Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2006, 01:59   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v.tec
well i was searching for brake oil change..but could find this the closest topic..
anyway..i wanted to know when should one get the brake oil changed/filled? ive no clue about what it is though..but yeah in a new car i heard that one should get the brake oil changed at 5k or 10k? aint sure about that either ..please help
hey i was asking about this ...the rest are one year old posts lol
Old 3rd May 2006, 02:02   #17
Senior - BHPian

As far as i know, the oil does not need to be changed but only topped up. But just for my own satisfaction, i'd probably get the brake system flushed and refilled after certain time intervals.
Old 3rd May 2006, 09:38   #18
Team-BHP Support

Dust, dirt, air and moisture.

Your brake fluid's worst enemies.
(Might i take this opportune moment to add that its brake fluild and not brake oil, just FYI)

So as i was saying, over time, any/all of the above get into your fluid, and its best to bleed out the system and put in some new brake fluid, rather than just topping up all the time.

cya
R
Old 3rd May 2006, 10:46   #19
Team-BHP Support

A moderately hard jab on the brakes should provide adequate braking force. If you need to stand on the brakes for even minor emergency braking, its time to check out your brake system.
Most pads gon bad give a screechy noise, but most brake faliures are not due to pads. Pads go gradually and you notice you need to apply more and more force.
Its the master cylinder which is the main culprit. Most cars have master cylinders which have rubber seals. Now rubber is a material which can get damaged with heat, water etc., etc., So you spring a leak. Many people dont give heed to that red brake warning light which doubles up as a hand brake light too. The end result. You slam the brakes and nothing happens.
In many cars the brake system warning light is not very reliable, so the moment you feel your pedal getting "spongy" go for a check. It could be a simple case of air in the system or a more serious problem
Old 3rd May 2006, 12:37   #20
BHPian

Should I replace brake pads?

Hi guys,

I'm slightly confused. I drive a WagonR and have done more than 85K on it. Have not changed the brake pads or the clutch pads as well. The maruti dealers (atleast a couple in Blr) have told me that the brake pads will last another 10K on the odometer.

Now I have the following questions:

1. There is no squealing, brake fell being soft etc etc. Should i still replace the pads.
2. What does Maruti recommends for brake pad replacement period.

What do you guys think?

Regards,

lsjey
Old 3rd May 2006, 12:48   #21
BHPian

Ive changed the brake pads thrice on my ohc,it has clocked 105000kms.A pairs costs Rs.3600(including labor) at honda & 2600 at khan market.

I would advice everyone to always put in genuine brake pads.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks