Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2014, 08:21   #31
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumar R View Post
That's why I started paying a lot of attention to the rpm (esp. after reading on TeamBHP that 2.5k was a good point to change)
Use the RPM but don't dewy dependant on it as others have pointed out. Try upshifting between 2500 - 3000 RPM and downshift once near 1500 RPM.

Listen to the engine as it speaks a lot of driving irrespective of following the RPM dial.

For petrol engine 3000 RPM upshot won't hurt and for diesel engine 2000 RPM. Keep this is mind for future.

No redlining the way you do in computer games. You'll have a fried engine, empty fuel tank and no passengers.

Anurag.
Old 19th May 2014, 16:56   #32
BHPian

Re: Perfect gear changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
Shifting up at speedo intervals will never paint as clear a picture as shifting up at tacho intervals. But please take care not to shift down at high tacho speeds, or you may have an over-rev and cause major damage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135 View Post
Basically try to find an RPM for each gear, such that *after* shifting to higher gear, RPM does not drop to the level of knocking/stalling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkenMonk View Post
To drive correctly and using the Tachometer,......Of-course, we don't bother about DOING all this,so we simply TALK about it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sreenivass View Post
I do it this way. Generally I am not worried about RPM. If I feel theres loss of pickup I shift down, revv it and go up. I do it differently between highway and city. In city its more like shift up as soon as you can (based on the feel of pull & engine wroom).
It varies with the load too, you shift up late if the vehicle is loaded for pickup and pull.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane_Power View Post
Just because they have provided the tachometer, that doesn't mean that for every up-shift or downshift you have to be a stickler for the perfect RPM count. One has to improvise alot.
And slowly a time will come when you won't even look at it and you will be driving even without looking at it.
Interesting thread with varying points of view. Since I am based at Delhi where traffic conditions are always insane, I wonder how many (if any) manage to even steal a glance at the tacho during their daily commute. Also, I'm not too sure a majority of the average drivers (including myself) have the knowledge to properly make use of the tacho. The procedure followed mostly is to upshift/downshift in time to avoid engine from straining/stalling. Also, tachos are a relatively recent phenomenon in Indian autos. So the question is-do tachos serve a useful purpose for the average driver or are they mostly meant for enthusiasts? Am I missing out on something important?
Old 27th May 2014, 10:17   #33
Senior - BHPian

Re: Perfect gear changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakkum13 View Post
Interesting thread with varying points of view. Since I am based at Delhi where traffic conditions are always insane, I wonder how many (if any) manage to even steal a glance at the tacho during their daily commute. Also, I'm not too sure a majority of the average drivers (including myself) have the knowledge to properly make use of the tacho. The procedure followed mostly is to upshift/downshift in time to avoid engine from straining/stalling. Also, tachos are a relatively recent phenomenon in Indian autos. So the question is-do tachos serve a useful purpose for the average driver or are they mostly meant for enthusiasts? Am I missing out on something important?
An average driver (and most enthusiasts also) doesn't look at the Tacho, but shifts based on the engine sound/feel, which he/she is used to. Tacho comes into picture before getting to this 'used to' part. If you consciously choose to experiment with the tacho and start making shifts at appropriate RPMs first few times, you automatically develop the habit of shifting at those RPM. After that, you don't have to keep looking at tacho to shift, you would almost always do it at the right RPMs.

It's like any habit. You do it consciously and consistently few times and then it comes naturally.
RX135 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2014, 10:41   #34
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakkum13 View Post
So the question is-do tachos serve a useful purpose for the average driver or are they mostly meant for enthusiasts? Am I missing out on something important?
Any driver should be used to upshifting and downshifting using the engine sound more than an electronic equipment. I'm not saying usage of tacho is but I'd say the tacho can be used to further refine the driving style and to be more efficient with some mechanical empathy towards the car.

The tacho can be used as reference and not as a dependence factor would make drivers weak when they drive non-tacho equipped cars.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks