Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2005, 01:13   #1
BHPian

Opel Astra - 65k Service - Selecting the right filters etc.

Hi Guys! Mine is a Opel Astra... and when I went to Mazda Motors to ask which engine oil and air filter they generally use for Astra... the guy there replied, "they would use a good engine oil which costs something about 600/- and Bosch Filter which costs something about 650/-".... and when I asked him about if there was universal filter available the guy replied"there are thousands of filters available in the market".... I had no word what to ask for..... my doubt is my astra has done 65k.... is it OK if I go for castrol magantec.... and by the way, can anyone tell me what's a timing belt??? and what it does???????? Thank You, soNy
Old 23rd July 2005, 11:32   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonycs
and by the way, can anyone tell me what's a timing belt??? and what it does???????? Thank You, soNy
Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.familycar.com/CarCare/TimingBelt.htm

The job of the timing belt is to turn the camshaft(s) at exactly 1/2 the speed of the crankshaft while maintaining a precise alignment. This means that the crankshaft will make two revolutions for every revolution of the camshaft. Engines will have at least one camshaft, or as many as four camshafts in some of the V-type engines. The camshaft causes the intake and exhaust valves to open and close in time with the pistons which move up and down in the cylinders. The valves must open and close at exactly the right time in relationship to the piston movement in order for the engine to run properly

abt the filter ,u shud be able to get a genuine opel astra air filter from any GM dealer.

abt castrol magnatec ,it costs abt 180rs per liter.
mobil 1 full synthetic oil costs abt 450 rs /liter and has greater drain interval.
Old 23rd July 2005, 18:52   #3
BHPian

you better get your oils and filter changed at KUN OPEL in RTC X ROADS ...\
they use GM spares .. and you will have proper work done on your car ...
Old 23rd July 2005, 19:13   #4
Senior - BHPian

why dont you just get a K & N for your astra ..get the factory replacement filter ..not the performance one...
Old 24th July 2005, 12:45   #5
Team-BHP Support

Hi Sonycs,

As haryan said, if i were you, i would stick with the original GM spares and not play around with any K&N and 3rd party filters. Simply because you have said the car is in perfect condition, and i believe you would want to keep it that way without risking anything to experimentation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonycs
can anyone tell me what's a timing belt??? and what it does????????
It is the belt on the engine that controls the rotation(timing) of the camshaft(which is responsible for opening the intake & ehaust valves in your engine), i strongly suggest you get it changed if it has been brought to your attention (astras do require an early timing belt change?).

http://www.familycar.com/CarCare/TimingBelt.htm

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 24th July 2005 at 12:48.
Old 26th July 2005, 07:43   #6
BHPian

Thanx very much Haryan... Ur suggestion really helped me. I was to GM, x-roads... I'll be getting my car back today... Thanx
Old 27th July 2005, 13:06   #7
BHPian

i have a k&n on my astra. and i am happy i put it. i was sceptical before i put it incase something would go wrong. but after using it for over 6 months now i am so happy with it, its gonna go on every car i am gonna own.

the only reason you wouldnt put it is incase you are bothered about emissions.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks