Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2009, 17:27   #1
BHPian

Strange Noise From Innova Tyres (Kttrrrk)

Over the last month plus, the stock tyres of my innova (especially the rear right) one occasionally makes a kttrrrk (no better way to describe it ) kind of noise. There was no pattern or predictability of the noise.

(For those who have driven in the US, it is the kind of noise one gets when you stray onto the shoulder of a freeway.)

Yesterday while on the Mumbai-Pune-Bangalore highway, the sound repeated with more frequency. This time also from the front left. But again there is no pattern and then it did not reoccur.

I need to get my tyres replaced anyway (tread is starting to run low) but am baffled by the sound.

Any inputs are appreciated.
Old 4th October 2009, 18:28   #2

Strange Noise From Innova Tyres (Kttrrrk)

Check if the noise is coming only on a particular stretch of a Road. I have noticed this on couple of streches when this happens and this is due to the nature of the road
Old 4th October 2009, 19:24   #3
Senior - BHPian

Maybe something somewhere is hanging loose (inside the wheel fender / bumper) and hitting the rims/tires. Maybe the mudflaps?
Old 5th October 2009, 14:57   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

You need to check the tyres for damage first. Your post seems to indicate that they are well worn.

If the tyres are okay, something seems to be rubbing against the tyre. A loose mudflap or the (inside) fender cover perhaps?
Old 5th October 2009, 15:25   #5
Senior - BHPian

I had a problem of this sort when I upgraded tires in i10. While backing up and the steering fully turned, the grooves in front tires caught edge of the front mudflap and gave a 'kat-kat-kat' sound.Though it was a 2-3 mm overlap, I removed the front mudflaps. The sound is now gone. Anyone has any idea of recessed mudflaps or something like that? My mudflaps came factory fitted.
Old 5th October 2009, 17:07   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
You need to check the tyres for damage first. Your post seems to indicate that they are well worn.

If the tyres are okay, something seems to be rubbing against the tyre. A loose mudflap or the (inside) fender cover perhaps?
I think the loose mudflap theory is a good one to investigate. Seems to make sense. Tyres are also due for replacement soon but they are not in terrible shape. (Yoko C drives are being eyed )

On a related topic I remember reading somewhere (cant remember where) that in some tires once the tread passes a particular limit there is a warning sign/signal to alert the user. That was another theory in my mind but google did not throw up anything.
Old 5th October 2009, 17:41   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
I had a problem of this sort when I upgraded tires in i10. While backing up and the steering fully turned, the grooves in front tires caught edge of the front mudflap and gave a 'kat-kat-kat' sound.Though it was a 2-3 mm overlap, I removed the front mudflaps. The sound is now gone. Anyone has any idea of recessed mudflaps or something like that? My mudflaps came factory fitted.
Try peeling off some portion of your mudflap and see if it solves your problem

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks