Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2009, 22:51   #31
VEA
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narry View Post
hi
first a person or a company who buy s class benz any were in the world yes i say any were in the world does think of economy or something like this because this s class is for the higher economic or higher end of the market
now if u ask what would u choose a petrol v8
or new generation deisel v8
my answer would 100 percent deisel
why?
because the kind of pickup and a torque u get in new generation diesel engine a petrol cannot match also for example u say 0 to 100
in 10 seconds and 0 to 100 in 12 secounds
for a car which use in road 0 to 100 1 or 3 secound does not matter because u are going to use car in a road not for racing
but if i had deisel car it has more torque
so less gear changes better pick up
increase driving pleasure
also a deisel give better fuel economy than petrol imagine u have v8 s class with approx 80 liter fuel tank full tank can give u may be 700 km range but same car
in deisel with 80 liter fuel tank can give 1100km range so u donot have go offten to fuel station offen this what makes new diesel better in my opinon but is last more about personal taste
narry
Im sorry, i must have specifically mentioned economic sense for the manufacturer here.

Last edited by VEA : 21st November 2009 at 22:53.
Old 13th September 2012, 17:03   #32
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Why are V8 diesels a rare breed?

So, the Cayenne is soon to come with a V8 diesel. 850 Nm of torque and 0 - 100 in 5.7 seconds! Not bad for a large, heavy SUV.

More Information
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2012, 18:39   #33
BHPian

MOre than V8s are probably used only in Marine, Heavy earth overs, static generators and Tanks. Like the humungous 48 Ltr v12 MTU unit that powers the Arjun MBT.

Interesting to see how far diesels have come that they are beating petrol driven units in speed and reliability.
Old 17th October 2012, 13:37   #34
BHPian

I guess the big TDi V8s are being reserved for very specific applications. Besides, an inline 6 diesel motor has an inherent balanced feel to it. Torque is a problem as these V8s can produce gobs of it at ridiculously low rpms necessitating the need for advanced and intelligent gearboxes to avoid mechanical failures. Also, these are sophisticated motors expensive hardware bolted on them resulting in higher development and production costs. Therfore it all ads up to one conclusion - V8 diesels are the cream of the crop!
Old 17th October 2012, 14:53   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
So, the Cayenne is soon to come with a V8 diesel. 850 Nm of torque and 0 - 100 in 5.7 seconds! Not bad for a large, heavy SUV.

More Information
And BMW has taken a different path with peformance Diesels. Instead of increasing cubic capacity or cylinders they have added a triple turbo to extract 740nm of torque from the existing 3000cc V6 Diesel.

Under the hood of X6 M550d this engine makes this car faster than even Audi Q7 V12. Going by the reviews from Europe, the turbos' are setup brilliantly without any signs of lag anywhere in the rev range, top end is told to be as potent as the Petrols.

Last edited by .anshuman : 18th October 2012 at 17:32. Reason: Had posted twin turbo instead of triple turbo. fixed now.
.anshuman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2015, 11:20   #36
GTO
Team-BHP Support

So, the VW Touareg (aka Porsche Cayenne in more subtle clothes) was sold with a V10 diesel at one time. The V10 variant went through a lot of ups & downs, which sort of provide answers to why we don't see that many V8 / V10 diesels.

1. It was heavy!! The Touareg V10 weighed 300+ kilos more than the V6.

2. Because of the additional weight, it was front-heavy & a poor handler.

3. The kind of power that the VW V10 made (300 BHP, 750 Nm of torque) is 'nearly' possible with V6 diesels.

4. The V10 diesel was a fuel guzzler.

5. It was pulled off the USA market twice because it couldn't meet newer emission norms.

6. The VW V10 was a maintenance nightmare.

Here's a video of the V10 towing a plane!
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2015, 14:06   #37
BHPian

Hello,

One reason that i dont think has been discussed here is the actually motivation for increasing the number of cylinders.

The most basic reason for the increase in the number cylinders was to decrease the inertia in the engine so that it would be able to rev higher. That is, the mass was more distributed (more cylinders) and hence there was less moment (lesser concentration of mass).

And the main motivation for the above is - higher the rpm, higher the power (rate at which work is done).

But in a diesel, the speed of the engine is anyway limited. And the construction is more sturdy and heavy. There is no need to increase the number of cylinders. Other factors can be changed if more power or torque is needed.

That is the reason even the volvo buses come with v6 engines. As the engine speed requirement is low, there is no need for more number of cylinders. Unless of course there is a need for MUCH more power.
rangakishen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2015, 20:09   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ Add to it the weight & balancing factor, which I guess for fast cars is and issue.
Old 27th December 2022, 12:48   #39
BHPian

This is quite a gem of a post from some 13 years ago.
Although I wish to see more v8 diesels but I am content with technological advancements that today, a RR Sport makes an insane 350HP and 700Nm with a v6 diesel. GLS 400d and RR Defender D300 comes second and third with 326HP-700Nm and 300HP-650Nm v6es, respectively.

Unsure if X7M50d still sells. Otherwise a quad turbo v6 making close to 400HP?

Wishful thinking to see Bmw 540d on our shores.

Last edited by Tutenkhamen : 27th December 2022 at 13:13.
Old 30th December 2022, 08:56   #40
BHPian

V8 Diesels are aplenty in the USA, mostly used on pickup trucks Chevrolet Duramax Diesel V8, Ford Power stroke V8 diesel, Dodge uses the Cummins 6.7 V8

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks