condensor will switch on and off depending on the speed of the blower in the cabin and the level of cooling.

The radiator fan will switch on only once the engine temperature crosses the optimum level. If you are idling your engine, then the a/c compressor fan will switch on more frequently than the radiaor fan.

I don't think you have a problem, bue get the circuitry of the radiator fan checked by an electrician.

Cheers,
gpa
Old 20th August 2009, 10:21   #5
BANNED

@gpa & siralec

Thanks for your inputs, i shall check the radiator circuit by an electrician.
Old 20th August 2009, 21:48   #6
BANNED

Problem Solved

Actually when the temperature exceeds permissible limit, both the radiator and AC cooling fan will spin for sometime till it reaches optimal level. In my case only AC fan was working (it may take twice the amount of time to cool).

Then i removed the radiator fan from car and checked with electrician, it was not working, so i asked to open it, the carbon brush worn out, so its not touching the armature, then i took that assembly to electrical shop, luckily Indica's carbon brush was right fit, but i got four instead on needed two. (Rs.180/four).

but fitting the brush inside assembly was much trickier, since Denso fan is sealed (may be use and throw type), so some locking parts got broke and atlast fitted the carbon in right place , but armature didnt go inside, so had grinded some part with file, then it fitted, anabond was needed to fix the broken lock. Atlast it was ready and zooming back to life.

total cost:

Indica carbon brush for cooling fan - Rs.180
Anabond - Rs,5
Labour - Rs.100 (took almost 4 hours)

If i have not chose this option, i would have gone for new fan which costs Rs.3500 minimum, So am happy that the electrician was good enough to find the fault.
rajivanoj is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks