Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2009, 22:21   #1
BHPian

Car servicing interval

last time i serviced my car was in February 2009. However I've driven only 2,500 KM after service. Should i do next service now or i can do it after some more time/KM?

BTW i've a baleno and it's 2.5 years old and driven 22K.
Old 11th September 2009, 22:32   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akas_chauhan View Post
last time i serviced my car was in February 2009. However I've driven only 2,500 KM after service. Should i do next service now or i can do it after some more time/KM?

BTW i've a baleno and it's 2.5 years old and driven 22K.
Hi I would suggest you to follow the strict time based service interval. See certain things in your car need to be changed with respect to time too not just based on number of kilometers for eg Brake oil, it absorbs moisture and may add to corrosion and so on. So that is why you should do some preventive maintenance.
Follow your manual and try to stick to it as much as possible.
Old 11th September 2009, 22:33   #3
BHPian

Ideally, servicing should be done every six months irrespective of the kilometers clocked. Atleast, this is what I follow.
Old 12th September 2009, 00:40   #4
Senior - BHPian

Our Esteem is serviced once a year, irrespective of the km (which is on the lower side). I take care to attend everything as per the given schedule. Whats the point in doing it every 6 months, unless your usage is high??
Old 12th September 2009, 12:26   #5
gpa
Senior - BHPian

6 months/5,000 kms service intervals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Whats the point in doing it every 6 months, unless your usage is high??
Quote:
Whats the point in doing it every 6 months, unless your usage is high??
Raccoon,

You are right. Unless you clock a lot of miles, it makes sense to get your car service atleast once a year. As for me, I used to follow the 10,000 kms service interval up until the 20,000 kms mark on my Alto

I am now going to switch to 5,000 kms or 6 month services as my running is high and I noticed a clear deterioration in performance over the past 1,000 kms in my Alto which I use extensively.

Hence forth I plan to stick to 5,000 kms oil changes and services which means a visit to MASS every 4 months.

Regards,
gpa
Old 12th September 2009, 17:54   #6
BHPian

Thanks guys for your suggetion.
I just checked service manual and it says 1 year or 10K whichever is earlier.
So i'll do the service according to the manual.
Old 12th September 2009, 20:49   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
Raccoon,

You are right. Unless you clock a lot of miles, it makes sense to get your car service atleast once a year. As for me, I used to follow the 10,000 kms service interval up until the 20,000 kms mark on my Alto

I am now going to switch to 5,000 kms or 6 month services as my running is high and I noticed a clear deterioration in performance over the past 1,000 kms in my Alto which I use extensively.

Hence forth I plan to stick to 5,000 kms oil changes and services which means a visit to MASS every 4 months.

Regards,
gpa
If I were you, I'd just get the air filter cleaned (if required)... see if that is the cause for deterioration in performance. The less they get to mess with your car the better... more than really necessary "servicing" is both a waste of money and a risk.
Old 12th September 2009, 21:33   #8
BHPian

As Raccoon rightly said, if your usage is high, get it serviced periodically that includes oil/filter change, brake adjusting, washing, coolant/brake fluid level checking,tyre balancing etc., If you use the car occasionally just change the engine oil/filter in every 8-12 months. All depends upon your type of driving,maintenance, and usage.
Regards
Old 12th September 2009, 21:46   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akas_chauhan View Post
I just checked service manual and it says 1 year or 10K whichever is earlier.
So i'll do the service according to the manual.
1.For your kind of usage,an oil change once in 8000 kms is fine(that is approx once every 1.5 years).
2.Brake fluid MUST BE CHANGED every 2 years even if you've covered only 1km.Please don't ignore this.
3.Air filter can be cleaned every 5000 kms - this is dead easy
4.Plugs to be cleaned every 10000 kms(you can clean it everytime you change oil viz.8000 kms)
5.Throttle body to be cleaned every 15000 kms(in your case,every alternate oil change)
6.Gear oil repalcement every 20000 kms
7.Water was after every monsoon is over
Old 13th September 2009, 01:06   #10
BHPian

I fully agree with Raccoon. No point going for a time based service if the usage is less.

Vigsom has also highlighted important points which should be kept in mind.
Old 14th September 2009, 10:52   #11
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderNomad View Post
No point going for a time based service if the usage is less.
As Akas posted eventually, his car needs to be serviced at 10K / 1 year, whichever is earlier. I do agree that low usage cars can do with an annual service station visit.

However, note that if your car is in warranty, it is important to stick to the time based service to maintain coverage.
Old 14th September 2009, 10:55   #12
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The less they get to mess with your car the better... more than really necessary "servicing" is both a waste of money and a risk.
Raccoon,

In my case a mere cleaning of the air filter will not do. I use a blower and clean it every month as I drive in very dusty conditions at times.

I understand when you say that the lesser the meddle with the car, the better especially since the MASS that I was at on Saturday broke the plastic adjuser of my internally adjustable ORVM

However, an interim service at 5,000 kms in my case will include change of oil/oil filter, cleaning of the brake pads and shoes and tightening of all the suspension, engine and gearbox mounting bolts. You'll be amazed at how taut the car feels post this.

IMO, an interim service like this, should not take more than 3 hours to complete and is well worth it.

Regards,
gpa

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks