Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2009, 00:31   #1
BHPian

Swift Brake Lock - Car Doesn't Move!

I have strange problem with my Swift.

If I don't use my car for say 1 week or more, then when I start my car and hit the 1st gear and accelerate, the car won't go further! I have to press the accelerator more then a 'tak' 'tuk' sound comes from the wheels and the tires are released and then the car is free.

Its like the wheels get locked if I don't use my car for a period of 1-2 weeks.

I always apply hand break and 1st gear and park my car.

Has anyone experienced this? Any suggestion or idea guys?

Please advice.

NOTE: If I use my car everyday or once a week the problem never comes, its only if the car if parked for more than 1-2 weeks.
Old 24th August 2009, 01:33   #2
Senior - BHPian

First of all, when you are parking the car this long donot pull the handbrake and park, gets jammed sometimes.

Used to happen in my 800 and happens in the swift too. Absolutely normal !
Old 24th August 2009, 01:40   #3
BHPian

I though the same and this time I have parked it without the hand-brakes. Its already 4 days now lets see if I can wait for few days more and test.

When hand brakes are applied in the swift, which wheels does the brake get applied? All four wheels or.... ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
First of all, when you are parking the car this long donot pull the handbrake and park, gets jammed sometimes.

Used to happen in my 800 and happens in the swift too. Absolutely normal !
Old 24th August 2009, 01:49   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humm View Post
I though the same and this time I have parked it without the hand-brakes. Its already 4 days now lets see if I can wait for few days more and test.

When hand brakes are applied in the swift, which wheels does the brake get applied? All four wheels or.... ?
Its the rear wheels that the brakes are applied to, also the cleaners those who wash the car have a habit of bathing the wheels with the left over water after the car is washed which is not good for the brakes, so ask your cleaner to not shower the wheels with the left over water.

He can just take the wet cloth and wipe off the muck.
Old 24th August 2009, 01:50   #5
BHPian

Quote:

I think its only rear wheels on most car.
Old 24th August 2009, 01:55   #6
BHPian

That's one super great advice buddy.

Quote:
also the cleaners those who wash the car have a habit of bathing the wheels with the left over water after the car is washed which is not good for the brakes, so ask your cleaner to not shower the wheels with the left over water.

Old 24th August 2009, 03:31   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have strange problem with my Swift.

If I don't use my car for say 1 week or more, then when I start my car and hit the 1st gear and accelerate, the car won't go further! I have to press the accelerator more then a 'tak' 'tuk' sound comes from the wheels and the tires are released and then the car is free.

Its like the wheels get locked if I don't use my car for a period of 1-2 weeks.

I always apply hand break and 1st gear and park my car.

Has anyone experienced this? Any suggestion or idea guys?

Please advice.

NOTE: If I use my car everyday or once a week the problem never comes, its only if the car if parked for more than 1-2 weeks.

Well humayun is right.The rear wheels get locked with the hand break.The wheels get locked if you park it in hand break for a long time.Well if water goes in then the breaks would be a bit inacurate as in when you press the pedel the car will take more time than normal to slow down.Next time you get your car service get your rear wheel cylinders checked and then if necesarry then raplace them if they are jamed.Hope this would solve your problem.
Old 24th August 2009, 10:03   #8
Senior - BHPian

The brake cylinders are quite healthy if the car brakes normally. Quite likely the cam actuator attached to the hand-brake cable (on the brake assembly near the wheel) has sludge / dirt which is preventing it from disengaging after the hand-brake is disengaged. There could also be rust / dirt / sludge accumulation in the drum which is binding the pad to drum, Get the brake assembly cleaned thoroughly.
Old 24th August 2009, 21:17   #9
BHPian

The brake assembly was cleaned just some month back. The braking is absolutely cool and working very good.

Its just the hand brake problem I guess. I have this time parked the car for longtime without hand brakes, lets see how it goes.
Old 25th August 2009, 16:30   #10
BHPian

Hey just a suggestion,

Try to diagnose which wheel is locking, there is minimal chances of all wheels locking together. Also before you conclude that braking is fine, try to test the linearity on a straight road by gently braking at steady but moderate speeds, if the car pulls in a partcular direction then the problem will surely be with the brake cylinders of a particular wheel. Though you have serviced the brakes the mechanics may not have checked the cylinder for this specific problem.
My gut feel is its got nothing to do with the hand brakes, I may be wrong.
Old 25th August 2009, 21:17   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Its the rear wheels that the brakes are applied to, also the cleaners those who wash the car have a habit of bathing the wheels with the left over water after the car is washed which is not good for the brakes, so ask your cleaner to not shower the wheels with the left over water.

Bang on pal that extra shower causes rust on the disc surface although it disappear s with little use > i guess it s what causes the binding of the pad with the disc surface !!
Old 26th August 2009, 11:16   #12
BHPian

The "tak-tak" noise is only of the HandBrake.

I once drove a 800 with it's Hand Brake still on. It just would not release. Luckily I had to just drive a meter or so only then called up my friend.
Old 26th August 2009, 18:36   #13
BHPian

I have a Swift Vxi, and I haven't faced this problem YET. Is it only for certain models/ variants?

Any prevention ideas other than correct cleaning and wiping of the rear wheels?
Old 10th December 2010, 20:02   #14

Re: Swift Brake Lock - Car Doesn't Move!

Quote:
Originally Posted by supercars View Post
The "tak-tak" noise is only of the HandBrake.

I once drove a 800 with it's Hand Brake still on. It just would not release. Luckily I had to just drive a meter or so only then called up my friend.

My rear wheel got locked after a rain and not using it for 4 days. any quick solution due to emergency?
Old 11th December 2010, 03:21   #15
Senior - BHPian

Re: Swift Brake Lock - Car Doesn't Move!

This happens generally during monsoons when brake shoes gets jammed and especially in rear wheels because in many cars rear wheels have drum brakes. This is a phenomena quite common since the Fiat days and necessitating an opening and freeing. In some cases it gets automatically released if we make jack rabbit starts.

The escapade is while parking ensure that the brakes are free by moving forward and rearward slowly and stopping without applying brakes during monsoons if you are gonna keep it parked for a while.

Last edited by rajeev k : 11th December 2010 at 03:23.

Most Viewed