Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2009, 17:54   #1
BHPian

Issue with Santro Zip Plus

Hi All,
I have a santro , which clocked 65000km till date , now it stated behaving strangely. There are some unnecessary sound can be heard in the cabin. Like the humming should of speakers which is coming from the engine bay. When I reported this issue their statement it may possible from power steering pump , clutch plate and AC compressor.
They have thoroughly checked ( which they claim)all these and even replaced the bearing of the AC compressor along with pulley. But no difference the noise reduced for some days, but reappeared again, I think they have put lubricants in all these areas, should reduced the noise for a short while.
Please let me know what could be cause, where in NCR the service available for SANTRO.
Thanks
SRI
Old 28th November 2009, 18:39   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svpatra View Post
Hi All,
I have a santro , which clocked 65000km till date , now it stated behaving strangely. There are some unnecessary sound can be heard in the cabin. Like the humming should of speakers which is coming from the engine bay. When I reported this issue their statement it may possible from power steering pump , clutch plate and AC compressor.
They have thoroughly checked ( which they claim)all these and even replaced the bearing of the AC compressor along with pulley. But no difference the noise reduced for some days, but reappeared again, I think they have put lubricants in all these areas, should reduced the noise for a short while.
Please let me know what could be cause, where in NCR the service available for SANTRO.
Thanks
SRI
Its definitely one of the bearings, start with the front wheel bearings, compressor bearing is simple to detect, use with and without the AC "ON" .

I guess Hyundai motor plaza in Okhla is the Company owned service centre and one of the best, do make your booking in advance though.
Old 29th November 2009, 20:01   #3
BHPian

it the sound is heard with AC off, Dadu is right, it can be front wheel bearings.
65k is good reason for it to become replaceable.
Old 30th November 2009, 22:53   #4
BHPian

To diagnose a damaged front wheel bearing, drive the car at a fair speed on a deserted road & turn the steering wheel to one side & then to the other. If the intensity of the humming noise varies greatly, it is probably a damaged front wheel bearing.
Wheel bearing noise will naturally become audible only when the car is moving. On the other hand, a power steering pump bearing noise will become audible if you press the accelerator slightly with the engine on & the car in neutral gear & stationary. To confirm that it is indeed a power steering pump noise, you will have to ask your mechanic to remove the power steering pump belt & perform this test again. If there is no noise this time, it is probably a defective power steering pump. Sometimes, keeping the power steering pump belt a little loose, can get rid of this noise.

Last edited by nura : 30th November 2009 at 22:55.
Old 10th December 2009, 15:59   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nura View Post
To diagnose a damaged front wheel bearing, drive the car at a fair speed on a deserted road & turn the steering wheel to one side & then to the other. If the intensity of the humming noise varies greatly, it is probably a damaged front wheel bearing.

it’s not the wheel bearing I checked this as per your methodology

Quote:
Wheel bearing noise will naturally become audible only when the car is moving. On the other hand, a power steering pump bearing noise will become audible if you press the accelerator slightly with the engine on & the car in neutral gear & stationary. To confirm that it is indeed a power steering pump noise, you will have to ask your mechanic to remove the power steering pump belt & perform this test again. If there is no noise this time, it is probably a defective power steering pump. Sometimes, keeping the power steering pump belt a little loose, can get rid of this noise.
I have to check the power steering as per your instructions. But what Hyundai quoted me to change the bearing(2 bearing one big and small) of alternator as 4000 and bearing of power steering compressor 3000 , I am supersized are the bearing cost that much …
Thanks Nura
Old 10th December 2009, 16:21   #6
BHPian

I have owned a Santro ZipPlus for 7 years now. First 6 years I have zero issues. Since 1 year I am seeing lot of issues. Most of the issues have been fixed by HASS. But 1 issue they have not been able to fix even after 2-3 visits to HASS. I sometime get a screeching sound when I turn on the AC. This happens only in the first few minutes after I start the vehicle. HASS lubricated the AC belt but the problem re-occurred within 2 days. Has anyone faced similar issue and is there any solution?
Old 10th December 2009, 16:37   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by achinthg View Post
I have owned a Santro ZipPlus for 7 years now. First 6 years I have zero issues. Since 1 year I am seeing lot of issues. Most of the issues have been fixed by HASS. But 1 issue they have not been able to fix even after 2-3 visits to HASS. I sometime get a screeching sound when I turn on the AC. This happens only in the first few minutes after I start the vehicle. HASS lubricated the AC belt but the problem re-occurred within 2 days. Has anyone faced similar issue and is there any solution?
Its just your fan belt or compressor belt making noise.. Must be a bit tight, just needs small adjustments, though it may take couple of iterations..
Old 10th December 2009, 17:00   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by svpatra View Post
Hi All,
Thanks
SRI
If the noise is heard when the car is stationary it definetly cannot be the wheel bearings.

Can you identify if the noise is coming from any part of the engine?

Is the noise always present or inconsistent?

Does the noise change with acceleration / turn of the steering / engine warm up etc?
Old 11th December 2009, 11:43   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leop View Post
If the noise is heard when the car is stationary it definetly cannot be the wheel bearings.

Can you identify if the noise is coming from any part of the engine?

Is the noise always present or inconsistent?

Does the noise change with acceleration / turn of the steering / engine warm up etc?

The sound is consistency stays. But the sound is minimal when the car is in ignition on & without any motion condition, the sound increase when I increase the acceleration. The sound increase up to speed 60 when it goes beyond 65/70 its slightly reduces by 30 %.
When the capital Hyundai people inspected taking help of a stethoscope they informed that the sound is coming from alternator and power steering pump.
Initially they thought the sound issue coming from timing belt and other belts , which I changed at the cost of 4000 including labor. Again they want to spend another 7000 on alternator and power steering pump, which I surely doubted so I did not make the change.
thanks Nura for all your help .The root cause of these sound can not be determined , experts please help
Regards
Sri
Old 11th December 2009, 12:18   #10
BHPian

These descriptions leads to be the cause of the fan belt. Please check whether the mechanic have replaced it with a genuine spare. please do investigate on the belt part. I doubt it. Humming sounds are usually from the belt. If there is wheel bearing issu. you will hear a kind of ticking sound while taking turns.
Old 11th December 2009, 14:59   #11

Remove the belt(s) running the power steering and alternator and check for the sound.
The engine will continue running on battery while the alternator is disconnected but will drain out in about half an hour so reconnect the belts when you are done.
Old 24th September 2010, 14:55   #12
Senior - BHPian

I have the same problem occuring in a 10 year old Santro (has run may be 27K so far, wife doesn't drive long distances). The droning (low, just louder than road noise) seems to be speed dependent. The sound is more like the sound of surf than a hum or drone. It is noticeable enough and is quite disturbing since it is obviously a sound one does not hear normally.

Suspecting front wheel bearings (the drone seems to come from the front), I found that the wheel nuts on the front wheels were quite hot to the touch, whereas those of the rear wheels were not.

Is my observation / inference correct, or could the problem be something else?
Old 24th September 2010, 15:44   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

@DerAlte: Jack up the car and rotate the front wheels, if they do not move freely and you observe some friction it can be the front wheel bearings.
Old 18th May 2011, 16:03   #14

Re: Issue with Santro Zip Plus

I have a santro LE 2002 Manual steering. Off late the steering feels very hard. Particularly when reversing, steering the car is a work-out. does anyone else have had similar problem ? Any suggestions on this ?
Old 19th December 2014, 00:17   #15
BHPian

Re: Issue with Santro Zip Plus

I own a 2001 Santro Zip Drive. I had a strange problem with my AC which was noticed on a 40KMS short drive from Secunderabad to Ibrahimpatnam (city outskirts). Let me explain you in detail.

1. Started from home to Ibrahimpatnam, as usual I didn't switch the AC on in city.

2. After 10 KMS, reached highway and switched on A/c, I could feel the compressor getting ON and the increase in the engine RPM.

3. After few KMS, I had to slow down and shift the gear and in the process when depressed the clutch I could hear the humming noise from engine as if I have pushed the throttle hard, where in my foot was actually away from gas pedal.

4. I had sensed it couple of times and in order to check and confirm, I had depressed the clutch during the running and I could feel the same level of increase in the RPM. But the problem was not consistent sometimes it was normal and sometimes it was abnormal.

5. While returning, I had the same issue and this time when I could feel the increase in the RPM, I had removed my foot from the gas pedal and car was running smoothly as if I was pressing the pedal. After few minutes the RPM comes down and I had to push the gas pedal.

6. Upon few observations, I started to control the speed by using the AC switch, instead of pushing the gas pedal I switched on the AC and to slow down I switched off AC, felt amazing with the trick . But had fear of spoiling the car and hence switched off the AC and covered the remaining distance on non AC.

Can anyone explain what the issue was? Is it something wrong with my ECU?
Need help ?????

Mod Note: Post Edited. Smiley usage is restricted to two per post on Team-BHP. Please do NOT use more than 2 smileys in a post.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 19th December 2014 at 14:46.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks