Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th October 2009, 02:23   #1
BHPian

Intercooler Design

This is regarding Intercooler design for Turbo installations... A friend is undertaking a project to add a turbo & Intercooler on a naturally aspirated engine. I'd want to know what factors need to be considered in deciding upon the Intercooler.
He'd want to procure a spare I/C from one of the indian cars.
Can I please know the volume of I/C used in Tata Dicor vehicles ? (preferred as the size is optimum for usage)

I reckon that if the volume is known, the rate of heat dissipation possible may be calculated. I had thought of setting up a test rig as follows.

T1 Thermometer installed in the inlet pipe.
T2 Thermometer installed in the outlet pipe.
Incoming air from a big size heater (similar to a large scale hair dryer).
Electric Blower throwing air across the I/C fins.
waiting for XX seconds while for thermometer readings stabilize.
Note T1-T2.
The I/C with smallest XX and largest (T1-T2) should be preferred. Or not ?

Any better means to achieve post T/C air temperatures without an engine ?
Old 19th October 2009, 05:02   #2
Senior - BHPian

IIRC the indixx tdi and the dicor use the same IC at least they look similat. should be able to get hold of the ic from a scrapped TDI - they are dime a dozen!
Old 19th October 2009, 09:58   #3
BHPian

Indigo is a top mount intercooler. Design of inlet and exhaust might be different.

Check out the scorpio's intercoolers - the crde has a front mount intercooler while the mHawks have a top mount intercooler.
Old 19th October 2009, 18:35   #4
Senior - BHPian

No point setting up your rig, because you will never be able to simulate temperatures right, and your incoming airflow onto the I/C will be meagre compared to actual flow during running. At 100 kmph, airflow is massive, which is something most people do not factor into their calculations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manas View Post
Any better means to achieve post T/C air temperatures without an engine ?
You mean without an I/C. Without an engine, the turbo itself is useless!

Yes, there are ways. You can remote mount the turbo, which will lead to lower hot-side temperatures as well as lower intake temperatures. Another way is to inject extra fuel into the manifold, or water-meth injection. But these require a lot of finetuning, so I'd advise against it.

Just try on the most easily available intercooler. You're better off perfecting the tune on your existing/initial setup, than worrying about intercooler temperature drops. Having said that, a good aftermarket intercooler -- Garrett, PWR -- will make a noticeable difference to power, and will be much better than the Indian OE intercooler, as on the Scorpio and Indigo.
Old 19th October 2009, 19:02   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

What car / NA engine is he looking to modify? If its a Jap / Euro, good chance that he will find ready after-market bolt on parts (intercooler and then some).
Old 19th October 2009, 19:26   #6
CJP
BHPian

Intercooler for Innova

Gentlemen,

a quick look a the engine bay of the Innova revealed that even though it had a nice turbo charger, there is no intercooler. Any suggestions or ideas about

1. selecting an intercooler
2. possible mounting options and other necessities - does it need an extra fan?

thanks
CJP
Old 19th October 2009, 20:25   #7
CJP
BHPian

Intercooler for Innova

Folks,

here are some pics, this is from eBay, Malaysia. eBay.com.my: Toyota Hilux Fortuner HiAce 2.5 TTE Intercooler Kit DIY (item 180403116781 end time Sep 07, 2009 08:10:00 MYT)

This is for the Hilux, the fitting seems to be fairly straight forward. Not sure if this can be fitted to the Innova though. Any comments or ideas about this one?

thanks
CJP
Attached Thumbnails
Intercooler Design-bc8f_35.jpg  

Intercooler Design-bbb3_35.jpg  

Old 21st October 2009, 12:02   #8
BHPian

thanks

Thanks to everyone...
Old 21st October 2009, 15:27   #9
Senior - BHPian

If I were you, I'd just wait and let toyota do the hard work

I recall hearing that toyota is working on adding an Intercooler to the innova to make it BSIV compliant.
Old 21st October 2009, 15:37   #10
snoopy41

what is the car to which this turbo install is being planned,,has the engine had an overhaul,,is it a petrol or diesel,,this is not a recommended modification for amateurs

Old 30th October 2009, 02:46   #11
Senior - BHPian

the 2KD FTV engine that is in Innova comes in both intercooler and non intercooler versions. Multiple tuning options are avaiable for this engine.. : -
- 102 bhp / 20 Kgm for Manual-
- 102 bhp /26 kgm for Auto transmission
- 120 Bhp /32 Kgm for Intercooler version

The intercooler option is offered for HiLux and Fortuner only. till date have not heard of a single innova model that has Intercooler..though IMHO there seems to be enuf space in the engine bay to fit one.
the data I mentioned is approx outputs as I am scribbling from memory,..

Higher power means higher stress for the engine...the 1KD FTV (3 liter D4D) that Toyota puts in the fortuner is designed for performance while 2 KD FTV (2.5 litre D4D) , while being a newer unit compared to 1KD FTV, is designed for commercial vehicle applications where fuel efficiency, reliability and longevity considerations take priority over outright performance.

Expect the taxi operators to put their Innovas to hard work...the last Innova Taxi I hired had completed 1.65 lakh kms in 30 months..of course it still had the original clutch and felt very well put together with no rattles....

On the other hand...not too many persons are going to put in serious mileage on a fortuner...what with the bumpy unsettled ride that induces fatigue on long highways trips.... The higher sticker price and cramped interiors mean it will never make it in the taxi segment either. It will always remain an individual owned vehicle.

Note that this is not to criticise or take anything away from the awesome road presence and Go anywhere capability that fortuner brings to table along with decent performance.

Last edited by Buffetfan : 30th October 2009 at 02:57.
Old 30th October 2009, 07:30   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffetfan View Post
the 2KD FTV engine that is in Innova comes in both intercooler and non intercooler versions. Multiple tuning options are avaiable for this engine.. : -
- 102 bhp / 20 Kgm for Manual-
- 102 bhp /26 kgm for Auto transmission
- 120 Bhp /32 Kgm for Intercooler version

The intercooler option is offered for HiLux and Fortuner only. till date have not heard of a single innova model that has Intercooler..though IMHO there seems to be enuf space in the engine bay to fit one.
the data I mentioned is approx outputs as I am scribbling from memory,..

Higher power means higher stress for the engine...the 1KD FTV (3 liter D4D) that Toyota puts in the fortuner is designed for performance while 2 KD FTV (2.5 litre D4D) , while being a newer unit compared to 1KD FTV, is designed for commercial vehicle applications where fuel efficiency, reliability and longevity considerations take priority over outright performance.

Expect the taxi operators to put their Innovas to hard work...the last Innova Taxi I hired had completed 1.65 lakh kms in 30 months..of course it still had the original clutch and felt very well put together with no rattles....

On the other hand...not too many persons are going to put in serious mileage on a fortuner...what with the bumpy unsettled ride that induces fatigue on long highways trips.... The higher sticker price and cramped interiors mean it will never make it in the taxi segment either. It will always remain an individual owned vehicle.

Note that this is not to criticise or take anything away from the awesome road presence and Go anywhere capability that fortuner brings to table along with decent performance.
Adding an intercooler will not decrease the reliability of the turbo-charged engine, since there are no additional moving parts involved. IMO having a turbo without an intercooler is the stupidest thing anyone can do. If Toyota really wanted to cut costs, they should've done it somewhere else.

Last edited by sujaylahiri : 30th October 2009 at 07:33.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks