Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2009, 10:28   #1
BHPian

Rooftop A/c's

I have seen many rooftop a/c's in vehicles like Force traveler.
Now the question, do these A/c's run on compressors connected to the engine or do they run on batteries.
What is the cost of such a/c's.
Old 6th October 2009, 11:02   #2
Senior - BHPian

Even i am looking for information on such thing for omni.
Old 6th October 2009, 23:32   #3
BHPian

all vehicle ACs work off the engine AFAIK.
Old 7th October 2009, 00:05   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver_shadow View Post
all vehicle ACs work off the engine AFAIK.
Unable to understand what do you mean. All ACs depend on the engine to work (compressor is connected with a belt called AC Belt to the engine). Have heard in some buses etc there is a special generator to drive the AC but I guess the Force ACs work with the engine only.
Old 7th October 2009, 08:50   #5
BHPian

The roof mounted blower has cooling coils and blower . The cooling coils are connected to the compressor and blower to battery . The are similar to in dash ac but are roof mounted to give better cooling at rear.
Old 7th October 2009, 09:08   #6
Senior - BHPian

Guys he is not asking about roof mounted coils and blower as in Tata Safari , In commercial vehicles like AC Buses and Tempo traveler full AC unit including compressor is mounted either in rear or on roof top ( in case of traveler)

As far as I know a separate engine is used to drive this Auxillary AC unit and it is not driven from Vehicle engine as the AC load for a bus / mini bus would be huge on the main engine.
Driving using battery is also futile because battery is actually charged by Alternator which again means same load on engine + Conversion losses

Usually on traveler these AC are of Carrier make but I have no idea about the cost.
Old 7th October 2009, 09:34   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddy6980 View Post
I have seen many rooftop a/c's in vehicles like Force traveler.
Now the question, do these A/c's run on compressors connected to the engine or do they run on batteries.
What is the cost of such a/c's.
All that is mounted on the rooftop is the condenser and a fan. The compressor stays in the engine bay.
On large buses a separate engine-driven compressor is used and the engine + compressor + condenser assembly is roof mounted.
Old 7th October 2009, 09:34   #8
BHPian

In Force site they have mentioned that the AC's used are of Subros make.
Old 7th October 2009, 14:58   #9
BANNED

I asked for a quote for such ac from a company in faridabad. If i remember correctly it was sidwal and the quote i got was around 80,000 Rs .This inlcudes everythin for the ac and installation.And this was the smallest ac they have.
Now for what i was looking you guys will not believe , i thought to make the ac of 800 more effective .
LOL
Old 7th October 2009, 15:12   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trust_In_Thrust View Post
I asked for a quote for such ac from a company in faridabad. If i remember correctly it was sidwal and the quote i got was around 80,000 Rs .This inlcudes everythin for the ac and installation.And this was the smallest ac they have.
Now for what i was looking you guys will not believe , i thought to make the ac of 800 more effective .
LOL
i am unable to understand whether you want the ac for traveller or for maruti 800?
Old 7th October 2009, 15:47   #11
BANNED

^ These ac that are mounted on roof top come sin various sizes . I chose the smallest for the M800 but was not cost effective .
Now dont' embarrass me again saying you want to install this in M800.I know i was insane.
But now i have a new design in mind for the 800.

Last edited by Trust_In_Thrust : 7th October 2009 at 15:51.
Old 7th October 2009, 16:38   #12
BHPian

Ok,I cant let this go.

MARUTI 800 MATE ? ARE YOU SERIOUS!

hehe, fine I wont push it.
Old 7th October 2009, 17:49   #13
BHPian

someone told me about a little fan that you can fit on the roof between the passenger seats and driver seat which will channel some of the AC air towards the back. supposedly it's quite effective. instead of looking at roof mounted ACs which will cost almost as much as the car and add to it's instability you might want to try the fan which is alot cheaper!
Old 7th October 2009, 21:36   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trust_In_Thrust View Post
LOL
I would not consider you totally insane!
If you were to shift the condenser of the existing AC to the roof at a 30 degree rake, you'll find quite an improvement! There will have to be a fan with the condenser too, for the times you are not moving at speed. Can be a manually controlled fan, with a switch at the dashboard.
Old 8th October 2009, 01:38   #15
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver_shadow View Post
someone told me about a little fan that you can fit on the roof between the passenger seats and driver seat which will channel some of the AC air towards the back. supposedly it's quite effective. instead of looking at roof mounted ACs which will cost almost as much as the car and add to it's instability you might want to try the fan which is alot cheaper!
well, a few years back i used to travel in BPO cabs a lot. they were either tavera, sumo or a qualis.

I have seen two type of these AC's -

one kind are the two little boxes that have a cylindrical fan in them that circulate the cool air towards the rear, very effective for the price i would say..

The other ones i have seen are just like the one in the safari, they fit very neatly, chill like crazy and they have their own condenser pipes and everything. i presume the have another compressor as well as these things cost around 25-30K

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks