Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2009, 19:15   #1
BHPian

Swift ZXI airbag replacement - to do or not to do ?

A friend of mine met with an accident recently in his Swift which led to the deployment of his car's airbags. The airbags helped him escape the accident unscathed but he has his concerns now about the cost of replacing these airbags and the quality of the work that would be carried out.

Info about the cost of replacing these along with a list of places where these can be replaced is hence needed.
Old 27th August 2009, 19:23   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revvedup View Post
A friend of mine met with an accident recently in his Swift which led to the deployment of his car's airbags. The airbags helped him escape the accident unscathed but he has his concerns now about the cost of replacing these airbags and the quality of the work that would be carried out.

Info about the cost of replacing these along with a list of places where these can be replaced is hence needed.
Well Airbags deployed means a serious impact so he should get them replaced from same place he is getting rest of his car repaired.
After coming out unscathed does he still have a question if they should be replaced or not ?
Old 27th August 2009, 19:42   #3
BHPian

Please see this thread -> https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...onditions.html (ABS & Airbag requirement in indian conditions)

Search before you start a new thread
Old 27th August 2009, 20:14   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Well Airbags deployed means a serious impact so he should get them replaced from same place he is getting rest of his car repaired.
After coming out unscathed does he still have a question if they should be replaced or not ?
+1

Even after such an accident, he's worried about costs of life-saving equipments ?!
Old 27th August 2009, 20:27   #5
BHPian

You are not getting the picture guys. The problem in question is a bigger one.

My friend did not have insurance and hence is unsure whether he should bear the high cost of getting the car's airbags replaced at a very high cost and probably low quality of workmanship or sell the car off ?

Another surprising thing is that the co-passenger air bag was deployed even in the absence of a co-passenger. Doesn't the swift have sensors to prevent the same ?

Last edited by revvedup : 27th August 2009 at 20:32.
revvedup is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2009, 20:33   #6
Senior - BHPian

25,000 bucks. The full airbags kit for the swift zxi.
Old 27th August 2009, 20:49   #7
BHPian

My friend went to the maruti outlet today and they quoted him price of around 35k for driver's airbag , 45K for the passenger and additional costs for getting the sensor sorted. They gave him a final quote of 125 K.

Where did you get the quote of 25 K from ?

Last edited by revvedup : 27th August 2009 at 20:55.
Old 27th August 2009, 21:00   #8
BHPian

No Insurance !! Very very bad ! Bad for himself and other road users.
Car insurance is so crucial and important ! I hope he was atleast qualified to drive !

I would seriously reccomend getting the air bags sorted at the A.S.S its a very crucial component and you would not want it failing on you !

I am sorry though he met with an accident and I hoe no one was hurt !

cheers
Old 27th August 2009, 21:36   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
25,000 bucks. The full airbags kit for the swift zxi.
Come on nitrous, that doesn't even cover the cost of an after market ECU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by revvedup View Post
My friend went to the maruti outlet today and they quoted him price of around 35k for driver's airbag , 45K for the passenger and additional costs for getting the sensor sorted. They gave him a final quote of 125 K.

Where did you get the quote of 25 K from ?
Seems more realistic figures.

Next since the swift airbags system is a low end system, the deployment in case of a front crash is just applied to both airbags. In higher end system the passenger detection stuff is available and gets active.

Insurance if it were in place would have covered just half only.

The question of whether to replace or not - for your own safety it must be.
I do not think without replacing it would fetch any value in the second hand market - further everybody knows the story about the accident and impact on the car.

Phew!! I remember once in the showroom some one asking the service advisor can I switch off the driver airbags??? He does not want any deployment and costs. Then why do you buy such a car with safety systems? Swift Vxi with ABS was very much available.

All the units are available separately for replacement. the only thing would be the final calibration, which I guess would also be a non issue since the current ECU itself will be changed with the new one.

Last edited by laluks : 27th August 2009 at 21:39.
Old 27th August 2009, 22:52   #10
Team-BHP Support

Why was he driving around without insurance ? Risky and illegal !
Old 28th August 2009, 09:02   #11
Senior - BHPian

The airbags saved him his life or at least from serious injury. Now instead of being grateful, he is considering the cost of airbags versus the cost of his life or temp/permanent disability.

On second thoughts, he did not have car insurance instead of buying a top spec Swift. What is he doing with these savings. Those are already gone (and some more) because he did not have insurance for the car and its airbags, and he must buy airbags. Some sort of strange priorities with your friend.

Last edited by vasudeva : 28th August 2009 at 09:08.
Old 28th August 2009, 09:39   #12
BHPian

At first place driving without insuring your vechile is as good as driving without lisence !!
I suggest he should check the cost of his car in used market ( am sure it would be pretty low), then he should take a call.
But spending 1.25 k on a heavy banged up car is not what i would have done. I would have simply sold it off for what ever i got, expensive lesson learnt !
Old 28th August 2009, 10:39   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Not actually only 3ed Party damages Insurance is mandatory.

It is absolutely not necessary and not required as per law to take insurance coverage for accidental self damages and thefts though it may be prudent to do so at times. If an individual is willing to bear the risk himself why not.

My 2001 CBZ has only 3ed party insurance now.Aas I can very well bear any accidental self damage or theft myself and willing to bear that risk.

As I understand the question now, If the person in question is mulling the option between selling the car with out repairs vs getting it repaired and then using it I would say the first option is preferable as there might be serious damages to Chasis and crumble zone and if ever there is an accident next time he may not be able to reap benifitis of safety features.

So in Nutshell
1.5 Lakh for selling damaged car + 1.25 saved by not repairing = 2.75 Lakhs.

I doubt he will get more then 2.75 for an accident repaired car

So If he can fork out another 2/3 lakhs buying a new hatchback after selling current one on as it is where it is basis is better option.

Last edited by amitk26 : 28th August 2009 at 10:45.
Old 28th August 2009, 11:12   #14
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
+1 to that! He would have been in a very sticky situation if there was loss of life. If the car was totalled, there is no point spending 1.25 lacs on the airbags system. Best to sell it and buy a new one.
Old 28th August 2009, 11:18   #15
BHPian

Please post pictures of the damaged vehicle if possible - would help people getting a fair idea.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks