Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2009, 17:34   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANOS View Post
hi Epic,

I don't see the need for premature bearing ware by upsizing. but a point to note , pls make sure that the bearings u buy are from a reputed brand like SKF etc.
Hi Vanos,

Point taken. The wheel bearings have been changed at Vitesse, Andheri West who are the authorised service centre for all Maruti Suzuki vehicles ONLY.

Also my bearings are not an issue anymore since they have been changed, but the grinding/scruffing sound & 'tak' sound which is the issue now.
Old 13th March 2010, 16:46   #32
BHPian

my swift has done 34000kms in the odo, and my car had a strange humming noise , it was the rear wheel's busted bearings . the mechanic told me its because of the upsize of my tires and water getting into the barrel of some sort.. tires used -205/55 R15 now downsized to 195/60 R15. so hope all goes good!
Old 8th February 2012, 17:09   #33
Senior - BHPian

Re: Does a Tire/Wheel Upgrade Damage Wheel Bearings??

Guys, my Punto 90hp has this humming noise when it crosses 60 kmph as discussed here.

Now, my Punto has aftermarket alloys but they are OE spec, that is, 98 PCD, 4 holes & 15". I have even kept the same OE tyres without upsizing. I am not very sure of the offset but I have not used any spacer rings. However, the alloy wheel dealer had to install hub centric rings as I was experiencing steering wobbling at high speeds.

So now, can the alloys be responsible for the wheel bearing damage (if at all its wheel bearing damage)? I just want to go prepared to the A.S.S. tomorrow so that they dont throw any nasty surprises on me. they may not honour my warranty claim citing my aftermarket alloys as the reason.
Old 9th February 2012, 13:07   #34
BHPian

Hi raj 5004,
My point is that bearing noise will only be heard at low speeds. Once you cross 40 kmph, wind and other noise will over shadow bearing noise. Could be tyre noise, a problem with symmetrical tread patern.
Old 31st August 2012, 13:37   #35
BHPian

Hi,

On my 2008 Swift VXI, the Lug nuts and Bolts on both front wheels have broken due to wrong threading by the Alignment and Balancing guy. This happened yesterday and today I dropped off the car at Varun Motors, Gachibowli to replace the part.
The SA said for all Swifts, if the lug nuts and bolt is replaced, the wheel bearings also need to be replaced due to a possibility of wrong seating during the process of dismantling the front discs. I have never changed the wheel bearings before and neither do they sound worn out. The car has done about 73K. Kindly advice if this is actually the case or is it safe to just get them replaced irrespective of wear and tear.
Old 31st August 2012, 21:37   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_boundaries View Post
Hi,

On my 2008 Swift VXI, the Lug nuts and Bolts on both front wheels have broken due to wrong threading by the Alignment and Balancing guy. ....
Just got the car back and took it for a short spin on the Nehru ORR, there was absolutely no problem with the wheel and I suppose there is no need to change the bearing. The total cost came upto Rs 20.24 for 2 nos wheel stud & nut and Rs 300 for labour. I guess that's ok considering the job involved dismantling few parts and putting it back together.
Old 31st August 2012, 21:51   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Gen 1 Swifts (2005-06) have a tendency to bust front wheel bearings quicker than other cars, so my mech tells me. Cost of replacement is not high. I run the OE 185 profile tyres & alloys - it's a Zxi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANOS
Hi raj 5004,
My point is that bearing noise will only be heard at low speeds. Once you cross 40 kmph, wind and other noise will over shadow bearing noise.
The reverse applies in real life. Wheel bearing noise/humming rises with speed. The sound is not unlike tyre noise, but if you've heard both, you'll know which is which.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 31st August 2012 at 21:57.
Old 18th September 2012, 23:43   #38
BHPian

Punto wheels went into a pit-steering wobbling- is it alignment issue? suspension

Yesterday night, My 1.4 Grande punto emotion Pack fell into (in fact, rolled down into) a semi-dry muddy pit while reversing at crawling speeds. I took it for daily commute today and while coming back late evening, at speeds higher than 60kmph felt like steering is wobbling.

Could something have happened to alignment? or it could be suspension issues /springs / mount ?-
(I am still to look for any visible alloy bends).

Few more details: Right rear wheel went in by just more than half the tire height, at the same time Right front wheel was in another small pit less than half the tire height. Hence I Couldn't get it out by myself. I tried straight and revved, also steered it onto left and right extremes and briefly revving hard so that it gets some grip along the sides of the pit, but only tire spinning and burnt. Left front was on ground, but not firmly, and lacked grip since the right was inside the pit. Another 2 persons helped - by holding up the car by their hand along the top frame, and other person by the front right wheel arch so with some revving it came out with a jerk. While inside the pit, the right part of car was seen resting on the flat part below the suspension spring on the sides of the pit, as the tire was almost inside the pit itself.
I didn't feel any wobbling during the morning drive, as speeds were 50 or below. During night noticed it slightly and decided to test it in higher speeds, thus at 60-70 speeds really felt the wobbling part. Was planning for a highway drive tomorrow being holiday, for now cancelled it. Plan to take it to TAFE service the day after or so.
Or before that is it better to check at an alignment shop? (XL tire point is near)

Last edited by ThePunter : 18th September 2012 at 23:44. Reason: spelling
Old 19th September 2012, 00:41   #39
BHPian

Hi Punter.

Check if any mud lumps are stuck on to the inner sides of the alloy wheels.

Recently another Bhpian faced a similar problem in his Linea route Ladakh. If not, then check alignment and balancing. I believe stone hitting hard on to alloy wheel/suspension might damage some mechanical parts.. But mud won't bent any mechanical parts.
Old 19th September 2012, 08:56   #40
Senior - BHPian

2008 December Swift Diesel. Always has been on alloy wheels, 5 thousand kilometres on OE ZDI alloys and later on prestige ones with 185/70/R14 Michlelins. The car has run 54300 km till now with mostly highway use. No wheel bearing change or noise till now at all.
Old 19th September 2012, 15:29   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LP640
Hi Punter.

Check if any mud lumps are stuck on to the inner sides of the alloy wheels.

Recently another Bhpian faced a similar problem in his Linea route Ladakh. If not, then check alignment and balancing. I believe stone hitting hard on to alloy wheel/suspension might damage some mechanical parts.. But mud won't bent any mechanical parts.
I did check for those if any but didn't find.
Other than that am I correct in assuming that alignment or suspension should not get a beating in such a case- meaning, there was no sudden impact just imbalance in weight distribution due to how it got tilted when it went into the pit slowly and hence certain parts having to bear extra load.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks