Team-BHP - 2002 Palio GTX - The Revival Thread
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   2002 Palio GTX - The Revival Thread (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/68689-2002-palio-gtx-revival-thread.html)

Hi All,

As many of you may know I scored a very nice silver Palio GTX - 2002, run about 65K kilometeres this past week. the car is extremely clean but like all old cars needs some TLC to get it back to near perfect condition.

2002 Palio GTX - The Revival Thread-03112009255-copy.jpg

I would like to use this thread to chronicle my experiences and also seek advice from GTX lovers out there.

I have already balanced and alligned the tyres.

So to start with after driving the car for a couple of days I have come across a few niggles that need to be addressed:
1) Speedometer does not work.
2) Engine on occassion stalls at idle
3) Car feels a little sluggish
4) Very Squeaky clutch pedal

I have made an appointment for Friday at Fortune Cars in Powai and they have recommended the following after a diagnostic and test.

1) Service the car - Change fluids / coolant / filters etc.
2) Engine Tune Up - I am not sure what all this entails but they said that they will clean the injectors and I will request them to decarb the engine as well (incase the tune up does not include this.)
3) Replace the speed sensor

The total estimate for the above will about 6K. Does this sound right? The Engine tuning is estimated to cost about Rs. 3,000.

In addition to the above, I will ask them to address the squeaky pedal noise. What should I tell them to do here? Greasing or something more? the clutch is not hard - It just sounds like Mickey and Minnie going to town if you know what I mean!

Once these mechanical issues are sorted here is my next set of things to take care of:
1) Service the Pioneer Headunit - Dreaded Error 11 message.
2) Get floormats as the original fiat ones have worn out quite a bit.
3) Exterior and Interior Detailing
4) Replace missing badges on the car.

From a logistics point of view I need to take care of the following:
1) Get Comprehensive Insurance (This is being taken care of by tomorrow.)
2) Get NOC from Pune so I can register in Mumbai (Anyone know any good RTO agents in Mumbai who can take care of this for me?)
3) Transfer the car, pay octroi and register the car in my name.
4) Find a good independent garage in Mumbai (Equivalent to a Pundit's in Delhi) so I can cut down on dealer labor rates and high charge on parts.

I think that is all for now. Any advice prior to Friday's service and answers to the other highlighted questions would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
V

Congrats on owning a car many of us only dream of.Get her back to shape and she will last you for years to come.

Welcome to the GTX club!

In addition to what I have mentioned in your acquisition thread. I have only this to add - Micky and Minnie should vanish after the general service.

Cheers,

-About the engine tuneup:

Ask them if decarbonizing is included. Else it is not worth 3000 rs. You are anyway paying 3000 for servicing which includes the oil change etc.

Also get the throttle body cleaned and the spark plugs checked and replaced if necessary.

-Replace missing badges on the car.

Kampala Motors in Opera House has Palio badges at cheap rates.

Good luck with the new car. Enjoy it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by genesis (Post 1566311)
-About the engine tuneup:

Ask them if decarbonizing is included. Else it is not worth 3000 rs. You are anyway paying 3000 for servicing which includes the oil change etc.

Also get the throttle body cleaned and the spark plugs checked and replaced if necessary.

+1 to that. I pay Rs 400-500 for normal engine tuning, and if getting injectors and throttle body cleaned also, the total comes to around Rs 1200. This is at a reputed garage with a trusted mechanic. I have never got decarbonising done, so cannot comment on the cost.

Also, PM me if you are willing to come to town side for a good garage/mechanic.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vcash (Post 1566144)
Hi All,

As many of you may know I scored a very nice silver Palio GTX - 2002, run about 65K kilometeres this past week. the car is extremely clean but like all old cars needs some TLC to get it back to near perfect condition.

Attachment 222073

I would like to use this thread to chronicle my experiences and also seek advice from GTX lovers out there.

I have already balanced and alligned the tyres.

So to start with after driving the car for a couple of days I have come across a few niggles that need to be addressed:
1) Speedometer does not work.
2) Engine on occassion stalls at idle
3) Car feels a little sluggish
4) Very Squeaky clutch pedal

I have made an appointment for Friday at Fortune Cars in Powai and they have recommended the following after a diagnostic and test.

1) Service the car - Change fluids / coolant / filters etc.
2) Engine Tune Up - I am not sure what all this entails but they said that they will clean the injectors and I will request them to decarb the engine as well (incase the tune up does not include this.)
3) Replace the speed sensor

The total estimate for the above will about 6K. Does this sound right? The Engine tuning is estimated to cost about Rs. 3,000.

In addition to the above, I will ask them to address the squeaky pedal noise. What should I tell them to do here? Greasing or something more? the clutch is not hard - It just sounds like Mickey and Minnie going to town if you know what I mean!

Once these mechanical issues are sorted here is my next set of things to take care of:
1) Service the Pioneer Headunit - Dreaded Error 11 message.
2) Get floormats as the original fiat ones have worn out quite a bit.
3) Exterior and Interior Detailing
4) Replace missing badges on the car.

From a logistics point of view I need to take care of the following:
1) Get Comprehensive Insurance (This is being taken care of by tomorrow.)
2) Get NOC from Pune so I can register in Mumbai (Anyone know any good RTO agents in Mumbai who can take care of this for me?)
3) Transfer the car, pay octroi and register the car in my name.
4) Find a good independent garage in Mumbai (Equivalent to a Pundit's in Delhi) so I can cut down on dealer labor rates and high charge on parts.

I think that is all for now. Any advice prior to Friday's service and answers to the other highlighted questions would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
V

Hey Vcash,

Congrats on the new purchase. The Palio GTX is truly a dream to own. As a matter of fact, a friend of mine is in the process of purchasing one too and we should close the deal this week.

With regards to the RTO agent, there is a very reputed RTO agent at Khar West in Mumbai just in the lane of Hotel Ramee. It is called Shetty Associates and his number is 26487593 / 26051086. Hope this helps.

Great to see that you have a new thread for your GTX.

As I have mentioned in your previous thread most of peel offs should be rectified by detailing. Clear coat peel is a culprit on many fiat cars, at least the Palio.

Speedo, well..

Just check your air intake hose, have seen many a GTX with cracked hoses.

Welcome to the 16V 100 club and good to see you opening a new thread!Another pre-owned GTX thread.

Most of the niggles and issues you mentioned like Engine stalling at idle, sluggishness, squeaky clutch pedal will be taken care of during servicing.

Per my experience with GTX so far, 6k for the ordeal sounds decent. Would like to hear an update after your servicing for there after the GTX shows its true colours.

I had similar observations when I had narrowed down on one but after servicing, it was a totally different machine. I hope all goes well upto your expectations.

While you're at it, it would do good to get the engine checked for cylinder compression pressure. This will give you a good idea of the engine's condition.

Shan2nu

Quote:

Originally Posted by beejay (Post 1566583)
Just check your air intake hose, have seen many a GTX with cracked hoses.

The air intake hose has been replaced around 6 months ago so no cracks.

Thanks for all the great advice. I will get back to you on the results post service.

Quote:

Get NOC from Pune so I can register in Mumbai (Anyone know any good RTO agents in Mumbai who can take care of this for me?)
Many years ago, I had done it through WIAA. ( Transferring from Mumbai to Pune)You need to become a member at a nominal fee. And while you are getting it done, the WIAA receipts serve as valid papers. They take longer than agents, but how does it matter.

Hello Everyone,
I just called to reconfirm my appointment and to discuss what work they would do tomorrow and I got the following estimate from Fortune:
1) General Service: Rs. 2100 (Rs. 750 for labor + 1350 for consumables)
2) Engine Tune Up which includes cleaning the sensors, injectors, throttle body cleaning: Rs. 3,500
3) Speed Sensor Replacement: Rs. 910 (But currently out of stock)

As most of you advised to get the engine decarbonized, I asked for this service but Fortune refuses to do this process as they say it is not good for the car?!

Intrigued, I called up Concorde Motors in Worli and spoke to their service advisor and here are his inputs:
1) General service: Rs. 5000 (Rs. 1800 for Labor and Rs. 3200 for consumables)
2) No Engine tuning but Engine Decarb available: Rs. 1500
3) They will check whether speed sensor needs replacement only after their own inspection.

So now I am in a conundrum, what work should I get done and where should I get this done? Ideally, I would have like to do the service at Fortune, the engine decarb at Concorde and the tuning and cleaning of the injector, spark plugs and throttle body at an independent garage where it would be much cheaper.

But since that Teerth yatra will take me days, what should I do?!

Thanks,
V

Why engine decarb , why not go for engine flush ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by black12rr (Post 1567194)
Why engine decarb , why not go for engine flush ?

What is this now?! More stuff that adds to the confusion :)

Does this 'tune up " include ECM diagnostic test? how come they zeroed on the speed sensor error?
Check the clutch master cylinder for leaks. My sport had this squeaking, which developed to a leaking cylinder.

Congrats on ur "100 16V". Do put this decal on her cheeks