Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2009, 12:33   #1
BHPian

Problem with Ford Ikon- Engine Fan

Hi... I m new to this forum.I own second hand Ford Ikon Flair which has done 80k odd kms. Whenever i start driving ,after 4-5 kms the fans starts with its maximum speed.I Have replaced the choked radiator as mechanic said the water circulation is not proper and engine is getting heated. Even after replacing the radiator the problem persists ,now he says there is a problem with gas kit and needs to be repaired.

I need advice on whether I should do the repair work for gas kit ?
Is it advisable to drive the car with such problem?
Old 4th December 2009, 00:28   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_3306 View Post
Hi... I m new to this forum.I own second hand Ford Ikon Flair which has done 80k odd kms. Whenever i start driving ,after 4-5 kms the fans starts with its maximum speed.I Have replaced the choked radiator as mechanic said the water circulation is not proper and engine is getting heated. Even after replacing the radiator the problem persists ,now he says there is a problem with gas kit and needs to be repaired.

Hi

Well it could be a temp sensor problem and it may also be a fan problem.Do take it to a *** and get it checked out.No it is not at all adviced to drive the car with such a problem.
Old 4th December 2009, 08:11   #3
BHPian

@amit, I had a similar issue last year in my 1.6 and I had to replace a resistor and it costed me ~3K IIRC. Some of Ford's parts are crazy costly.
mkc15 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2009, 12:37   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Buddy, he must be refering to Head gasket- not gas kit. Since his first diagnosis turned out to be wrong, I won't be enthusiatic to follow this advise.

Check for the following that could indicate blown head gasket
1) White smoke
2) Oil in Coolant
Old 4th December 2009, 13:00   #5
BHPian

Quote:
. Whenever i start driving ,after 4-5 kms the fans starts with its maximum speed.I Have replaced the choked radiator as mechanic said the water circulation is not proper and engine is getting heated. Even after replacing the radiator the problem persists ,now he says there is a problem with gas kit and needs to be repaired.

Looks like there is some coolant leakage somewhere, Top up your coolant & check for leaks, need not do anything else.
Old 5th December 2009, 19:04   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkc15 View Post
@amit, I had a similar issue last year in my 1.6 and I had to replace a resistor and it costed me ~3K IIRC. Some of Ford's parts are crazy costly.
@mkc15, yeah,they are very costly.I already spent 3k bucks on replacing radiator.
Old 5th December 2009, 19:09   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Rocam View Post
Looks like there is some coolant leakage somewhere, Top up your coolant & check for leaks, need not do anything else.
@ Ford Rocam, Thanks for the advice.But the problem is I was not using any coolant since radiator was chocked and needs to be replaced. Though the leakage is stopped the problem seems to continue.Just now I visited the mechanic, he brought to my notice that there is no water in the radiator and he told me that head-gasket is the only part causing this.
Old 7th March 2022, 18:59   #8
BHPian

Re: Problem with Ford Ikon- Engine Fan

I know I am bumping an old thread

but today I found out that the High speed setting for the cooling fan is running slow. My Mechanic is diagnosing the problem as we speak.

He ruled out a Thermostat/Housing issue. So now after realizing the Fan running slow he thinks its the Relay/Resistor or the Actual fan motor too.

For reference, here's how high the temp guage goes in the attachment. Weirdly enough, it does this itermittently, sometimes it works well other times it overheats and there's no sign of coolant boiling and so on. Defintely not a blown head gasket because there are no signs of it (I.e White/Blue smoke, oil mixing with coolant etc)

Let me update here once I get the car back.
Attached Thumbnails
Problem with Ford Ikon- Engine Fan-20220301_205532.jpg  

Most Viewed