Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2009, 11:37   #1
BHPian

Whistling sound from my baleno exhaust

Hey guys, I have a baleno with a free flow exhaust made by Raj and for the past two days there seems to be a pretty significant whistling/squeeking sound coming from my exhaust(atleast i believe its from the exhaust). I noticed that this sound is heard when the gear is engaged, and at low rpms. Does anyone have any clue about this? do you think i should get it checked by raj or shouold i take it to the maruti service centres
Old 24th August 2009, 22:40   #2
Senior - BHPian

Hi,
Its probably a exhaust leak somehwere.I think you should take it to the guy who got the exhaust done for you rather than goto a MASS.
Old 13th October 2009, 16:17   #3
Senior - BHPian

Bumping up this thread as am facing a similar issue.

My Esteem's exhaust has developed a leak a few days ago. This was evident with the change in the exhaust note which was more obvious during my weekend trip to the Tirupati hills (due to high revvs). Once back home, I inspected the system and managed to figure out that the leak was at the place where the exhaust pipe joins the muffler. There have been no holes due to corrosion.

Now, my queries are:

1. Will this leak affect my fuel economy ? (I am a decent driver and drive only at sedate speeds. What I intend to say is that I am never harsh with the engine)

2. Since it is a small leak, can this be fixed by welding the affected area and if so will it last long ? (I spoke to the SA at M.A.S.S over the phone and he quoted a price of around 5.5K for replacing the affected portion alone. He says welding will only be a temporary fix. Is there a permanent fix to this other than replacing the unit ?)

3. What other precautions should I take during the time the car is to be repaired ?

4. I am sure that this is not due to any external impact and hence is this a precursor to something more serious ?

My car has clocked around 30K till date, 6 years old and is fully stock.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Last edited by rr_zen : 13th October 2009 at 16:19. Reason: Removed font tags.
Old 14th October 2009, 09:56   #4
BHPian

Dear rr_zen,

1. Certainly, a leak in the exhaust system is not desirable. A proper exhaust system provides back pressure(to some extent help retain engine temp) to the engine valves during the exhaust cycle to help retain fresh air/fuel mixture from being escaped along with exhaust gases. A leak in the exhaust system would definitely affect the fuel efficiency. Senior BHPians can correct me( if required.)

2. In my opinion, anything to do with engine performance, dont go for temporary fix. it might cost little more, but go A.S.S recommended solution..

3. If the solution provided by A.S.S , no need to worry.

4. I dont think so, But to be safer side. check for overheating of the engine or possible a rust in the affected area.
Old 14th October 2009, 13:50   #5
Senior - BHPian

@Hemant: Thank you for your reply. I did take the car to M.A.S.S this morning and took a look at the affected area myself along with the S.A from underneath. Looks like the area around where the exhaust pipe joins the muffler has worn out giving way for a crack to develop around it.

The affected area has been welded now and there is no grunt from the car with the exhaust note sounding normal. But, I have been told that this may or may not last long. The next time I hear the noise again is when I would go in for replacing the unit.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks