Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2009, 13:51   #1
Senior - BHPian

Help! Baleno AC not working after car stalled in water.

Today morning I was to drop my sister to her job place ( GPS ) and then drop my grandfather at bus stand.
I took Baleno for this as it was raining and it rained all night. I was sure of water lodging on the road, but never saw this coming.
At one place there was construction on new flyover going on. I took turn after reading diversion. Mid way through it I realized there was some water, so shifted into first, floored the throttle and let the clutch slip. Unfortunately the car stalled. AC was on when we entered the water as I did not want fog on the screen and others were not comfortable without AC.

Started the car again and the car started normally. Drove for the left over distance ( of diversion ), but when I stopped in traffic jam, there was smoke coming out of bonnet. Not exactly the black smoke, but as if water was hitting hot engine and steam was coming out. I felt like that. Did not switch on the AC now. AC was switched off when the car stalled.

After dropping my sister and her friend, I noticed that AC is not working, cool air is not coming. In traffic jam, I switched off the AC and the idling came down to around 800-900rpm which is normal for our car. When I pressed the AC button, the rpm rose to 1K rpm. This makes me feel there is no damage to compressor.

Can somebody shed some light on what has happened ? Is the compressor damaged ? Or is there some damage in front part like condensor ?

I am very tense considering the fact that Baleno has some expensive parts up front.

I want to get some rough estimate before I step into MASS.

Also other mechanical bits are working well, the engine is showing same level of pickup, etc. No issues here.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 29th August 2009 at 13:53.
Old 29th August 2009, 14:21   #2
Senior - BHPian

its better to show it to MASS than making own conclusions!

is the blower motor running or that too has burn out?
Old 29th August 2009, 14:31   #3
Senior - BHPian

The blower motor is working well.

Keeping Ignition on ON I kept blower at Speed 1 and then pressed the AC switch. No particular noise from engine compartment.

Is it that compressor is gone ?
I am very worried on this. Is the compressor servicable or is there some sort of fan ( M800 fan clicks in ) that is blown ?
Old 29th August 2009, 16:28   #4
Team-BHP Support

Might be a blown fuse, just take it to a competent mech and he should sort it out easy.
Old 29th August 2009, 23:24   #5
Senior - BHPian

Drove the car today evening.
Observed that :

1) With the car on idle, when I pressed the AC switch, there was usual rise in rpm and some vibration. This is how it used to be.

I am now keeping my fingers crossed on this. Will repair the car as soon as I am able to find time from my admission process.

However, any hints on cost of AC compressor will be helpful for me to get mentally prepared.
I am also thinking that fan in AC condenser is not working. Usually there is some sound of fan noise, which is not coming now.
Old 29th August 2009, 23:50   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
I am also thinking that fan in AC condenser is not working. Usually there is some sound of fan noise, which is not coming now.
Likely cause is a condenser cooling fan short-circuit - or simply a blown fan fuse, saving the fan from a complete burnout. Check if the fan is running when the AC is switched on. If it doesn't, then take it out, clean it up and check on a test bench if it runs ok. Then put it back to its normal use after replacing the fuse.
Old 30th August 2009, 20:50   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Aaggoswami, water is external enemy no.1 to the compressor, alternator and starter. That's precisely why I hate taking my Jeep through ponds & lakes (when offroading). However, after water-fording, I have never had any of these components fail immediately. My bet is a blown fuse or short circuit too. Good luck with the diagnosis & do update us once you have the report in your hands.
Old 31st August 2009, 00:31   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Likely cause is a condenser cooling fan short-circuit - or simply a blown fan fuse, saving the fan from a complete burnout. Check if the fan is running when the AC is switched on.
The fan does not come on when AC is switched on. This is what I mentioned earlier. When the engine is not started and with key in ON position, if I press AC button, there was fan noise coming, but now there is no noise.

With the engine on Idle and AC switched on, there is slight vibration and rpm rise which is normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Aaggoswami, water is external enemy no.1 to the compressor, alternator and starter.
My bet is a blown fuse or short circuit too. Good luck with the diagnosis & do update us once you have the report in your hands.
Realized this the hard way round. Earlier only issue was a failed alternator in M800 when dad invaded in water. But found out that Baleno is even more low slung than M800.

I seriously hope compressor is OK and I can get away with just a blown fuse or at the most, fan or some component which wont cost much. Baleno components upfront are quite expensive ( a bill in my accident thread is attached ).

From what I have read, compressor can be repaired or serviced. If compressor shows any issue, I will first try to get it repaired. I think its some " Scroll type " compressor.

Will update the thread as soon as I am aware of the issue. Currently busy with academics ( cant take Baleno highway now ), but as soon as repair is carried out, will update this thread.
Old 7th September 2009, 19:12   #9
Senior - BHPian

Update.

I checked the car and concluded that the first thing to look into was fuse box. Opened it, and initially thought that the relay was fuse as it was marked on cover. But before messing up with relay, common sense came to driving seat and I did not mess up with it.

Took the car to Kiran motors on Sunday. One human being said " A/C technician is not there, come tomorrow and meet Neha madam ". I said " OK, what is your name ". He replied " I cannot give my name, its a crime here ".

From there, took the car to Amar motors. A/C technician was there. But as I mentioned my problem to one Mr. Bhavsar, he took the keys and we were in front of Baleno. He started A/C, opened the hood, called in a human who was not even in Amar motor's dress. He opened fuse box, changed the fuse from another one and the condenser fan started.

He then took the bad fuse, made a shortcut for temporary solution. I know what he has done, just added a wire.

A/C is now working in the same old excellent manner.
Old 7th September 2009, 19:58   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
He opened fuse box, changed the fuse from another one and the condenser fan started.

He then took the bad fuse, made a shortcut for temporary solution. I know what he has done, just added a wire.

A/C is now working in the same old excellent manner.
Glad to know your problem has been sorted out without expense, and happy to have got my diagnosis proved right.
Quote:
...simply a blown fan fuse...
And thanks for the bit below...
Quote:
One human being said " A/C technician is not there, come tomorrow and meet Neha madam ". I said " OK, what is your name ". He replied " I cannot give my name, its a crime here ".
ROFL...
Old 7th September 2009, 22:05   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Glad to know your problem has been sorted out without expense, and happy to have got my diagnosis proved right.

And thanks for the bit below...

ROFL
My father also asked me not to worry. It was a fuse problem. And at TBHP I had earlier read one more experience with M800 facing similar problem that was a blown fuse. Your post, along with others in this thread helped me.

The way I described the problem and the way I was talking cars, Mr. Bhavsar asked me " Do you have a garage of your own ? ". I was shocked, how come a BCA graduate be called a person called a mechanic. He appreciated my knowledge ( again, thanks to TBHP and ACI ).

The cost of repair = Rs. 0.

A point for those who are driving in water : Before entering into the accumulated water, make sure you have switched OFF your AC.
Old 7th September 2009, 22:26   #12
jav
BHPian

Try to get the fuse replaced, adding a wire to a blown fuse is not recommended.
Old 7th September 2009, 23:24   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jav View Post
Try to get the fuse replaced, adding a wire to a blown fuse is not recommended.
Currently M800 is in service for suspension, water pump and locks. Once the car is back, Baleno will get a fuse change.

Is it possible to get a fuse at any spares shop ? Do they sell fuse for Baleno? Kiran motors was so rough I decided to walk out.

I did visit one place but he thought I was asking for fuse of Bolero. So walked out.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 7th September 2009 at 23:26.
Old 8th September 2009, 00:10   #14
jav
BHPian

If you know how to remove the fuse then you can take the blown fuse to any good spares shop and get the same type of fuse, or you can take your car to your service center and ask them to replace the fuse, just make sure that the fuse is of the same amps rating and not higher. Fuses are approx 10-20rs each. I always keep an extra set of fuses with me so that i can avoid adding wire to a blown fuse.

Last edited by jav : 8th September 2009 at 00:15.
Old 8th September 2009, 17:01   #15
Senior - BHPian

Fuses are available at almost all motor spare shops( fakes or local can be made out by the quality of plastic and edges sticking out), if you can tell the color you will get the same rating. by the way compressor would have costed 12k+ refill+ servicing charges

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks