Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2009, 12:10   #1
BANNED

Maruti Zen submerged in water

I drive a used 6 year old Maruti Zen which had done 80K on Odo. Couple of days back in Pune, while coming back home from work, there was very heavy rain and I misjudged a dip nearby much house and put my Car inside the dip.
When I saw that the nearby kids are swimming in the newly created pond, I realized it was too late for me and I was in the middle of the water.
Somehow I managed to take the car out of water (Car was still running) and I drove about 50 meters and Zen just stalled and refused to start. I tried starting it couple of times and pushed it on the side of the road. Then I called my local mechanic, who knows the car since day I bought it. He managed to start the car by wiping some part of the Car.
That night I drove home and drove it the next day for barely 20 kms. The next day evening, I started feeling the trouble. Zen lost all its pickup and started acting weird with strange noises. The engine just shut off couple of time in middle of the Car. I had to crank it both the times.
Took it to the same garage and drained all the oil from engine and put new one. There was lot of water mixed with oil. Got the pickup back but the bearing and some hissing noises were still there. Mechanic said, need to open the engine and check bearings as well as piston and that’s going to cost me around 20K
Now I know this guy for couple of years and I really trust him with my Car. The car was really in deep water as I could find the dirty stains on top of the engine.
I will post an update once I see the Car tomorrow morning.
Old 27th August 2009, 12:16   #2
Senior - BHPian

I guess you shouldn't have driven it the next day at all. The engine oil should have been checked, and at the first signs of water in the engine, it should have been taken to the workshop.

Last edited by Blue Thunder : 27th August 2009 at 12:17.
Old 27th August 2009, 12:19   #3
Senior - BHPian

Cranking & driving after a deep dip - a NO-NO!

Let your trusted mechanic take a look. I hope the damage is not too bad!
Old 27th August 2009, 12:22   #4
BHPian

if water entered into ur engine throught your intake manifold or in some other way, there could be a chance of a bent con rod!! I just hope thats not the case with you.

Cheers
Shrey
Old 27th August 2009, 12:52   #5
Senior - BHPian

Please get the car especially engine and manifold looked at by the MASS. There has been cases of submerged cars when started either one of the cylinders not firing or the con. rod bent or broken due to excessive friction.
Old 27th August 2009, 12:59   #6
Senior - BHPian

Shucks man, you should not have cranked the vehicle after it being submerged. Anyway lets see what your mechanic has to say. So did the interiors get wet too ?
Old 27th August 2009, 13:06   #7
BANNED

The interiors did not get wet. May be the floor mats. Car was in the water barely for few seconds. may be 15 -20 seconds. So somehow water did not enter inside the Car
Old 27th August 2009, 13:11   #8
Senior - BHPian

Attempting to start the car after it had stalled in middle of water is not a good decision. I wonder how the engine was able to run. The fact that there was water above engine level indicates that the water was really deep and its possible that water had entered in the intake manifold. I think if water had entered in engine, you are suffering from bent/damaged connecting rods. In worst case, your crank will also be affected. I am not sure if the engine is interference type or not. If it is then there are chances that your valves and piston will also be affected. Water had mixed with oil and hence the lubrication would not be perfect. I suggest that you take you car to MASS and get the car inspected. I am not asking you not to trust you mechanic, but atleast get the car inspected from MASS. If you are informed that the engine has to opened decide from where you want to get the job done. But a thorough inspection is required for your car.
Old 28th August 2009, 17:24   #9
Senior - BHPian

The engine stalling a couple of seconds in water is enough to suck water into it. The first time your car stalled, was reason enough not to crank it again. We have already seen what water in the engine could do (someone's Honda CRV posted here).

Too bad, mate. You need to brace yourself for hefty repairs.
Old 28th August 2009, 18:16   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

From what you described I guess it is issue of water getting mixed with lubricant and not getting in to engine compression zone. So bent con rod etc are not "likely" trouble.

Damage is likely to bearing and piston rings.

Now question - how did water get in to the lube chamber? Oil filler intake is on top and AFAIK there is no other opening. So was it sucked in from intake or exhaust? If so you are indeed lucky that there was no water lock and bent con rods.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks