Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2009, 11:59   #1
BHPian

Vibrations upon engine startup - Please Help

Hello,
I own a Palio 1.6 Sports. Recently had taken it for Long drive, drove the car for about 1000 kms in 3 days. Recently i have been observing strange vibrations, after i start the car the whole body shakes a lot, it calms down a little after a few seconds but the vibrations are still there. This never used to happen before but recently after the mentioned drive.
The car used to effortlessly pull away from the 3 rd gear but now vibrates and i have to down shift more often. Any body has any inputs? Please help. Is something seriously wrong with the car?
Old 6th October 2009, 16:08   #2
Senior - BHPian

Check your car's engine mountings.
Other possibilites include Clutch gone /Improper timing etc
Old 6th October 2009, 16:56   #3
BHPian

My friend expreienced this in his palio and the root cause was found to be worn out engine moutings. After replacing with new mountings the vibrations disappeard.
Old 6th October 2009, 17:06   #4
Senior - BHPian

Bond, is your "injector" lights on? can be because of issue related to "injectors" or "ignition coil" get it checked by a good "fiat mech".
Old 7th October 2009, 08:24   #5
BHPian

Thanks for the input guys. Could this be because of fuel? I had to fill her up with whatever was available in a unknown petrol bunk somewhere in Shimoga, no Premium Fuel was available. I later filled her up with HP Super Petrol when i came back to Bangalore. There was a bit of difference, but could not check this in detail since i had to catch up with some work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElantraGT View Post
My friend expreienced this in his palio and the root cause was found to be worn out engine moutings. After replacing with new mountings the vibrations disappeard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
Check your car's engine mountings.
Other possibilites include Clutch gone /Improper timing etc
But the Palio is just 1 year old, have around 8K on the odo. Can the Engine Mountings wear out so soon? The Clutch seems fine, Had got it checked before leaving for a "Long" drive. Also, the car was serviced about 1-1.5 months back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Bond, is your "injector" lights on? can be because of issue related to "injectors" or "ignition coil" get it checked by a good "fiat mech".
Lohith, the Injector lights is switches on before i start the engine, i start the engine only after it switches off. ( I am talking about the one which is present in the left hand corner of the odo). I guess this is normal and i think this how it works on most of the cars. Are you referring to something else?

Also, Any pointers to a "Good Fiat Mechanic" in Bangalore? Preferably near Mysore Road/Vijayanagar?
Old 7th October 2009, 10:50   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bond_bhai View Post

Also, Any pointers to a "Good Fiat Mechanic" in Bangalore? Preferably near Mysore Road/Vijayanagar?
Try out concorde motors Mysore Road
Old 7th October 2009, 11:00   #7
Senior - BHPian

it could be because of adulterated Fuel. Stick to a particular petrol pump while filling up.

let the low fuel indicator come on and then fill up from the regular pump.
Old 7th October 2009, 11:15   #8
Senior - BHPian

Yeah bad fuel also might be a cause. Empty you tank fully and then fill with unadultrated petrol(COCO bunks, Shell outlet) and then check out.
Old 7th October 2009, 12:19   #9
BANNED

First thing take it to authorised service and tell them the problems and ask them to rectify it. Don't try to tell them what might have happened, that is their job and they should know it.
Old 9th October 2009, 20:52   #10

My 47k run 1.2 sports had same issue and Fiat service center told me it is due to weak coil and coil would run for another 5-7k kms.
So I am living with it for now.
Old 14th October 2009, 10:14   #11
BHPian

as per your reply, it look like its the adulterated fuel which was causing that problem.But, I would highly suggest you to keep a good eye on this problem as it is not expected for the car which is just 1 year old and 8K on the odo. May be you would like to have thorough check on engine mountings and clutch(since u had driven for 1K in 3 days) from A.S.S
Old 20th October 2009, 13:23   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemantbsutar View Post
as per your reply, it look like its the adulterated fuel which was causing that problem.But, I would highly suggest you to keep a good eye on this problem as it is not expected for the car which is just 1 year old and 8K on the odo. May be you would like to have thorough check on engine mountings and clutch(since u had driven for 1K in 3 days) from A.S.S
Thanks hemantbsutar. Your words are actually scary. I am going to the Prerana Motors TATA/Fiat *** this weekend. Will ask to check the vibrations. Anything specific i need to ask for?

Also, i filled her up with HP Super Petrol. The vibrations are still there, it disappears when i drive for sometime. Idling for 1-2 mins immediately after the car starts does not help either. Will get it checked it ASAP. Keeping my fingers crossed :(

Last edited by bond_bhai : 20th October 2009 at 13:24. Reason: Spell check
Old 25th October 2009, 11:31   #13
BHPian

Update:
I had been to Prerana Motors, Bangalore this weekend. They did some checks and said there was an "Intermediate" Error code which was causing a conflict between the ECU and the Sensor! He asked me to monitor and let him know if the issue reappears.

The car however does not vibrate after it is driven for about 15-20kms. So by the time i reached the Service center the car is/was smooth. I am not convinced by the Service Rep's reply. I was not able to argue either being a Tech Handicap :(

Any suggestions what i should do next? I was thinking of taking her to Green Tracks, Hosur Road after a week or two.
Old 27th October 2009, 18:45   #14

Does the car jerk and shudder when you put your foot down on the gas? Does it accelerate unevenly? If so, I think you may have fouled one or more spark plugs. Try replacing your spark plugs. It could even be your ignition leads, distributor cap, or rotor arm.
Old 14th November 2009, 19:19   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo6n View Post
Does the car jerk and shudder when you put your foot down on the gas? Does it accelerate unevenly? If so, I think you may have fouled one or more spark plugs. Try replacing your spark plugs. It could even be your ignition leads, distributor cap, or rotor arm.
@Polo6n, Yes, the Car does jerk/shudder when i hit the gas. Only when i change gears though, not after that. I will check the Spark Plugs again.

Anyway, here's another Update:

I had been to Green Tracks, Madivala, Bangalore. The service noticed "pronounced" vibrations and jerkings. He said he would clean the spark plugs and check the other comopnents as well.
After the service, he said
1. There were no Error codes.
2. No problem with the Ignition Coil. He replaced with a supposedly "absolutely fine" Coil but the vibrations remained.
3. He needs to do a thorough check of the Engine, Something about Checking Engine "tamming" (No Idea what it is!). Mountings. Basically, a step by step process until they can zero in on the error.
4. This would take more than 2 days.
Any suggestions? Is it safe to leave the car for more than 2 days without any supervision in Green Tracks Service Center? Are they Good/Trustable?

Most Viewed