Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2009, 13:26   #1
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)
Santro mileage dropped to 7 KMPL, why?

Our 2006 santro xing has now covered about 65,900 kms and the car gets regularly serviced every 5K kms from Hyundai workshops only. The car is running exactly smooth and fine as I expect it to be, but in my last tankful method, the car's mileage has dropped to just 7 kmpl, as it used to give me 16-18 kmpl regularly, on Indian Oil 87 octane which I fill from the same petrol pump near my house.
I checked the fuel lines everything seemed OK and the car is behaving in the same way as it should.
What could be the reason for the sudden drastic drop in milage? Could it be adulterated fuel? Or something else?
The engine was decarbonised at 60,000 kms and last service at 65100 kms was recently performed at MGF Hyundai, to my satisfaction.
Old 5th December 2009, 13:28   #2
Senior - BHPian

Did all those accidents cause any problem that hasn't been fixed? Anyway, I'd wait for a bit longer and fill up at a couple of different places. If it still stays at seven, then that's a serious problem.
Old 5th December 2009, 13:29   #3
Senior - BHPian

Could be that your old fillup was adulterated or you were ripped off on quantity.
Old 5th December 2009, 13:41   #4
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

The accidents had nothing to do with the engine as most of the critical parts are original.
Till about just 14 days before, I got an average of 17.3 kmpl, but last week when I filled the tank, the fuel gauge was showing full and in this fill up, the mileage dropped to 7. I still suspect fuel quality.
Old 5th December 2009, 13:58   #5
aZa
Senior - BHPian

Like immortal said, maybe you were ripped off on quantity. I've never got below 13 in my santro under any condition.
Old 5th December 2009, 20:08   #6
BHPian

Sid, a 2006 Santro could be the ERLX engine and for that I've never heard below 12-13KMPL. Fuel adulteration too doesn't cause such a drop in mileage.

I suggest you check the mileage again. If there's something else wrong you should feel that with the car.
Old 5th December 2009, 23:21   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Even if there is a technical fault, the mileage drop cannot be so huge. Please tank up from some other pump this time and check the mileage again.
Old 11th November 2013, 21:04   #8

Re: Santro mileage dropped to 7 KMPL, why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoKris View Post
Sid, a 2006 Santro could be the ERLX engine and for that I've never heard below 12-13KMPL. Fuel adulteration too doesn't cause such a drop in mileage.

I suggest you check the mileage again. If there's something else wrong you should feel that with the car.
How could I increase the mileage of my Santro Xing LPG 2009 from 9 kmpl to 14 kmpl, with AC......changed air filter but with no use, company says everything else is fine including plugs....now what can I do after driving 34k on this car....
Old 11th November 2013, 22:52   #9
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgvrao View Post
How could I increase the mileage of my Santro Xing LPG 2009 from 9 kmpl to 14 kmpl, with AC......changed air filter but with no use, company says everything else is fine including plugs....now what can I do after driving 34k on this car....
You need the efficiency of the petrol or of LPG?

For the petrol one try fuelling from a different pump; drive sedately and don't idle the car for long (like traffic signals). Use the AC sensibly and are the spark pug n good condition? Good that the air filter is changed. Can you find out whether the car is running rich mixture or lean mixture?!

Rich means more of fuel (lesser fuel efficiency)
Lean means more air and lesser fuel to burn so low power and sluggishness.

Anurag.
Old 11th November 2013, 23:36   #10
Senior - BHPian

Is the hand brake dragging? Ifeen which case you may feel the drop in power. Check the fuel lines for leakages.
Lastly, is there any chance of fuel pilferage in the area you park your car. It had happened to me in my M800.
Old 11th November 2013, 23:46   #11
Senior - BHPian

+ one to what rajeev_K said. Check if there is a brake drag.

To check that.

Drive for 5 to 10 kilometers. Stop the car, touch the wheel rims, the front 2 rims must be of the same temperature and the rear 2 ones must be of the same temperature. If any one of them is way hotter than the other on the same axle, that brake is dragging and needs to be opened up and free'ed.

Secondly, check the tyre pressure, is one of your rear tyres puntured as a slow leaking rear tyre is hard to detect than a front one when it comes from the driving perspective.
Old 13th November 2013, 19:14   #12
BHPian

Drop in mileage can be because of a slipping clutch also. Before suspecting other things be sure of quantity and quality of the fuel.
Old 13th November 2013, 20:37   #13
Senior - BHPian

Or it can be due to a choked air filter, happened to my K10 once. Here is the check list
. Check hand brake - the car should roll quite far if neutral is engaged at around 40km/h
. Check Air filter. Signs of a choked filter are starting problem and at times black smoke (due to rich mixture) from the exhaust
. Check clutch slippage - if you have to depress the clutch full before it engages it may be slipping or wrongly adjusted
. Lastly check if there is any petrol pilferage. I have seen a lot of parking attendants stealing petrol, especially if they know that you will not be comming for the next eight hours or more.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks