Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2009, 17:53   #1
BHPian

Burn marks on DMF and Clutch - Need urgent help!

I had replaced Dual Mass Flywheel(DMF), Clutch and Clutch Master and Slave Cylinders 10 months back and completed 12K KMS since then. But I started facing problems with Clutch and Transmission since the past 3 months. Clutch becomes very hard after driving in bumper to bumper traffic for about 15 minutes. Once this happens the Gearshift also becomes hard and shifting into 1st and 2nd gear requires lot of effort and I could feel lot of strain on the entire drivetrain. If I stop driving the car for few days it would once again come back to normal.

After repeated complaints, they (Ford Delaer) finally agreed to dismantle everything and check. They did so in the morning and my worst fears have come true. They called me and informed that there are burn marks on both Clutch and DMF although I yet to see it myself.

I need help from experts. Want to understand why this has happened? Is it because of poor installation job done by the dealer when they replaced the parts earlier? I will post some pics tomorrow to show the damage.

I very badly need some advice.
Old 8th September 2009, 10:10   #2
BHPian

I inspected both DMF and Clutch; both seem to have burn marks on them. DMF has developed some play, the outer disc moves for about one and half inches in the clockwise direction when rotated. However there is no sign of any wear on Clutch and DMF. Service Manager says the Clutch hardening happens because of the play in DMF. But I think it is utter rubbish, looks like DMF developed the play because the Clutch wasn’t releasing properly for some reason.

The DMF was replaced since it had lot of play and causing a clunk noise while starting the Engine and Clutch and Slave Cylinders were replaced because of hard Clutch. Although the clunk noise disappeared Clutch never felt right and it always remained rather hard. That is the reason why I replaced the pedal MC but it didn’t solve the problem either. I suspect there is something (other than DMF, Clutch, Slave and Master Cylinder) in the Clutch assembly that is causing the problem.

Checked the Release Bearing it felt rather stiff and I had to apply considerable pressure to move it back. Is this normal? What else should I be looking at? What causes the Clutch to harden up after a bit of usage? I don’t trust Ford *** guys; I really need some help to get this resolved.

Also I want to know if I could claim warranty on the DMF, it costs 22K. I replaced it in Jan and covered 11k KMS but the warranty is for 6Monts/10k KMS. I had been complaining about this Clutch problem ever since it was replaced in Jan and considering this do I have the right to claim Warranty?

PS: Few pics of the DMF attached below.
Attached Thumbnails
Burn marks on DMF and Clutch - Need urgent help!-dmf1.jpg  

Burn marks on DMF and Clutch - Need urgent help!-dmf2.jpg  

Last edited by novice : 8th September 2009 at 10:22.
Old 9th September 2009, 00:29   #3
Senior - BHPian

When you turn the DMF, it should be well damped/not too easy to turn. If it freewheels, it's gone. Push for replacement.

Actually push for replacement anyway. I don't know what Ford's policy is, but this seems to be a case of improper installation.
Old 9th September 2009, 14:34   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
When you turn the DMF, it should be well damped/not too easy to turn. If it freewheels, it's gone. Push for replacement.

Actually push for replacement anyway. I don't know what Ford's policy is, but this seems to be a case of improper installation.
Thanks v1p3r!

Actually I am pushing for both DMF and Clutch to be replaced under warranty. I am in good terms with some influential people at the dealership, so hoping for the best. But the problem is that even if I get new DMF and Clutch it is highly likely that they too would end with a similar fate because my car busted two pairs of DMF/Clutch in a year's time. So far, all the simptoms point to Clutch sticking rather than slipping. So I guess I have to replace release bearing, cutch cable and pedal linkage.

Btw, I am bit disappointed that I didn't get any help from fellow members. But in a way, it is good since it allowed me to learn a lot on this stuff. When I googled I was surprised to know that this problem of burnt Clutches and Flywheels is a very common occurrence. So I am posting my experience here so that others may benefit from it.
Old 13th September 2009, 01:45   #5
Senior - BHPian

what ford is it?

and you waited for 12k kms. its clear that warranty is out. and i must say either it was not properly installed or you ride the clutch.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks