Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th January 2017, 09:19   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Intermittent Electrical Problem in SX4 ZDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmadhusudan View Post

Brake Light and ABS indications come ON together intermittently for couple of seconds and then go off. While they are ON, the steering becomes hard to move

horn blew with very less sound as if the battery is not supplying power to it, again this happened for couple of seconds

while switching ON the head lights in traffic
Since the EPS , ABS,brake light and horns are all showing symptoms , in my view , this is a case of common supply undervoltage/capacity limitation , and a pure electrical issue.It can be a simple case of wires nibbled away by rats OR a loose connection.

I would advise you to

a)inspect the wiring from the battery to the main fuses in the engine bay and then also check the main fuse box which houses the many relays and a few fuses in the main fuse box . Please refer to your owner manual.

b)inspect the wiring bunch at the engine firewall - on drivers side and on the passengers side.These are the small ports from where the wiring is routed from engine bay into the cabin.

c)inspect the ECM wires(two bunches) for damage

d)inspect the wiring to the low level switch in the brake fluid reservoir for damage.Also please check if the level of brake fluid is normal.

e)inspect the ABS sensor cables on all 4 wheels for damage

You can check these yourself.

If you find anything amiss , please disconnect the battery -ve before fixing the wires.
vigsom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th January 2017, 10:03   #32

Thanks a Ton vigsom for the detailed advise, shall surely do these things and will post the outcome
Old 27th January 2017, 10:21   #33

Hi, I did a complete and thorough check of all cables, wires and connectors including those of ABS behind all four wheels, could not find any tell-tale marks of any cut/abrasion/burn marks on any cables/wires.

Drove it today to office 50Kms, nothing happened, planning to take it for scanning tomorrow, will update if something comes up in that. Scanning also would give instances of occurrence in 'history' but not in 'current list', but I might catch up on some useful info, lets see!

BTW during the check I found the vacuum rubber pipe broken and hanging which I changed, this of course is not related.
Old 27th January 2017, 15:30   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi All

Since last few days some times the Brake Light and ABS indications come ON together intermittently for couple of seconds and then go off. While they are ON, the steering becomes hard to move, this happens only for couple of seconds, after which everything is normal again.

The third time it happened while switching ON the head lights in traffic, during which could not feel the symptoms as the vehicle had just started to move and the Brake light and ABS indications went off immediately.
This could be a problem with the Alternator or regulator which fails to provide power to the vehicle at some instances.

When multiple tell-tale lights come on, it is a sign of battery voltage below normal. Since the car is running when this happens, when the alternator cannot provide power, the battery will have to power up the entire system, which it cant and hence the power intensive components like steering will not work correctly.

I am not sure how it can be done, but the regulator and alternator should be checked for issues.
Old 29th January 2017, 07:39   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi, I did a complete and thorough check of all cables, wires and connectors
BTW during the check I found the vacuum rubber pipe broken and hanging which I changed, this of course is not related.
Your brake booster wouldn't have worked well enough with that damaged hose but it won't throw up errors.

As a last check you could check if the alternator coupler is intact , the connections on the battery are intact and if the alternator belt is not slipping.
Old 30th January 2017, 17:49   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
Your brake booster wouldn't have worked well enough with that damaged hose but it won't throw up errors.

As a last check you could check if the alternator coupler is intact , the connections on the battery are intact and if the alternator belt is not slipping.
I had changed the belt after the first time this incidence had happened along with the regular oil & filter change, checked all the connections, the battery connection(negative) was loose by a very less amount, tightened it fully.

Thanks for further suggestion! BTW I did a complete scan at MASS, they charged Rs550+Tax. There were no errors in either history or current related to Brakes and ABS. However there was another error, " Clutch Switch Input Circuit Malfunction-P0704", and this was not getting removed on refresh. It seems there is a switch near the clutch pedal, which was not getting pushed back,it had got stuck, was required to push manually to operate it multiple times, and it became normal.

Drove 50 Kms after this, till now everything's fine, hope the slightly lose battery terminal and the hose was the reason.
dmadhusudan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2017, 12:38   #37

Re: ABS light stays ON! Reason?

I have a Figo 2012 Titanium so far run only 25000 Kms... From yesterday the ABS lights are on, and I took it to Kavish Ford in Mumbai. They are saying three problems:
1. Rear bearing broken - replacement cost of 1500 Rs.
2. Front bearing broken - replacement cost of 8000 Rs.
3. ABS sensor - replacement of 4500 Rs.

I am slightly cheesed off with Ford -
1. How can all these break (understand that these are wear and tear components) in 25000 Kms?
2. If these are indeed wear and tear components, how can they be priced so exorbitant? My total cost of ownership of Figo is elsewhere with these replacements!
3. Also, every time i take my car to service, there will be some or the other problem which costs around 12-13k of spend.

With limited running of my car, I am seriously thinking of selling out the car and using Uber/ Ola whenever required. This is absurd and doesn't make sense
Old 30th May 2017, 13:20   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellipsis View Post
I have a Figo 2012 Titanium so far run only 25000 Kms... From yesterday the ABS lights are on, and I took it to Kavish Ford in Mumbai. They are saying three problems:
1. Rear bearing broken - replacement cost of 1500 Rs.
2. Front bearing broken - replacement cost of 8000 Rs.
3. ABS sensor - replacement of 4500 Rs.
Did you drive through water/slush or get the car washed recently?

Did the Ford technicians diagnose the Error using their scanner or was it a verbal diagnosis? I think they might have meant any ONE of the three problems listed above. It is highly unlikely for all three to occur at the same time.

Please advise the technicians to plug in their scan tool and check what the error is. It will usually be a problem with a single wheel, which can be serviced by taking apart the wheel drum/disc and cleaning the ABS sensor area. This should work usually. Only if not, then proceed with further work/replacements.
Old 30th May 2017, 15:20   #39

Thank you for the quick response. He says the following: they have checked with the scan tool and the error is shown for the sensor. However the sensor is not working because of the bearing being cracked (rear and front). He also says that they cleaned the sensor area seeing the sensor error and the light was off momentarily, however when the road test team did a running test the light came back. Further examination showed cracked bearing on rear (more so) and front. And the sensor probes on front are damaged as well. Thinking of a second opinion with another service center
Old 30th May 2017, 16:47   #40
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I have a Figo 2012 Titanium so far run only 25000 Kms...
Sounds really fishy, you might want to check with another service center before you conclude anything. Most likely a sensor or wire is creating this issue. Bearings failing at such a short interval can happen only if there was some serious impact on them egs hammering the wheel while mounted OR water seepage due to water fording??

Do take a second opinion before concluding.
Old 30th May 2017, 17:08   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Further examination showed cracked bearing on rear (more so) and front. And the sensor probes on front are damaged as well. Thinking of a second opinion with another service center
Is there a chance that, sensor wire got cut (rats probably!). It happened with colleagues Fiesta. Rats chewed one of the ABS sensor wire. Cut may be near wheel sensor or all the way up-to ECU. Get it checked with nearby FNG.

In addition I would also check ABS fuse in fuse box (behind glove box). There is a tiny chance that even fuse might have blown. You can check this yourself.

Last edited by GTO : 30th May 2017 at 20:17. Reason: Language
Old 30th May 2017, 18:51   #42
Senior - BHPian

Dont rule out wheel speed sensor. Dusty or damaged sensor will be indicated via ABS light with chances of steering wheel lighting up also possible.

Remove the wheels and do a thorough vacuum plus cleaning up the wheel and joint.
Old 30th May 2017, 19:16   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for the quick response. He says the following: they have checked with the scan tool and the error is shown for the sensor. However the sensor is not working because of the bearing being cracked (rear and front). He also says that they cleaned the sensor area seeing the sensor error and the light was off momentarily, however when the road test team did a running test the light came back. Further examination showed cracked bearing on rear (more so) and front. And the sensor probes on front are damaged as well. Thinking of a second opinion with another service center
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaguHolla View Post
Is there a chance that, sensor wire got cut (rats probably!). It happened with colleagues Fiesta.
Exactly; This happened to our Swift that we had; The ABS lights comes up, stays for few days and go off randomly for no reason. Several MASS in Chennai cleaned and changed everything from Sensors, whenever it goes for service. Finally, after about 2 years, it was diagnosed correctly by a different Authorized Service Centre as 'Rat bitten wire' and the problem was solved. So, ask them to check the wiring, before proceeding with other solutions.

Last edited by GTO : 30th May 2017 at 20:18. Reason: Quoted post edited
batman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st May 2017, 16:15   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman View Post
Exactly; This happened to our Swift that we had; The ABS lights comes up, stays for few days and go off randomly for no reason. Several MASS in Chennai cleaned and changed everything from Sensors, whenever it goes for service. Finally, after about 2 years, it was diagnosed correctly by a different Authorized Service Centre as 'Rat bitten wire' and the problem was solved. So, ask them to check the wiring, before proceeding with other solutions.
Got it checked with another dealer. After running the scanner and thoroughly checking, he says the sensor only needs to be replaced, and the cost is ~5000. Are the Ford spare prices standardized across dealers?
Old 31st May 2017, 16:30   #45
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Are the Ford spare prices standardized across dealers?
Good to know the bearings are aok. Yes parts price within the same city / state would be same since it is the common CRM that Ford uses.
Jaggu is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks