Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2009, 10:34   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jav View Post
Once the engine has turned on the battery indicator has to turn off (which means the battery is getting charged by the alternator) if it still remains lit even after starting the engine it means the battery is getting drained and there is a problem in the charging system.
I have a similar issue in my maruthi 800

when I start the vehicle The battery indicator will be on , but after some time , If I accelerate the vehicle well the battery light will turn off.

I thought it can be an issue with the battery , we got a brand new battery now but the issue still persists.

Can some one throw some light in to this issue ?
Old 16th October 2009, 11:23   #17
BHPian

@foby if the light fades when you accelerate then it is the alternator diode/ rectifier.

PLease check it with a non M.a.s.s , may be a Lucas service centre near you.
Old 16th October 2009, 11:44   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karizma_devil View Post
@foby if the light fades when you accelerate then it is the alternator diode/ rectifier.

PLease check it with a non M.a.s.s , may be a Lucas service centre near you.

Thank you mate , I am very weak in the eletrical side of a car , oops even in my engineering studies too
Old 16th October 2009, 11:55   #19
jav
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by foby.sebastian View Post

when I start the vehicle The battery indicator will be on , but after some time , If I accelerate the vehicle well the battery light will turn off.

I thought it can be an issue with the battery , we got a brand new battery now but the issue still persists.

I think the alternator is getting weak and/or it can be the diode.
Old 16th October 2009, 11:59   #20
BHPian

Apparantly the battery is getting charged bcoz the battery indicator goes off after starting the car . The voltmeter gives a 13.88 with the new battery after I turn on the car (Is this normal?). Since the battery is new it needs a full time charging to get to full power pace.

The lights were going off after starting the car even when I took the car off from prerana yesterday i.e. with the old battery. I was sure about the battery problem since even after driving for long distance the car could crank only once max, no power was left for second crank. Meaning the battery was getting charged to some extent. Prerana guys charged the battery externally for more than 5 hours too.

Also yesterday the battery was very hot when the battery shop guy opened the bonnet to check them up. Is that also a sign of aged battery? At least that is what he told me.

Initially when the problem surfaced then the battery indicator was not coming up even before turning the keys on. I think that was a case of current leakage which was fixed by prerana guys (I dont know to what extent this is true) bcoz later the lights started to show up with the old as well as new battery.
So i think something was fixed by prerana guys which was screwed up by Hariprasad guys.

After this incidence I am kinda sceptical and scared to go to any other service station, but still I feel to give BOSCH service a try. My car is still due service.
I am a little happy with prerana bcoz at least they gave some level of QOS, they showed their concern, ownership and care when I was stranded. It was completely unlike Hariprasad who charged 500 bucks for screwing up the things and a sense of washing hands away after delivering the car.
Prerana guys charged me only 250 bucks.
So altogether I spent approx 5500 bucks to buy battery, labour cost, fuel and hell lot of tension and stress.
Old 16th October 2009, 12:11   #21
Senior - BHPian

Speed, i would suggest that you get your car checked once at "Concorde" Hosur road.
i wont dare to take my Adventure anywhere else.
Old 16th October 2009, 12:28   #22
Senior - BHPian

Although its a crude method, one quick way of checking whether the alternator is supplying power to charge the batteries is to get the car in front of a wall with the headlights ON and slightly rev the engine.

If you see the headlights becoming a bit more intensive/brighter during the revving, it gives an indication that the alternator is providing some charge to the battery.
In a completely dead alternator, there would be no difference in the headlight intensity while pressing the accelerator.

Also as mentioned in the previous posts, push starting any car with a catalytic converter could permanently damage the same and prove costly.
Old 16th October 2009, 12:39   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Speed, i would suggest that you get your car checked once at "Concorde" Hosur road.
i wont dare to take my Adventure anywhere else.
Concorde, Prerana, they are all blood brothers! ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
Although its a crude method, one quick way of checking whether the alternator is supplying power to charge the batteries is to get the car in front of a wall with the headlights ON and slightly rev the engine.

If you see the headlights becoming a bit more intensive/brighter during the revving, it gives an indication that the alternator is providing some charge to the battery.
In a completely dead alternator, there would be no difference in the headlight intensity while pressing the accelerator.

Also as mentioned in the previous posts, push starting any car with a catalytic converter could permanently damage the same and prove costly.
I got them checked with a voltmeter which goes up after starting the car. Vaguely I remember it was 13.2 before starting and 13.88 after starting the car. That means alternator is working fine.
Also I got the alternator completely checked at prerana. Its working fine.

Now since the battery is replaced, I need to observe the car for next few days for the behavior. Lets see.
Old 16th October 2009, 12:50   #24
Senior - BHPian

Well am not sure how close are they but "Concorde" has succeded in fixing all the issues till now without any fuss! its more then a year am still stuck with them, though the drive is quiet long. Marathalli to Hosur road but i dont mind it.
Old 16th October 2009, 13:05   #25
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by foby.sebastian View Post

For starters, check the alternator belt. If it is slightly loose, the idle RPM may not generate enough voltage from the alternator for the light to go off.
Old 16th October 2009, 15:20   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Well am not sure how close are they but "Concorde" has succeded in fixing all the issues till now without any fuss! its more then a year am still stuck with them, though the drive is quiet long. Marathalli to Hosur road but i dont mind it.
Both prerana and Concorde has excellent workmanship and skilled mechanics.
But my personal experience with prerana has been bitter as they quoted 25K to make my tata safari gearbox more slick.
Concorde did it for 3K and till date I have no complains.Its been 4 months now.
Old 16th October 2009, 16:12   #27
BHPian

I am not very sure about any of the Fiat-Tata service centers including prerana. Till date whatever they have done was only based on guesswork. They are more good in talking sweet.

But this time I am seeing whatever they have said or done is upto the mark or not. Otherwise I'll have to be a lab monkey again next time (trying Bosch or Concorde).
Old 16th October 2009, 21:21   #28
BHPian

@speedpujari: Now that you have got your battery replaced, do check the voltage across terminals with the engine idling and with all the usual electrical loads. Should be over 12 volts. If not, then I would suspect an electrical leak like Karizma devil described.

One way of checking if the battery is getting *sufficiently* charged (merely getting charged is not good enough) when the engine is idling is:

Start engine, turn on electrical loads(lights, A/C etc), turn on interior light (either by opening the door, or by moving the interior light to 'ON' position).

Now, while concentrating on the interior light, turn the engine off (all the electrical loads would also turn of automatically in the Palio). If the interior light grows dimmer, then the battery was being charged even with all the electrical loads on.

The idea behind this test is:

(System voltage with electrical loads + engine idling) should be greater that (system voltage without electric loads + engine off)

On the part about the sensors, let me get back to NOIDA in a few days and I would try to find out the correct test procedures for the said sensors.

Last edited by vipul_singh : 16th October 2009 at 21:24.
vipul_singh is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks