Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2009, 18:13   #1
BHPian

Engine Smooth after switching off and on again

Hi,

I drive a Verna. Lately I have noticed that once my car is warmed up (Needle in ambient range) and if I switch off the engine following the mandatory idling for a minute and switch on again I see that my engine is lot more smoother and has better response. This I do when I am waiting at a signal. Is this normal? or is there something wrong with my oil pump??

Help1
Old 20th November 2009, 18:56   #2
Senior - BHPian

Since the engine is smoother and having better response, why do you think there is an issue?

Might be there, since the vehicle is in its optimum running parameters, the change. But, have never heard this one before.

DWind, simple advice: if it ain't broken, don't fix it.

Enjoy your ride.
Old 20th November 2009, 19:05   #3
Senior - BHPian

have the same kind of symptoms in my zen and i had it checked completely but nothing came out
so don't worry
Old 20th November 2009, 20:46   #4
lsp
BHPian

I had a similar kind of issue in my 2001 Hyundai Santro DX. Sometimes the engine used to behave abnormally - not the usual smooth, refined but rather coarse and noisier.

The problem couldnt be replicated as there was no fixed pattern or condition when it was occuring. Sometimes it happened on cold starts and sometimes after continuous running (>50 kms). Could never replicate and show to the mechanic.

What I used to do was switch off the engine, wait for one minute and start again. It used to be its normal behaved self. Never heard of a similar problem with any friend. I just attributed it to the age of the car.
Old 21st November 2009, 14:41   #5
BHPian

It may be bcoz in MPFI engines the choke gets activated automatically and shuts off after sometime when the engine gets warmed up. So in first go the car may have warmed up but the choke may have not switched off by then. So when u switch it off and restart it the engine senses no need for stiching on the choke so this time you may feel the engine to be smooth.
I have been feeling the same issue with my zen . any comments on my understanding are welcome.
Old 23rd November 2009, 22:05   #6
BHPian

I have felt the engine in my Getz 1.3 becoming smoother when the petrol in the tank is less than half the mark, compared to when it is full. I usually fill it with shell regular. I used to feel the same even in the Santro which I used to drive earlier. Wondering why is it like this.
Old 21st December 2009, 18:54   #7

Engine smoothness achieved before 1st oil change - Vista TDi

Maybe a bit out of place but here is my observation about my new (~9700kms as of today) Indica Vista TDi:
The engine is running fine till now but since ~ 9300odo reading, I am observing that the engine has gone a little smoother than earlier. All other parameters remain the same: diesel bunk, RPMs on which gears are shifted up- or down-wards, average time and weather condition till the engine reaches the 2 divisions on the temperature panel, kmpl I am getting, traffic conditions under which car is driven....all these matters. In the last tankful, I dosed 28.89liters of diesel but 30ml of System D. This was the only difference, but I am sure this difference will not result into the kind of smoothness the engine is exhibiting.

Over the weekend, I checked all liquid levels but all were as usual. I also checked (and also had it checked) the 'quality of engine oil' but no one felt any problems with that and I also found it to be comparable with a similar car (vista tdi who had clocked ~ 8000kms).

So I also am clueless about this behavior and am making myself believe that the so called running-in is coming to an end :-) Anyways I have to get the car serviced in coming 2 weeks, lets us see that time.

A minor observation: after my 2nd free servicing (@ 5000KMs) the turbo has gone a bit sober when it starts; meaning the turbo kick I used to experience earlier is absent. In all there is no difference in pickup and etc, the turbo also is working well (I hear the faint turbo whine by driving the car between 2000 and 2500rpm in the 3rd gear along side of a tall wall) but it's kind of strange, any similar observations?

Regards,
Suhas

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks