Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2009, 10:27   #16
Senior - BHPian

I have the exact same problem on my lancer, but its of little higher magnitude. during my last service i told the advisor to fix the leake and match the tappids as there was a lot of tapid noise. He applied silicon glue insted of replacing the gasket and leaks still happens. I did not know initially the oil loss was due to oil burning in the cylenders due to faulty rings or its because of leaks. I finnaly found out that the amount of oil reduction was more with time than with kms travelled. i went for a 3000Kms run completed in 7 days, and the oil lost was some 250ml and the car did some 1000 Kms in 3 months and the oil lost was close to a litre mostly city runs, office is 1.5 kms from home so mostly home office trips(lots of cold starts). The problem still persists and the car is due for service, i notice the oil spillage is near the distributer and going till the gear box, there is no underbody oil leaks its just this one. still my question is, could this be just the oil leaks whioh amounts to this level of oil loss or could there be a bigger problem. i will get the compression as well checked but mitsu might charge a bomb for it. any idea how much should a compression test be? also if some one can give me a idea of the gasket cost.

Thanks,

Pramod
Old 27th August 2009, 10:28   #17
Senior - BHPian

gpa,
If you noticed this prior to the switch over to Mobil too, then the oil can not be the reason for this leak.
Old 29th August 2009, 18:21   #18
BHPian

During last service, while changing the oil, I heard the service manager shouting on the guy who was pouring in the engine oil. Reason was he did not use the funnel to pour in the oil, and did it directly from the container. Results are here with the pics. Not sure about the gasket defect though. Are you sure, as mentioned earlier that there were no engine oil spillage while changing the oil? Is not it too early for the gasket to fail, or it is our bad luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Oil Stain on Engine Cover-img_1326.jpg  

Old 30th August 2009, 19:59   #19
gpa
Senior - BHPian

sbanerjee,

Am positive there was no spillage. I filled in Mobil 1 at the 10k service and stood by looking at the mechanic pour in the oil from the bottle. Also, if you look at my picture, you'll see that the stain starts exactly at the point of the gasket and doesn't have a trail from the oil filler cap like your pic.

Regards,
gpa
Old 19th October 2009, 12:32   #20
Senior - BHPian

Hi,
Did the gasket change clear the oil stains problem ?
Old 21st October 2009, 11:31   #21
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Hi,
Did the gasket change clear the oil stains problem ?
Yes it did. I have been away from my beloved T-Bhp for close to 3 weeks now :( I logged in just this morning and saw your post now.

Post the change of the gasket, the stain has vanished. The odo now reads ~22,000 kms, which means over 2,000 kms of driving post the service which includes trips on the highway as well and this problem has not resurfaced again.

Regards,
gpa
Old 24th February 2010, 02:57   #22
BHPian

GPA,

Can you tell the bill for changing the gasket, and the procedural aspect? I mean basically what they did? Mine has developed same problem.
Old 24th February 2010, 11:06   #23
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbanerjee View Post
GPA,

Can you tell the bill for changing the gasket, and the procedural aspect? I mean basically what they did? Mine has developed same problem.
IIRC, the bill was ~Rs. 75 for the rubber gasket. Since this was changed as part of the 20k kms service, the labor charges were included into that as well.

The procudure they followed was drain engine oil, remove cover, adjust valve clearances (since the engine cover was removed, install new gasket and seal it with heat resistant glue - anabond and refit the engine cover.

Cheers,
gpa
Old 24th February 2010, 11:48   #24
Senior - BHPian

This is the 'valve door gasket aka "packing" '. Not to be confused with the 'head gasket'
Old 24th February 2010, 14:17   #25
BHPian

Same issue once cropped up in my car, I initially thought it was an overflow problem but with time understood it was a gasket problem. Once its fixed it will not reappear, until next service if they don't fix the gasket properly again. With Maruti I have had bad gasket experiences :P

Nice to see there is no leakage now
Old 16th September 2010, 18:12   #26
BHPian

Gasket Packing Leaking

Yesterday when I opened Bonnet to check Oil Status, there was visible leak of oil near sparkplug and Head, Please see attached picture below....

I called Bimal and took appointment tomorrow to fix this, Manager Suresh told, it would cost ~60 + Labour. now my question is, why does this happen ? My Car has run 44k KM only and why Gasket has to Leak so soon, Will this happen again after I fix, what are the necessary precautions i need to take ?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Oil Stain on Engine Cover-photo0001.jpg  

Oil Stain on Engine Cover-photo0004.jpg  

Oil Stain on Engine Cover-photo0005.jpg  

Oil Stain on Engine Cover-photo0006.jpg  

Oil Stain on Engine Cover-photo0003.jpg  

Old 20th September 2010, 07:38   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
IIRC, the bill was ~Rs. 75 for the rubber gasket. Since this was changed as part of the 20k kms service, the labor charges were included into that as well.

The procudure they followed was drain engine oil, remove cover, adjust valve clearances (since the engine cover was removed, install new gasket and seal it with heat resistant glue - anabond and refit the engine cover.

Cheers,
gpa
Just an Update, I got my Packing changed. ~35 for the Gasket and 40 for the labour. GPA can you tell me is valve clearance necessary, when i asked the mechanic in bimal, he told me its not needed.

They just removed the Top Part, removed the old broken gasket, cleaned that area with petrol, then used some kind of adhesive, installed a new gasket and fit back everything. Is this fine ?
Old 20th September 2010, 09:04   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnruben View Post
Just an Update, I got my Packing changed. ~35 for the Gasket and 40 for the labour. GPA can you tell me is valve clearance necessary, when i asked the mechanic in bimal, he told me its not needed.

They just removed the Top Part, removed the old broken gasket, cleaned that area with petrol, then used some kind of adhesive, installed a new gasket and fit back everything. Is this fine ?
Yes this seems fine and a good job too. Valve clearance maybe tappet adjustment you are talking which is again not needed unless you hear tappet noise. This is done if you remove whole head for some work (not just cover) and removing cover does not disturb any setting.
Old 20th September 2010, 21:22   #29
BHPian

Thanks Hashim for clarifying.

The vehicle is running fine, infact i felt more power.
Old 27th February 2014, 19:17   #30
BHPian

Innova oil on breather pipe (I maybe wrong )

Hi all ,this is about my 2007 Aug model 97 thousand kms driven Innova G4 model.The car is regularly serviced with Toyota and has done Mumbai Goa few times plus is also a veteran of Mumbai Ladakh trip. The car was sent to Toyota for oil on breather pipe i assume it so because the pipe connects the turbo and air filter. Toyota performed a compression test and advice's engine rebuild as the compression is weak according to them. The engine starts with ease doesn't consume excessive oil so it beats me why should one go for an engine overhaul. Attaching a few pic s of the same problem highlighted with oil marks please advice .
Attached Thumbnails
Oil Stain on Engine Cover-engine-marked.jpg  

Oil Stain on Engine Cover-engine-heavy-marked.jpg  

Oil Stain on Engine Cover-engine-close-up.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks