Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2009, 17:43   #1
BHPian

Want to remove LPG kit from my Ikon ... Advice needed

Hi guys,

I had purchased a used Ford Ikon way back in March 2006 and its still doing duty with us. It came with a Lovata LPG kit. The LPG ran well for a few thousand kms after which it started giving a lot of problems. So, we disconnected the LPG and continued to run the car on petrol.

Now, the LPG kit is happily occupying our bootspace without any usage. I wish to get rid of it. But the kit is registered with the RTO and I am told I cannot get rid of it just like that. I'll need to get a NOC from the RTO, only then the kit can be removed.

What are my options? Please suggest.

Edit: Mods, please move this thread if its not in the appropriate place.
Old 22nd September 2009, 20:09   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Just the fact that you have it endorsed on your RC book doesn't mean you have to be running it. Meaning, you have the RTO's green signal for the LPG kit, but that doesn't necessarily mean it has to be installed at all times. Think of it as a visa : I have a valid visa for xxx country, yet I could cancel my travel plans.

Just go to a competent shop and have it removed. And if are worried about that endorsement, hire an RTO agent to have it removed.
Old 22nd September 2009, 20:34   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlustindia View Post
It came with a Lovata LPG kit.
Pardon my ignorance. Is that LPG kit is OE? If not then you don't have to inform RTO about removing it.
Old 22nd September 2009, 20:39   #4
Senior - BHPian

Are you planning to sell the kit??

If not, then just remove the tank and free up your bootspace.
Old 22nd September 2009, 20:43   #5
Senior - BHPian

Even i am thinking of removing the lpg kit. what is the removal cost and how much are you getting for it. my kit cylinder is due for hst. earlier thought of going for a toroidal but it seems new lpg endorsement is done only if you move the filling port on the car body.i think if you personally get the endorsement removed it will cost you 50. if you give it to agent it will cost 2000.
Old 23rd September 2009, 09:40   #6
BHPian

Yes the 60 lit tank in the boot takes a hell lot of space. I too am planning to remove the 60 lit tank and fit a 30 kit torroidal tank in the spare wheel well.

I don't believe its necessary to get the change in tank endorsed by the RTO.
Any views?
Old 23rd September 2009, 09:57   #7
BHPian

The LPG kit is not OE. Its fitted after-market by the first owner of the vehicle. My only worry is that the endorsement is present on the RC book and if I remove the kit, what happens if I wish to sell the car in the near future? I think I'll confirm this with a LPG kit provider, they might know of similar cases.

I'll see if I can sell the kit to a LPG kit dealer in Pune or Navi Mumbai. Else, it has to be a give-away. BTW, the kit ain't functioning right now.
Old 23rd September 2009, 10:15   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadf00t View Post
Yes the 60 lit tank in the boot takes a hell lot of space. I too am planning to remove the 60 lit tank and fit a 30 kit torroidal tank in the spare wheel well.

I don't believe its necessary to get the change in tank endorsed by the RTO.
Any views?
Go through your RC book and see if tank HST due date is mentioned on it. if its not there you can continue living with it. Rule says 5 years, Its more of personal safety thing than RTO requirement. my book is stamped and if a educated cop sees it it will become a major penalty
Old 23rd September 2009, 10:39   #9
BHPian

Ihave a smart card and it doesn't talk of any tank HST due date. just says fuel PETLPG
I guess I can safely swap it.
Old 23rd September 2009, 11:24   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlustindia View Post
if I remove the kit, what happens if I wish to sell the car in the near future?.
LPG in a petrol car is a good selling point in the used car market. If you dont need it just remove it and keep it with you. When you want to sell your car just install it back, its more or less like having some mods done according to your taste and reverting to stock setup whicle selling your car, just my 2 cents

Pramod
Old 23rd September 2009, 13:59   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
LPG in a petrol car is a good selling point in the used car market.
Pramod
Provided its in good working condition! Unfortunately, its not. Hence, my idea of getting rid of it for good. I don't mind not getting a single penny, although the gas tank might fetch some price .
Old 23rd September 2009, 14:10   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Pardon my ignorance. Is that LPG kit is OE? If not then you don't have to inform RTO about removing it.
Ignorance being pardoned aside, he is talking about an used Ikon.

@ wanderlust, go ahead remove it. Put up the tank on classifieds, it should sell pretty fast. The new buyer will know that you have already experimented with LPG & given it up.

Last edited by esteem_lover : 23rd September 2009 at 14:12.
Old 23rd September 2009, 19:59   #13
Senior - BHPian

i decided to replace my car lpg tank and get smart card this time. when i asked how much if i get it removed then he will give me 2k for kit and charge me 2.5k to get the RC book cleared of lpg.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks