Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2010, 15:04   #46
BHPian

Hey pals,
I got my car rear suspension fixed. got new struts fitted (original monroe gas shocks purchased from the distributor) and fitted half inch spacers at the rear. Now the gc issue also seems to be resolved and the suspension is much firmer.
the costs were as follows: rear suspension - Rs. 2300 (Mrp for each for 1362)
suspension kit was around Rs. 750 for a pair
labour was about Rs. 400
spacers cost Rs. 200
Thanks a tonne to everyone especially Jaggu for the support and the ideas!
Cheers,
Harsha
Old 4th January 2010, 15:32   #47
KMT
BHPian

About 12 months back I fitted suspension spacers on a 2001 Accent. It was relatively easy job at the rear but I fitted them in front too as that was the part that was regularly getting hit under braking when the front suspension was fully compressed before hitting the surprise speedbreakers.

Whilst the bottoming problem is solved it has killed two front tyres in 6000kms due to incorrect camber and the driveshaft occasionally rubs the lower suspension arm on rebound.

I have now had the camber adjusted and have to keep a close watch on the tyres. In a potholed place like Coorg, I believe the spacers are worth the hassle.

One of the other suggestions made to me was to fit struts from a Diesel Accent that is more stiffly sprund to compensate for the extra weight. Maybe I will try that next.
Old 4th January 2010, 17:52   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMT View Post
Whilst the bottoming problem is solved it has killed two front tyres in 6000kms due to incorrect camber and the driveshaft occasionally rubs the lower suspension arm on rebound.
Thanks KMT,
I have precious Michelin XM1+ tyres on my car.
Gurus, will adding the rear spacers cause any harm to my tyres - either at the front or rear?
I really hope not. At least camber settings should not be affected as the spacers are not on the front wheels. In addition, the spacers have only restored the car to its original height (which had been lowered due to weak springs) and has not really added new height to the car. Further, while spacers are usually of 1 inch, I took it to the lathe and got both equally trimmed to half inchers. Any thoughts?
I will know the real performance of the new shocks and spacers when i carry 5 people to the bangalore airport 50 kms each way tomorrow.
Cheers,
Harsha
Old 4th January 2010, 18:19   #49
BHPian

One more option, AirLift PU airbags inside spring

Actually this is the tread that inspired me to share my experience with similar issues and resolution. Please check the recent thread regarding ride height in the modification section for the detail.
Old 6th January 2010, 12:16   #50
Senior - BHPian

Hi harsha, good to know that you have completed your spacer job! Hope you are enjoying relatively scrape free rides now.

Could you please provide me the contact details of the Monroe distributor in Bangalore. I am looking at replacing my stock shocks with stiffer monroe shocks (if there is such a thing for Scorpios).

Thanks in advance, mohit oza
Old 16th January 2010, 17:09   #51
BHPian

Honda Accord : How to increase GC

Dear Beothers
I have Honda Accord 2006
Ground clearence is too low,
is it possible to adjust GC?
i have recently replaced stock size tyres (Michelin 205/65/15)
Please Help me
Thanks in Advance

Last edited by Jaggu : 16th January 2010 at 18:10. Reason: Please use Search before opening a new thread. Thanks
Old 18th January 2010, 11:07   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooza View Post
Hi harsha, good to know that you have completed your spacer job! Hope you are enjoying relatively scrape free rides now.

Could you please provide me the contact details of the Monroe distributor in Bangalore. I am looking at replacing my stock shocks with stiffer monroe shocks (if there is such a thing for Scorpios).

Thanks in advance, mohit oza
Have PM'ed you the details.
cheeers,
Harsha
Old 17th March 2010, 20:41   #53
BHPian

Any updates harsha for these 2 months?
Old 22nd March 2010, 16:42   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by (Alok) View Post
Any updates harsha for these 2 months?
Hi Alok,
I have got a thorough suspension job done. on the rear, i went in for aluminium spacers of half an inch. it's doing its job and touch wood, i have not had any scrapes and the handling is good as well. the rear springs are weak and would have done better with replacements, but the spacers are holding the car up and i am happy with the existing springs itself. all in all, no compromise in handling (at least not perceptible) and the height is good enough.
As for the front, i got the struts, lower arm and tie rod ends changed. the car is doing well and is hassle free (touch wood). interestingly, my mech said that the oe front strut kit is v good and doesnt need replacement even after these ten years (gurus please comment). hence i have retained the same and thankfully, so far so good.

If you have any specific queries, please add on to this.
cheers,
harsha
Old 5th April 2011, 12:07   #55

Re: Suspension Spacers or Tyres with higher profile? Which is better?-Speed breaker i

Hi Harsha

I am looking out for upgrading my shocker absorbers in my accent to Monroe Gas filled,where in bangalore is the Distributor located,kindly provide me the address and helpme out ,Thanks in advance

Cheers
Sanjeev
Old 1st January 2012, 22:32   #56

Re: Suspension Spacers or Tyres with higher profile? Which is better?-Speed breaker i

Quote:
Originally Posted by harsha.cs1 View Post
Hi Alok,
I have got a thorough suspension job done. on the rear, i went in for aluminium spacers of half an inch. it's doing its job and touch wood, i have not had any scrapes and the handling is good as well. the rear springs are weak and would have done better with replacements, but the spacers are holding the car up and i am happy with the existing springs itself. all in all, no compromise in handling (at least not perceptible) and the height is good enough.
As for the front, i got the struts, lower arm and tie rod ends changed. the car is doing well and is hassle free (touch wood). interestingly, my mech said that the oe front strut kit is v good and doesnt need replacement even after these ten years (gurus please comment). hence i have retained the same and thankfully, so far so good.

If you have any specific queries, please add on to this.
cheers,
harsha
Hi Harsha, need Aluminium spacers for my Honda Civic, because its taking a beating every time it gets loaded, and now that I'm getting body kits, I can only pray! Please PM me the contact details of the guy from whom you got your Aluminium spacers. Also where is he located, Bangalore? And how long does it take to install the spacers alone? Thanks a ton, in advance!

Old 27th November 2012, 12:00   #57
BHPian

Hi Guys, i have an issue at hand here, need some urgent help.

This is my friends optra and he does not have an account here therefore posting on his behalf.

Details:
>Optra magnum diesel
>Year 2011
>Odo reading 30,000 km
>Just changed the apollos tyres to yokos went in for 205 60 R15 ES100 from the earlier 195 60 R15
>The car has after market alloys.

Issue
We went for a trip last weekend, and the right side rear wheel is rubbing its side wall against the exterior portion of the wheel well. The left it does but occasionally the right is more frequent. This happens when the car bounces.
People on board 4, average weight 100kg. Even after moving out the heavier person from there. The right side was the one that was most effected.

Need economical suggestions, at the moment cant replace tyres or alloys.
No idea about the offset of the alloys or the width. Please provide suggestions.

Options after researching:
>Spacers for the rear suspension - if solution please provide contact details of the place where i can get a puckka job done in BLR
>Replacing bushes and related components of the Shocks - If solution will get it done at Chevy service or any other suggestions are welcome
>Gas shock - Monroe or any other brand that would help the cause. Pls dont suggest costly options. If dealer distributor info available will be real nice.

Looking forward to your responses.

Thanks
Hemanth

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks