Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2009, 12:45   #1
BHPian

Lancer Invex - Special care for high speed drives

Hi All,

This is the first thread I am starting to seek advice from fellow BHPians. As mentioned earlier in my introduction, i have been following TBhp for over 3 years for anything and everything related to cars. Even choice of my car was made after going through the numerous threads on TBhp.

I own a Lancer 1.8 INVEX for over a year now. This is my 3rd car previous 2 include a 1999 Lancer GLXi and a H. Accent which i used for very short time. I got a used Lancer Invex June last year. I am really happy with the driving experience with confortable driving positions, specious (although dull) interior and those 120 horses under the hood. The tip-tronic option is really useful, especially it helps in downshifting the gears while braking at very high speeds.

As most of you might know, the 1.8 INVEX is a little sluggish in the lower engine revs and I press the peddle hard to quickly reach the higher revs where the power is really satisfying. 0 to 40 feels sluggish but 60 to 100 comes in a blink. I have been adviced by many people that reving hard will affect my engine life, but when i need to achive good pick-up i need to rev hard.

So i need advice from all the gurus to know if i need to take any special care, any specific modifications for my car due to my driving style. Also recently i have noticed some vibrations while standstill in 'D' mode with AC on.

Please advise.

Mods, I have gone through many threds but still looking for answers, so please move,merge thread appropriately if required, also if any of the threads exists for similar query, kindly redirect me to the thread.

Cheers, Mandar
Old 25th September 2009, 13:02   #2
BHPian

I have used a lancer for 2 years.Lancer engine is quite rugged.Just make sure that when you rev not to go past the red-line.But i do not know the tolerances of the automatic transmission.Something more specific about automatics is that you should never use your left leg.There is a general tendency to brake with your left leg which can damage the transmission if accelerator is also used simultaneously.I dont think there is anything to worry in the engine department.But regarding the auto tranny please take expert opinion.
Old 25th September 2009, 14:07   #3
BHPian

Thanks freewheel, havent faced much of the issue with tranny till now, it downshifts quickly when i rev hard and no redline is reached since it shifts up automatically when revs approach redline.

Just want to know if any special care needs to be taken for engine and brakes. I am currently using 5W40 Shell Helix Synthetic engine oil and recently replaced my brake discs since they were out faster in auto tranny cars.

Also can anyone help me to know if theres any other way to get more power in lower revs from the INVEX engine? (Offcourse other than manual shifting in tip-tronic mode)
Old 25th September 2009, 14:59   #4
Senior - BHPian

I drive a 2000 lancer too, and i understand that the lows are really sluggish, has it been like this ever or is it like this now?, Have you TDed a new invex? does that also feel like this? These questions are to understand is there a probem now or does the gear ratios come like this in a automatic lancer. If it came this way then i would suggest to get the headers designed with a better low end as it already has a great high and mid as per your explination. as far as the vibrations are concerned during starting to move i suggest get the engine mounts checked, mine though a manual has the same problem i first suspected it could be the clutch but later the service advisor confirmed that to be the mount. Currently my car is in the paint booth so haven't replaced the mount will let you knwo once its done. But lovely piece of machine you got. A lancer any day brings a smile on your face.

Pramod
Old 25th September 2009, 15:18   #5
BHPian

+1 to that.Check your engine mounts!
Old 25th September 2009, 15:48   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
Have you TDed a new invex? does that also feel like this? These questions are to understand is there a probem now or does the gear ratios come like this in a automatic lancer.
Lancer Invex (1.8 Automatic with tip-tronic option) is currently out of production and not many are available in market as well, so had never driven any of it other than mine. But from what i for to know from various reviews i have read online, everyone agrees that it is slggish in lower revs.

Did not think of it as an issue earlier but when i got addicted to the accelaration in mid and high revs, the low end feels lot more sluggish

And yes, I will get my engine mounts checked soon....

Thanks for the responses Pramod and freewheel....
Old 26th September 2009, 10:32   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

We've had some times in a Lancer 1.8 Invex . If only the car was launched a little earlier, priced a little better and handled by someone more competent than li'l ol HM. Great sedan for those wanting an automatic. Hope you got a good deal on her!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evolution_VIII View Post
I have been adviced by many people that reving hard will affect my engine life, but when i need to achive good pick-up i need to rev hard.
As long as you get the oil changes & other maintenance done on time, don't worry about it. The Invex has a very revv-happy engine & Japs last much longer than you'd ever use them for. Enjoy!

Quote:
Also recently i have noticed some vibrations while standstill in 'D' mode with AC on.
Standstill in D mode with the brake pedal pressed? Why would you do that? Basically, being in D mode, the car will want to move forward and on the other hand, the brakes are stopping it from doing so. P / N are best when stationary.

Only if this problem wasn't there before, check your idling rpms and then the engine mounts.
Old 29th September 2009, 10:48   #8
BHPian

Thanks GTO.

Yes, got a good deal, especially considering the driving experience, interior space, tip-tronic option and those 120 horses. If I had to get these 3 things in any other used sedan, I would have definitely ended up spending almost double of what i paid for my Lancer.

The HM+Mitsu reputation and bad publicity was actually a very important factor, because of all these I could get a good deal

There are those niggling issues with electronics and availability of parts, but with right information and right contacts those can be managed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Standstill in D mode with the brake pedal pressed?
I switch to 'N' when standstill, noticed those vibrations when i just switch from N to D i.e. just setting into motion from standstill, once in motion there are no vibrations.

I will check my idling rpms as well.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks