Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2009, 16:46   #1
BHPian

Strange braking (juddering) sound

I own a Swift LDI bought in 2008. The problem, which I have been only recently noticing, is that if I break hard then i hear a very bad juddering sound as if some metal part are hitting against the road or something... The car vibrates at this time and there is loud noise with the feeling that some car part is creating friction somewhere. This does not seem normal. Any hints?

This is embarrassing when I have some guests sitting with me and am showing off my Swift
Old 5th October 2009, 17:27   #2
Senior - BHPian

Long back, while traveling on a just tarred road, a small metal piece stuck to the brake pad with tar which created similar sound while braking. May be anything such?
Old 5th October 2009, 18:12   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Long back, while traveling on a just tarred road, a small metal piece stuck to the brake pad with tar which created similar sound while braking. May be anything such?
But, if something had stuck to the break disks, then I assume the noise would have come whenever i used the breaks. In my case, the noise comes only when i break hard.
Old 5th October 2009, 18:28   #4
BHPian

@Skumar69 - Are you sure this is not the sound from the ABS in action. In my elantra when the ABS comes in to work, I hear the vehicle shudder as the brakees are released and reapplied by the ABS.
Old 5th October 2009, 18:35   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElantraGT View Post
@Skumar69 - Are you sure this is not the sound from the ABS in action. In my elantra when the ABS comes in to work, I hear the vehicle shudder as the brakees are released and reapplied by the ABS.

Unfortunately, my car is not equipped with ABS as it was too expensive for me that time :(
Old 5th October 2009, 18:39   #6
BHPian

Ohhhhh thats bad then. When was the last time your vehicle was serviced? Did you check the break pads for wear and tear?
Old 5th October 2009, 18:42   #7
Senior - BHPian

our zen had faced similar problem, noise of metal rubbing was heard while applying brakes. Brake was very week suddenly. Same day after some Kms, the front disk assembly came out
my brother took it to M.A.S.S and got disk replaced

Please get it checked from M.A.S.S on priority. Not sure what had happend as I was abroad that time
Old 6th October 2009, 10:30   #8
Senior - BHPian

My friend's accent showed similar sound but got rectified by changing the brake pads.
Old 6th October 2009, 11:05   #9
BHPian

Please get the car checked and do not drive fast till the problem is fixed or someone will be heading to hospital. :(
Old 6th October 2009, 11:17   #10
Senior - BHPian

Showing off swift to guest by braking hard!!! you are putting others to risk.

Get it checked by MASS immediately, least others loose their life and property. Could possibly be due to cracked pads or cracking assembly itself.
Old 6th October 2009, 12:09   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigy View Post
Showing off swift to guest by braking hard!!! you are putting others to risk.

Get it checked by MASS immediately, least others loose their life and property. Could possibly be due to cracked pads or cracking assembly itself.
Showing off my Swift by breaking hard is just not my driving style. But, it so happened that while I was elaborating on the greatness and features of Swift, I had to break hard due to some reason. That is when this happened and all my greatness talks evaporated away.

Anybody knows how long is Swift under warranty?
Old 7th October 2009, 02:04   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skumar69 View Post

Anybody knows how long is Swift under warranty?

Well it has a three year extended warrenty which is built into the on road cost.I think its the break pads beacuase when you hit it hard then the complete break pad hits the disk and the worne out in portions and may have caused gaps due to which you get these judders.If you just hit it slowly then only a portion of the shoe ie the part with maximum grip could engaging and you not having this.This could happen because of normal wear and tare.
Old 7th October 2009, 02:12   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
Well it has a three year extended warrenty which is built into the on road cost.I think its the break pads beacuase when you hit it hard then the complete break pad hits the disk and the worne out in portions and may have caused gaps due to which you get these judders.If you just hit it slowly then only a portion of the shoe ie the part with maximum grip could engaging and you not having this.This could happen because of normal wear and tare.
It has a 2 year company warranty which can be extended by another 2 years.

Try it on different road surfaces too, might be because of uneven bouncy roads too.

If it is juddering all the time, get the brakes bled, disc cleaned, pads cleaned and then try again. A warped disc wont come under warranty and u ll have to get it skimmed with the pads replaced.
Old 7th October 2009, 02:15   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
It has a 2 year company warranty which can be extended by another 2 years.
Well i think it has changedi bought my swift in june and i paid for 3 years extended warrenty along with one year company warrenty.
Old 7th October 2009, 02:26   #15
Senior - BHPian

Aing, thats strange, i got mine in december and i have 2 years company warranty and 2 years extended.

One year company warranty only, sheesh , maruti whats up, when the competition is giving such hi fundu warranties, this move by maruti surprises me !

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks