Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2009, 12:23   #1

Original Clutch Vs Exedy

I recently changed the clutch Plate for my Honda City 2001 Vtech. I had a tough time sourcing the orginal parts in Chennai. Sundram Motors (Chennai) Quoted me 30k for the job I got it done for 12k. I changed the Gearbox oil to Castrol (Oil thickness 90), Changed radiator coolant and hose pipe, replaced front and back Engine beds, Phased the Fly wheel, Painted the brake calibers. All this costed under 12k including labour charges. Car feels reborn. Below are the Pics of Orginal clutch plate replaced with Excedy.

Exedy Clutch Plate and cover assembly along with NSK release bearing and SKF Flywheel Bearing costed Rs.5600. Exedy is Heavy Duty clutch, I feel the clutch is as same as the original. Notice the Spring on the plate of Exedy to that of the Original in the pics.

Original Clutch Vs Exedy-clutch-plate.jpg

Original Clutch Vs Exedy-clutch-plate-2.jpg

Original Clutch Vs Exedy-cover-asembly.jpg

Original Clutch Vs Exedy-dsc00028.jpg

Original Clutch Vs Exedy-dsc00032.jpg

Original Clutch Vs Exedy-dsc00034.jpg
above the limit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st September 2009, 14:56   #2
Senior - BHPian

oe price is just not worth it. after market is the best for OHC. good upgrade.
Old 21st September 2009, 15:01   #3
Senior - BHPian

ATL - could u also share details of where you purchased this from and who did the work ?
Old 21st September 2009, 15:25   #4
Senior - BHPian

How many kilometers did your OE clutch last?
Old 21st September 2009, 18:00   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I recently changed the clutch Plate for my Honda City 2001 Vtech. I had a tough time sourcing the orginal parts in Chennai. Sundram Motors (Chennai) Quoted me 30k for the job I got it done for 12k.
Dude, what are you saying. When i had enquired with Honda some 2 months ago, they gave me an estimate of 6,800 for a complete clutch replacement.

Shan2nu

Last edited by Rehaan : 23rd September 2009 at 15:05. Reason: r = are
Old 22nd September 2009, 11:10   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
ATL - could u also share details of where you purchased this from and who did the work ?
I had Purchased the part from Benz Automobiles in GP road. The guy has fakes too, i took my Mechanic along who knew the owner very well and got the parts. There were instances where i had to return 2nd quality stuff and demand for original.

The mechanic is based near Gopalapuram Ground. His work is worth every penny. Car is amazing..
Old 22nd September 2009, 11:17   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
How many kilometers did your OE clutch last?
My OE clutch had lasted for 58,000kms. I have done a lot of mods and i always drive on the Higher RPM so it had to replaced this early.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
Dude, what r you saying. When i had enquired with Honda some 2 months ago, they gave me an estimate of 6,800 for a complete clutch replacement.

Shan2nu
Dude, that is just the replacement. Add labour charges, gear box oil, other repairs if any. I have known lot a fraud activities in the company. When they say they have changed u have to belive. There is lot of loop holes dude. I have burnt my finger earlier and seen it happen.

Last edited by above the limit : 22nd September 2009 at 11:32.
Old 22nd September 2009, 12:04   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dude, that is just the replacement. Add labour charges, gear box oil, other repairs if any. I have known lot a fraud activities in the company. When they say they have changed u have to belive. There is lot of loop holes dude. I have burnt my finger earlier and seen it happen.
Nope this was inclusive of labour and taxes. As for the gearbox oil, it doesn't cost much. Try getting a quote from a diff dealer.

Shan2nu
Old 22nd September 2009, 16:48   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
Nope this was inclusive of labour and taxes. As for the gearbox oil, it doesn't cost much. Try getting a quote from a diff dealer.

Shan2nu
Its ok dude. Doesnt make any difference now. I love the clutch feel. Exedy i have used is a heavy duty one and the clutch slippage is much much lesser than the original. U see the thickness and length of the springs on the clutch plate, its much better.
Old 28th December 2012, 17:21   #10
BHPian

Re: Original Clutch Vs Exedy

Reinstating the old thread instead of creating new...

My 2007 Swift Vxi (1.3 G13BB) needs clutch replacement (78k on ODO). After a lot of search on web, it seems I'm better of getting Exedy clutch instead of MGP one.
Some queries I have :
1. Exedy Replacement Clutch OR Exedy Stage 1 Clutch ?(Got to know from web that there are these 2 different types available. Is that true ?)
2. There seems to be a lot of confusion about cost of this work. Please comment on this too.
3. If there's any better option available, I'm open to that.
4. Please suggest any place/garage which is in Pune/Mumbai.

Awaiting your feedback...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks