Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2009, 16:55   #1

Fiat Linea Diesel Mileage Problem

I purchased the emotion pack model of Linea Diesel on the 24th of July and have driven the car for about 3500 kms since (mostly city driving), but my FE has never gone over 8kmpl. What's worse is that for the first time when i took it on the highway (about 300kms journey) my FE dropped further to 5.5 kmpl. People at TATA say that the car has no problems, but I cant imagine the average from the 1.3 litre multijet engine to be so low. I desperately need advise on what i should do.
Old 8th September 2009, 17:54   #2
Senior - BHPian

Kunal, there is something definitely wrong somewhere. people are getting much better figures with the linea. how are you calculating the FE? Btw, pls check if you have put the MID to liters/100 km. If so, you must be getting approx 18 in the highway and 12.5 in the city.
JayD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2009, 18:12   #3
BHPian

It can't be...

Exactly as JayD pointed out.. I think you are looking at Lts / 100 kms..

If so.. the service engineer should have atleast pointed out that..

I am sure that MJD does not give less than 15 in highway.. however you drive it.. In my recent long trip of about 1200kms.. I literally pushed the car to its limits every now and then and the average mileage never dropped below 15.8km/lt..

Generally under normal highway cruising, the car delivers close to 18 or 19km/lt

In city I get close to 14km/lt average..Sometimes 12.5km/lt depending on my driving. It has never gone below that limit..

So please check your settings.

Regards,
Sathya

Last edited by Sathya_sc : 8th September 2009 at 18:13.
Old 8th September 2009, 18:26   #4
Team-BHP Support

Can you check for a leaking diesel filter. Else, its next to impossible for the MJD to deliver these figures.
Old 8th September 2009, 20:05   #5
Senior - BHPian

I think that tank full to tank full method will be the most accurate one as I have observed that most of the fuel gauges are not accurate. This is true for many cars. We are relying on this technique for long. Tripmeter will be your good friend here in tank full to tank full evaluation.
Next, check for leaks and ask your dealer to completely check your car. I think that big petrol driven Prado delivers around 8 on highway.
Old 8th September 2009, 20:13   #6
BHPian

I suggest you to check full tank to full tank method and confirm the mileage.Also you could be a victim of fuel bunk cheating.If you were filling diesel from the same bunk.
If both the cases results are negative.Then raise the issue with fiat authorities.It is unbelievable to see such mileages for a diesel linea its a proven engine and wont deliver such mileage figures.Hope every things get sorted out asap
Old 8th September 2009, 20:33   #7
BHPian

i concur with sathya that u must be seeing litre /100 km .
Old 8th September 2009, 22:45   #8
Senior - BHPian

i was also initially confused with that as sathya pointed out. then changed to kmpl now
Old 8th September 2009, 23:19   #9
Senior - BHPian

Is the fuel really burning inside the engine or it just rotates due to the mere flow of diesel?

Something is definitely wrong, pray that it's not a major fault.

Last edited by clevermax : 8th September 2009 at 23:21.
Old 8th September 2009, 23:56   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunalgulati1234 View Post
I purchased the emotion pack model of Linea Diesel on the 24th of July and have driven the car for about 3500 kms since (mostly city driving), but my FE has never gone over 8kmpl. What's worse is that for the first time when i took it on the highway (about 300kms journey) my FE dropped further to 5.5 kmpl. People at TATA say that the car has no problems, but I cant imagine the average from the 1.3 litre multijet engine to be so low. I desperately need advise on what i should do.
Thats v. strange, surely theres a problem. Get your car checked with some experts at the dealer asap.

My Linea (petrol) gives 16-17 on high way and 12-13 in city with 100% AC.
Old 10th September 2009, 15:08   #11

Thanks for the response guys, i am pretty sure that the average is around 8 kmpl for city driving. I have even tried the full tank method and the average is truly around 8 kmpl. Even went to the Fiat Dealership in Faridabad (Tayal Motors), they checked the car and said everything was ok, but they refuse to help any further. Am not sure what i should do next. Am considering going to a mechanic elsewhere and asking him to do a through check of the car. Lets hope i can figure the problem out soon.
Old 10th September 2009, 16:03   #12
BHPian

Please write on the CEOdesk
Old 10th September 2009, 16:07   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunalgulati1234 View Post
Thanks for the response guys, i am pretty sure that the average is around 8 kmpl for city driving. I have even tried the full tank method and the average is truly around 8 kmpl. Even went to the Fiat Dealership in Faridabad (Tayal Motors), they checked the car and said everything was ok, but they refuse to help any further. Am not sure what i should do next. Am considering going to a mechanic elsewhere and asking him to do a through check of the car. Lets hope i can figure the problem out soon.
Did you check the display settings for l/100 km or km/l like JayD pointed out? If it is dropping on highway from city mileage, there are high chances that your setting is indeed L/100 km.

Anyway, with FE of 5.5 kmpl, for highway run of 300 kms, you would have roughly required 55 liters of diesel. Was that really the case?
Old 10th September 2009, 21:51   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135 View Post
Did you check the display settings for l/100 km or km/l like JayD pointed out? If it is dropping on highway from city mileage, there are high chances that your setting is indeed L/100 km.

Anyway, with FE of 5.5 kmpl, for highway run of 300 kms, you would have roughly required 55 liters of diesel. Was that really the case?
Yes very rightly pointed out. The very fact that FE dipped (according to OP) during the highway run points out to the fact that the display is in Lt/100 Km. That's the default setting in all new cars. Changing the units was the first thing that I did in our car after we got it. So chances are that that you're reading the display wrongly. Check the MID for what unit it is displaying. Changing the units is explained in the manual.
But if your tank full method also gives you a FE of 8 then buddy, you definitely have a problem.
Old 4th November 2011, 14:34   #15
BHPian

Re: Fiat Linea Diesel Mileage Problem

Hello Friends I am also having issues with FE in my Linea emo pak Multijet. Why i choose this car was due to the fuel efficiency it was delivering.
But my car is not giving the FE as it should give.

My car has done 3000KM and the fuel efficiency i am getting is 12km/lit, the method of observation is full tank to full tank. mostly i drive outside the city.
when i enquired about this to TASS they said the FE will be more only after the third service. OMG i have to drive this car for 30K to get a decent FE.
i asked the same question to TASS and they fumbled to give an answer.

can anyone who owns fiat linea multijet share their FE they got during the 3k kms.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks