Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2009, 12:42   #1
BHPian

Does painting the brakes (Caliper / Drum) reduce braking efficiency ??

Hi guys,

Just out of curiosity, wanted to know whether painting the brake (Caliper / Drum) reduce braking efficiency ??
OR
Changing the OE colour of the brake caliper / drums reduce braking efficiency ??

Since every colour absorbs or dissipates heat at a different rate.
So would painting or changing the colour of the brake caliper / drum have ANY adverse effects on the braking efficiency or heat dissipation ??
maglev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2009, 14:10   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maglev View Post
Hi guys,

Just out of curiosity, wanted to know whether painting the brake (Caliper / Drum) reduce braking efficiency ??
OR
Changing the OE colour of the brake caliper / drums reduce braking efficiency ??
Absolutly no!! these parts are painted anyway during underbody coating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maglev View Post
Since every colour absorbs or dissipates heat at a different rate.
So would painting or changing the colour of the brake caliper / drum have ANY adverse effects on the braking efficiency or heat dissipation ??
What does braking in our car has to do with the amount of heat decipation, seriously . Our cars have have semi metalic break pads, incase of high end cars like porsche you have ceramic break pads which might get affected by small change in parameters.

Pramod

BTW what car do you drive?
Old 30th October 2009, 14:31   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
What does braking in our car has to do with the amount of heat decipation, seriously . Our cars have have semi metalic break pads, incase of high end cars like porsche you have ceramic break pads which might get affected by small change in parameters.

Pramod

The faster you dissipate heat from the pads, the more effective they are. If you cannot dissipate heat fast enough, you will experience brake fade, where your brakes become practically useless until the pads are cooled down again. However, this paintaing business is not going to affect heat dissipation, it all depends on the circulation of air around the brakes.
Old 30th October 2009, 14:39   #4
BHPian

In the case of Disc brakes, brake fade is more dependent on the dissipation of heat from the rotors rather than from the pads. [Is this so?]

You can't paint the rotors.

For Drum brakes, im sure that there are vents that facilitate the cooling.
if those are covered up then it could be a problem
Old 30th October 2009, 14:42   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
The faster you dissipate heat from the pads, the more effective they are. If you cannot dissipate heat fast enough, you will experience brake fade, where your brakes become practically useless until the pads are cooled down again. However, this paintaing business is not going to affect heat dissipation, it all depends on the circulation of air around the brakes.
Thanks for enlightening me but my question was, "every colour absorbs or dissipates heat at a different rate”. Seriously, since we are just covering the calipers with paint would that any way affect the breaking? (Sprucegoose posted the question i was trying tio ask :-), you are little faster dude)

Pramod

Last edited by pramodkumar : 30th October 2009 at 14:44.
Old 30th October 2009, 16:52   #6
Senior - BHPian

No, like I said, it wouldn't affect the braking. You might look like a dork though . Btw, please don't color the drums, it looks really lame.
Old 30th October 2009, 18:01   #7
BHPian

Can someone enlighten be as to how long does the paintwork last keeping in mind the serious heat stress that the paint will be exposed to? Also, where can such a job be done or is it just a DIY thing.
Old 30th October 2009, 19:22   #8
BHPian

Brake calipers need to be painted with heat-resistant paint. Not the one that goes on the car body.
Old 30th October 2009, 19:43   #9
BHPian

I've got mine painted with normal standox paint and there are no problems at all.
Does painting the brakes (Caliper / Drum) reduce braking efficiency ??-dsc03275.jpg
audiophile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2009, 19:46   #10
Senior - BHPian

Question: If I have a red car then what color calipers would look best ? Red again or some other color. Kindly suggest.
Old 31st October 2009, 00:41   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
Absolutly no!! these parts are painted anyway during underbody coating.

Pramod

Nope, these parts are not painted during the under boding coating (Anti-Rust Presumed).
Heat Dissipation has a LOT to do with braking efficiency.
I drive a SX4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post

Many components within the engine compartment are painted BLACK or are black, because the colour black gains & dissipates heat the fastest.

On the other hand the colour SILVER takes time to get heated but it also takes time to dissipate the heat hence it blocks the heat absorbed or being emitted from a source in the vicinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprucegoose View Post
In the case of Disc brakes, brake fade is more dependent on the dissipation of heat from the rotors rather than from the pads. [Is this so?]

You can't paint the rotors.

For Drum brakes, im sure that there are vents that facilitate the cooling.
if those are covered up then it could be a problem

You can't paint the brake pads either, my query was about the calipers housing the pads.
Old 22nd May 2010, 10:24   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiophile View Post
I've got mine painted with normal standox paint and there are no problems at all.
Attachment 218505
I must admit with those alloys and the blue callipers your car must be a killer. Btw can you help me with a place in bangalore where I can get my callipers painted and also the vitamin M that would be required ?
Old 22nd May 2010, 12:18   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Question: If I have a red car then what color calipers would look best ? Red again or some other color. Kindly suggest.
Golden(ish) yellow, don't know correct name of that hue but most bike calipers come in that color and it compliment black color of tyre well and look good.

Name:  caliper.jpg
Views: 6002
Size:  127.7 KB

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks