Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2009, 19:16   #1

My Linea jerks while downshifting the car

Hi Friends,

My car jerks forward slightly shortly whenever I downshift the car, mostly at high speed, just like a bad downshift without rev matching. Not violent but you can definitely feel it.
I am wondering what could be the reason? Is it my bad driving habit or any other problem? Kindly help me out it is just 2 months old car..
Old 4th November 2009, 20:04   #2
BHPian

I have been using my Linea for the last 2.5 months and never faced this problem. Nor has anyone faced this issue on the forum. It may be a driving habit issue due to the long clutch. Try releasing the clutch a bit slower. If this doesnt work go to TASS.
Old 4th November 2009, 20:48   #3
BHPian

In all likelihood, it is due to early release of clutch. Another way is if you release the clutch but don't rev the engine simultaneously. Looks like a driving habit problem to me.
Old 4th November 2009, 21:07   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by achinthg View Post
I have been using my Linea for the last 2.5 months and never faced this problem. Nor has anyone faced this issue on the forum. It may be a driving habit issue due to the long clutch. Try releasing the clutch a bit slower. If this doesnt work go to TASS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NutsNBolts View Post
In all likelihood, it is due to early release of clutch. Another way is if you release the clutch but don't rev the engine simultaneously. Looks like a driving habit problem to me.
Actually this is happening irrespective of how fast or slowly I release the clutch. Is ABS is playing any role here or there is some kind of transmission problem.
At low speeds I don't feel this, but even in ghat section I felt this when I had the change the gear from 4th to 3rd while climbing.
Sometimes even I feel gears are not butter smooth while changing from 2nd to 3rd.
Old 4th November 2009, 21:14   #5
Senior - BHPian

Have you been facing this problem since the very beginning of your car purchase ? Or something that cropped recently only ?

If you've driven other cars before, have you experienced this earlier ?

Just trying to isolate between driving habit vs your new car.
Old 4th November 2009, 21:23   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownTheLine View Post
Hi Friends,

My car jerks forward slightly shortly whenever I downshift the car, mostly at high speed, just like a bad downshift without rev matching. Not violent but you can definitely feel it.
I am wondering what could be the reason? Is it my bad driving habit or any other problem? Kindly help me out it is just 2 months old car..
I personally feel that after you shift your gear you are releasing your clutch suddenly and hence this jerk. Try releasing the clutch smoothly after shifting the gear whether at high / low speeds.
Old 4th November 2009, 22:55   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
Have you been facing this problem since the very beginning of your car purchase ? Or something that cropped recently only ?

If you've driven other cars before, have you experienced this earlier ?

Just trying to isolate between driving habit vs your new car.
Yes I am facing it since the beginning. No this is my first car and I had not driven any car before

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaisha8 View Post
I personally feel that after you shift your gear you are releasing your clutch suddenly and hence this jerk. Try releasing the clutch smoothly after shifting the gear whether at high / low speeds.
Jaisha8, I will definitely try to be extra careful while releasing clutch and will see how it goes..
Old 5th November 2009, 00:48   #8
Senior - BHPian

Go easy on the clutch in general and the downshifts particularly. It can lead to hefty repair bills. While slowing down, tap the brakes first then, shift down by depressing the clutch fully shifting one gear lower and gently releasing the clutch while adjusting engine speed to match the speed of car.

Cheers,
Old 5th November 2009, 10:40   #9
Senior - BHPian

Try revv matching when you downshift. It'l take some practice but you'll want to do it all the time once you get a hang of it.

Shan2nu
Old 5th November 2009, 13:55   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
Go easy on the clutch in general and the downshifts particularly. It can lead to hefty repair bills. While slowing down, tap the brakes first then, shift down by depressing the clutch fully shifting one gear lower and gently releasing the clutch while adjusting engine speed to match the speed of car.

Cheers,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
Try revv matching when you downshift. It'l take some practice but you'll want to do it all the time once you get a hang of it.

Shan2nu
Guys, I always used to change the gears when RPM is 2~2.5k(up) and downshift when RPM below this. So do you mean that I need to give gas as well at downshifting??

Thanks a lot to all of you for your valuable advices..
Old 22nd November 2009, 09:13   #11
BHPian

Down the line, first of all congrats on your buy. Secondly your problem seems to me as a driving related one. Since this is your first car and the fact that you've never driven a car before leads me to assume this. But to be sure that there is no problem with the car do one thing- go drive a TD vehicle or somebody else's Linea (someone whom you know I mean). If its the same then obviously its your driving, but if the downshifting is smoother than your car then get your car checked up.
Old 22nd November 2009, 10:06   #12
Senior - BHPian

You can ask the dealer to check it out if you can. Else ask a friend to give a try. I don't think you can get a answer online.
Enjoy!
Old 22nd November 2009, 11:08   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Guys, I always used to change the gears when RPM is 2~2.5k(up) and downshift when RPM below this. So do you mean that I need to give gas as well at downshifting??
Try down shifting at ~1500 RPM or less. If you are downshifting at say 2500 rpm, you are going to land at ~3500 rpm in lower gear. A quick release of clutch would result in some jerk.

About 2nd to 3dr shifting, key is not to force the shift. Do you really hold the gear and shift? If so, try shifting with an open palm.

Btw, which was your previous car? That would tell us a lot

Last edited by WhiteKnight : 22nd November 2009 at 11:10.
Old 22nd November 2009, 11:54   #14
BANNED

Quote:
Yes I am facing it since the beginning. No this is my first car and I had not driven any car before
I'm sure this is because of your clutch release timings. Take some time with patience and try releasing the clutch smoothly and slowly.
Old 22nd November 2009, 12:00   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, when you upshift, the engine speed reduces the moment you press the clutch, so there is no rev matching required.

But when you downshift, the engine speed in the lower gear will be higher as compared to the gear you've just shifting from. So its upto you to make sure that the engine revs are matched with the trans revs in order to have a quick and smooth downshift.

Watch how he revs the engine while downshifting.

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 22nd November 2009 at 12:03.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks