Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2009, 15:22   #1

Need some help for Mitsubishi Lancer ECM issue

Hello Friends,
I need some help from Mitsubishi Lancer owners specially.I own a Lancer SFXi(2000 yr) .Recently I took it to Metro Motors for checkup since, d headlights goes off all of a sudden while driving ,getting a low average in city around 6-7 in city (with A/c on) and some signal bulbs fuse off.After checking the car for 2 days Metro guys called up saying the car's ECM(Electrical Control Module) seems to be faulty and needs replacement.At a same time they 've also asked me to replace the Stepper Motor.

Are Metro guys really reliable??Cause when i got my car back after checkup I noticed following issues -
1.I found some scratches on the interiors near the gearbox.
2.My engine RPM was tampered and now if I turn-off the A/c engine's idle RPM shoots above 2000, which is absolutely not normal.
3.I'd asked them to fix the petrol lid ,as it was not opening from inside.They replaced the clip n now the lid is not aligned with the rest of the body.ie the lid feels extruded from the rest of the body!

Do you know any good Lancer expert with ECM knowledge in Mumbai?Or its advisable to get the job done from Mitsubishi Service station (ie.Metro Motors) only?

Would like to get some feeback pls !
Thanks in advance,
Raj
Old 13th September 2009, 01:15   #2
Senior - BHPian

Headlight is controlled by ECM?? thats new.

If your car was running fine, no issue in ECM then. Low mileage can be solved by other things, ecm is the last thing that i would check
Old 13th September 2009, 09:41   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raj_d View Post
Hello Friends,
I need some help from Mitsubishi Lancer owners specially.I own a Lancer SFXi(2000 yr) .Recently I took it to Metro Motors for checkup since, d headlights goes off all of a sudden while driving ,getting a low average in city around 6-7 in city (with A/c on) and some signal bulbs fuse off. After checking the car for 2 days Metro guys called up saying the car's ECM(Electrical Control Module) seems to be faulty and needs replacement.At a same time they 've also asked me to replace the Stepper Motor.

Are Metro guys really reliable??Cause when i got my car back after checkup I noticed following issues -
1.I found some scratches on the interiors near the gearbox.That must be the gear lever not the gear box.Probablty these scratches were there earlier and were not noticed.
2.My engine RPM was tampered and now if I turn-off the A/c engine's idle RPM shoots above 2000, which is absolutely not normal.This is not normal
3.I'd asked them to fix the petrol lid ,as it was not opening from inside.They replaced the clip n now the lid is not aligned with the rest of the body.ie the lid feels extruded from the rest of the body!Don't worry about this.The lid has been set to "unleash" at the slightest touch of the lever

Raj
I am sorry I know none in MUmbai.

you can get the throttle body cleaned(keep the battery disconencted) and then check if things are better.

Before that please give us the following info.

1.What is the engine rpm when you start the vehicle cold(without a/c)?
2.What is the engine rpm when your engine reaches operating temperature(temp. gauge at approx 45% of range)?
3.What is the engine rpm at normal engine temperature when you flick the a/c switch on?
Old 14th September 2009, 10:47   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Hi Raj,

If you want a good independent, I can't think of anyone better than Sunil Shanbagh for your Lancer. Drop him a line on 2414.9910 / 2411.4447 to schedule an appointment.
Old 14th September 2009, 15:01   #5

Hi vigsom,

The engine rpm while starting the vehicle (w/o A/c) is less than 1000 .
The engine rpm when the engine reaches operating temperature(temp. gauge at approx 45% of range) is about 1200 with A/c on(but sometimes shoots to 2000 all of a sudden ,so to get it back to normal I need to press the gas pedal by a bit ,n it returns to normal .

But the problem arises when I drive my car for few mins. and then if I turn-off the a/c before turning off the engine the rpm shoots to 2000.. n thats my main concern.This problem was not there before giving my car to Metro Service Center.

Yesterday I showed my car to a Mechanic (who even has a knowledge of ECM's n gets it repaired too ) suggested by a friend of mine.He says the ECM seems to be fine but the car has been mis-tuned.He also mentioned that if there is any issue in the ECM we can repair it.So hopefully everything will be fine .

Thanks n I'll keep you all updated!

Thanks everyone!
Old 16th September 2009, 02:44   #6
Senior - BHPian

Check the IACV (Idle Air Control Valve) & the vaccuum actuator. Most of the symptoms you mentioned lead to the same conclusion. Especially when you say that the car returns to normal idling speed after you pump the throttle.

Ask the mechanic to re-caliberate the O2 sensor as well, after checking the IACV. That should fix the fuel efficiency issue. I'm assuming that nobody's tampered with the ignition timing; however, do check it with a timing light just to be sure.
Old 16th September 2009, 13:45   #7
BHPian

optimum idle rpms for lancer
cold start about 1400 rpm
warmed up car at idle 800 rpm
idle rpm with ac/ 850 or 900 rpm.

take my word if it is anything but this.. you car is definitely out of tune.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks