Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2009, 17:27   #1
BHPian

Information regarding 20k servicing

Hi,

my wagonr has just completed 2 yrs and has covered 20k distance.
now the mass is telling that servicing will cost 5k which includes engine oil change, brake oil and maybe air filter change , gear oil(not sure about this). i think it shouldnt cost more that 2k for above stuff.

can anyone let me know exactly what all has to be done?

also the expected cost for this.
thanks in advance.

(in case this is duplicate post, my apologies and please point me to the respective thread)
Old 3rd December 2009, 19:38   #2
BHPian

Usually the 20k service is a big one at Maruti; I know I'm comparing a bigger car and higher costs when I talk about my SX4, but the costs should increase proportionally for your car as well. My normal service bill is ~2.5k, but the 20k service went up to ~7k. Considering this price, 5k shouldn't be too high.

Then again, you need to look closely at the services they are recommending; quite often, the A.S.S. will ask you to get your engine decarbonized, or say that wheel balancing and alignment are essential. My sense is that some of these are actually unnecessary at just 20k (gurus, please feel free to add/ modify). If you strip those out, you might be able to reduce the cost to ~3-4k.

Keep us posted on how it went, and good luck!
Old 3rd December 2009, 23:07   #3
BHPian

i do travel to pune bangalore frequently and so i regularly get most of these things done just before the travel. (like wheel balancing alignment, oil topups).

i would like to know if there is something to be done with gear assembly like gear-oil change.
as with all, i do know of engine oil change, brake oil , air filter . but the engine decarbonization and gear oil is totally unheard for me :(
Old 4th December 2009, 06:45   #4
BHPian

Hi,

I just finished my first paid service (2yrs, 20k kms).
Service adviser did "advice" me to change all the oils (gear, brake, engine) and drain and refill the coolant as well.

Estimate given was 5k. I asked him not to change all these things since the car had run just 15k kms.

Regular service costed me 2.8k. This included wheel rotation and wheel balancing and engine oil change.

Wheel rotation and balancing is something that costs 350-450/- and should be done every 5k kms or so.

Regards,
Old 4th December 2009, 15:53   #5
BHPian

I noticed almost a year later that mass never added any coolant in my car !

so thats why i am doubtfull about their word.
Old 4th December 2009, 17:02   #6
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetans View Post
i would like to know if there is something to be done with gear assembly like gear-oil change. the engine decarbonization and gear oil is totally unheard for me
Chetan,

To start off, the 20k kms service costs are usually high. My Alto recently completed its 20k kms service and the overall bill was ~Rs. 4,000. To address your queries about the various fluid changes, it is imperative that you change them as specified.

Fluids like brake oil, engine oil, coolant and gear oil tend to loose their properties with time and deteriorate. So even if your Wagon R had covered say 6,000 kms in this span of two years you would have had to replace the gear oil, brake oil and coolant. If you don't replace them, then you could possibly see problems setting in at later.

To specifically address your query about the gear oil, yes, it has to be changed every 2 years/20,000 kms which ever is earlier. I changed the same in my Alto in Sept this year though the car was only 15 months old since it has covered the 20,000 kms mark.

As for the engine decarb, it is not necessary at the 20k mark. You can wait until the 40k service. What you can get done is a throttle body cleaning. Make sure they dismantle the throttle body and clean it manually and not just spray the cleaner with the throttle body attached to the engine. My Alto a Euro III model and I was amazed at the amount of carbon buildup in the throttle body assembly.

Also in addition to the fluids mentioned above, they will also replace the spark plugs, so as shiraz has mentioned I think the estimate of Rs. 5,000 that you are getting is fair for a Wagon R.

You can take a look at the LTO of my Alto if you require any detailed info about this things that need to be attended to at the 20k service mark. If you still have any further queries, do feel free to PM me.

Regards,
gpa

Last edited by gpa : 4th December 2009 at 17:04.
Old 4th December 2009, 17:04   #7
BHPian

Quote:
i do travel to pune bangalore frequently and so i regularly get most of these things done just before the travel. (like wheel balancing alignment, oil topups).

i would like to know if there is something to be done with gear assembly like gear-oil change.
as with all, i do know of engine oil change, brake oil , air filter . but the engine decarbonization and gear oil is totally unheard for me :(
Well the easiest option is to look up your owners manual and see what needs to be done at 20K service. IMHO - Gear Oil is changed every 20K KMS.
Old 4th December 2009, 20:13   #8
BHPian

Thanks for the info !
Old 10th December 2009, 13:33   #9
BHPian

Hi,

I got my 20K service for my WanonR from Kerala. In Bangalore, the cost is close to 5K and u can get the same service done in Kerala (from mass itself) for 3k. My petrol cost would be close to 2.5K, but that is okey for me, since my dad & mom are in Kerala.

And, yes....u have to change ur oils, since they loose the properties as gpa said above.

I would recommend you to change your wiper blades to a Bosh, at this time.
Old 10th December 2009, 23:06   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

my wagonr has just completed 2 yrs and has covered 20k distance.
now the mass is telling that servicing will cost 5k which includes engine oil change, brake oil and maybe air filter change , gear oil(not sure about this). i think it shouldnt cost more that 2k for above stuff.

can anyone let me know exactly what all has to be done?

also the expected cost for this.
thanks in advance.

(in case this is duplicate post, my apologies and please point me to the respective thread)
Engine oil and oil filter should be changed at 5000km (or whatever interval is specified in the service booklet). Air filter should be replaced whenever it becomes dirty. Usually done at 10000km, but to be on the more cautious side you could have it done along with the 5000km service.

Regarding brake and gear oil, I smell a rat. For my M800 MPFI the brake and gear oil change interval was 80000kms. Even though yours is a WagonR, I doubt if the interval would come down to 20000kms. Please double-check with the service manual or another service centre.

FYI I owned a second hand Maruti 800 MPFI (bought from TrueValue). It had covered ~32000kms when I bought it and I clocked ~82000 on it, addition of approximately 50000kms. I never changed the brake oil and the gear oil, apart from a top up to the brake oil twice and to the gear oil once. No complaints from the brakes or transmissions.

Last edited by honeybee : 10th December 2009 at 23:11.

Most Viewed