Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2009, 18:01   #1
BHPian

Ford Ikon Power Steering Pump

Hi mates,

My friends Ikon is giving trouble again.

I had already had a technical query and was sorted out in http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...0-80-kmph.html

After that the car was problem free for about 2000 kms. About 2 days ago my friend was driving around in chennai and noticed that the temperature gauge was shooting up and the steering was getting hard. He immediately stopped the car and had a look into the cars engine bay and noticed that the power steering belt had come out. He called me, I advised him to go to MPL Motors service center which was very near to where he was standing. The car was inspected and he was told that the power steering pump was 'weak' and the belt had come out because of the weak pump. The service center quoted 15k for a new power steering pump. As my friend was in a hurry he asked them to fix in the belt in and he drove off.

My friend has gone abroad for a business trip and would be back in a week. He asked me for my help as this is the first car in his family and no other person in his family knows anything about cars. The car is with me now. I m in a dilemma whether to take the car to a local mechanic or to a authorized service place.

It is a 2005 Ikon 1.3 Flair model. Run about 45k kms.

Pls help me out mates.

Last edited by Archish : 26th October 2009 at 18:02.
Old 26th October 2009, 18:07   #2
BHPian

I don't see how the belt can come out because the power steering pump is 'weak'.

I would suggest taking the car to Ignite on ECR. Speak with Raghav there. He is an honest chap and should be able to sort out the issue with minimal expense.
Old 26th October 2009, 18:12   #3
Team-BHP Support

I think its the Rack and pinion arrangement thats playing foul. If this is the case, the power steering oil would be leaking.
Old 26th October 2009, 21:40   #4
Senior - BHPian

Belt will come out if it is loose and not because of a weak PS pump. If the PS belt is loose, then lock to lock, it will make screeching sound. Did your friend experience any such sound? Most PS pumps are sealed monoblocs and it is very difficult to detect if it is weak or not. They only fail and that too if run dry.

A leak is there or not could be determined by checking the PS fluid level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
I think its the Rack and pinion arrangement thats playing foul. If this is the case, the power steering oil would be leaking.
Old 26th October 2009, 22:26   #5
BHPian

A weak power steering pump does not have anything to do with the belt issue. Possibilities are that the belt would have worn out or a leak from the pump would have been on the spindle which would have slipped the belt out of position. But if that is the case then you should be seeing oil leak and the powersteering warning light in your dash should be lit.

Ask the MPL guys to explain how they determined that the pump is weak,
Old 26th October 2009, 22:49   #6
Senior - BHPian

I guess its best to trouble shoot one thing at a time to save 15k. Start with a new belt and get all the pulleys and bearings inspected for play, wear etc. I have never heard of a weak pump causing the belt to come off. Maybe its just a case of a tensioner adjustment(if there is one) and a worn belt. Also check the oil filter inside the PS pump for clogs.
Old 27th October 2009, 15:17   #7
BHPian

The Power steering fluid is leaking. I noticed that.

I have been driving the car around for the last 2 days and there is no noise, i m 100% sure about that.

There is no warning light glowing in the dash board right now. My friend did mention that there was a light on when the belt was loose. But he was sure it was the battery warning light.

@ Sideways:
Can PM the number for Raghav or Ignite.
Old 28th October 2009, 13:17   #8
BHPian

Took car to Ignite yesterday. Called Raghav and made up an appointment at 6pm. Called him twice for the location and was quite easy to find.

He checked the car and did a test drive. Then took a look under the hood. He suggested that it is better that the pump be changed, then made a few calls then quoted 10k or less. He is to leave abroad today, so he got a confirmation from me and ordered the pump. The pump would be fixed maro.

Would keep this thread updated.
Old 28th October 2009, 13:27   #9
Team-BHP Support

How are the power steering rack and the steering pump related ? How is he so sure that its the pump ?
Old 28th October 2009, 15:27   #10
BANNED

I think there might be some problem with the power steering pump as you have mentioned engine over heating as well . did you try running the engine without the power steering pump attached ? does the engine heat up ?
Old 29th October 2009, 00:52   #11
BHPian

Battery light turning on when the engine is running indicates that the battery is not charging. And the primary reason would be if alternator is not running then the battery charging light would be lit. If there is leak then it needs to be replaced or repaired.
Old 29th October 2009, 10:50   #12
Team-BHP Support

Ok, since the battery light was on let me try to explain what happened (from my experience)

- The rack and pinion arrangement of your PS is leaking. It is a common problem in the ikons and will cost about 18-20k to get it replaced at an authorised Ford service center.

- The power steering fluid has leaked on the alternator, leading to it not working anymore. As a result, battery is not getting charged. This is potentially dangerous since the car might refuse to start anytime.

- Changing the pump will (may ?) not solve the problem, IMO. Its the entire assembly that needs to be changed.

It can be repaired from a local garage, but expertise is tough to find.
Old 29th October 2009, 12:04   #13
BHPian

Sorry to be intruding into this thread and taking up a similar issue that I have been facing with my Ikon.

As the problem is with the steering and its assembly, I thought to take it up here.

My Ikon has done approx 58K kms and for the past 1 month I have been hearing a kat..kat/grinding sound coming from the steering.The observations of this sound are as follows.

1. The sound comes only when the car is left for long period i.e morning starts or its a grinding sound when started after approximately 8 to 10 hrs.

2. The sound comes only when I turn the steering to the left..the sound is not there when I turn the steering to the right.

3. The sound/little grinding lasts for a very short while i.e while backing up or while taking a turn to the left..say approx 10sec.

4. No sound thereafter during driving or while the car is taking a turn.

Would appreciate if someone could give some inputs before me taking the car for servicing, which is due next month.

Regards
Old 29th October 2009, 12:15   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by zen91 View Post
2. The sound comes only when I turn the steering to the left..the sound is not there when I turn the steering to the right.

3. The sound/little grinding lasts for a very short while i.e while backing up or while taking a turn to the left..say approx 10sec.
This this at full lock to the left, or even with a slight turn to the left?
Old 29th October 2009, 13:04   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
This this at full lock to the left, or even with a slight turn to the left?

The sound comes even with a slight turn to the left.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks