Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2009, 15:24   #1
BHPian

Petrol + Diesel = More mileage?

So,while returning back from Coimbatore I hired an auto to railway station from my home.

It was a old API Auto.The driver wanted to fill petrol and entered a fuel station.He said casually "Aruvathu rupaaiku podupaa;5 point diesel" which translates to "Fill for 60 rs including 5 point diesel".

My jaws dropped when I heard this,still kept quiet since I thought I might have heard it wrongly.But my doubt was quashed when the attendant after filling in petrol for Rs53,asked calmly "Ethna point diesel" meaning "how many points diesel" . The attendant didnt look as amused as me.

So to my utter disbelief,I saw diesel for Rs7 going in as well.Finally managed to pick my jaws from the floor and asked the driver whats going on.He said with a big grin "It will give Mileage saar".He said he has been doing this since the day he got this API model auto long back.

Any comments?How is it possible?Was he fooled by someone or is there some logic which works for that auto alone.

Took this pic from web.This is the model I am talking about
Attached Thumbnails
Petrol + Diesel = More mileage?-10991457_65d9a8193f.jpg  

Old 14th December 2009, 15:31   #2
BHPian

well, i don't know much about this.

but, adding a bit of diesel might improve thermal characteristics.

on the other hand, it might pollute more also.

similarly the diesel autos that run in ludhiana are notorious for adding kerosene to diesel.

and the smoke coming out of them can suffocate whole of vatican to death.

and BTW, could you please add a question mark to the heading, to make it sound interrogatory rather than explanatory.

Last edited by pb10gagan : 14th December 2009 at 15:37.
Old 14th December 2009, 16:05   #3
BHPian

Just one question here, did you enquired if the driver was also the ownwer of that auto, I have all my money on not being so. if thats the case it is justified. Let me explain. What happens is these driver hire autos on a daily fare basis so anything above daily fare is their earning. now if you mix Diesel in petrol or Kerosene in diesel, the same volume of fuel will come in lesser money ( or same money more volume) which results in more mileage but overall it has a totally negetive impact on engine as diesel is much coarser then petrol creating sever damage in cycliner / piston. But if he does not own it he wont care about it.

How i know this is once when i & my firend were riding his Yamaha RX100 & petrol got finished, we borrowed a little petrol & bought a little kerosene from near by & from that mixture were able to reach to the petrol pump
Old 14th December 2009, 16:15   #4
Senior - BHPian

I have heard these autowallahs mixing kerosene on a 70:30 basis & still running it. Even Yezdis & Rajdoots used to be run that way.
Old 14th December 2009, 16:21   #5
BHPian

+1 to sametheleo.

I am sure, he does not own the auto. Just making a few extra rupees at the cost of damage to the auto , which he does not care about because he does not own it !

He may not admit it, for the fear that some one may tell the actual owner . hence the more mileage story.

By the way, I think you can tell by the smell, when kerosene has been mixed to petrol. Whats the smell like from the exhuast when diesel was mixed?

Last edited by vdiatech : 14th December 2009 at 16:24.
Old 14th December 2009, 17:02   #6
BHPian

Quote:
What happens is these driver hire autos on a daily fare basis so anything above daily fare is their earning. now if you mix Diesel in petrol or Kerosene in diesel, the same volume of fuel will come in lesser money ( or same money more volume) which results in more mileage

Leo,

You are absolutely right on this. Its all about travelling more by saving money in the wrong way.
Old 14th December 2009, 17:33   #7
Senior - BHPian

OK this is a old 2 stroke engine. These autos need 2T to be added to petrol for lubrication. My friend used to put normal coconut oil in his yam rx100. Diesel is less viscous when compared to 2T and dosent burn in the cylenders during cumbustion.

This sounds like another myth or adding engine oil along with petrol to improve milage etc.

Pramod
Old 14th December 2009, 17:42   #8
BHPian

But I am not sure if owner or driver needs to be bothered about condition of the engine etc., (assuming those sort of autos have lived past its life considering they are really really old now)..
Old 14th December 2009, 21:58   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
I have heard these autowallahs mixing kerosene on a 70:30 basis & still running it. Even Yezdis & Rajdoots used to be run that way.
In interroirs of Maharshtra, I have seen Autowallahs running their vehicles on 90% kerosene (except a small amount of 100% petrol that they use when they start their day in the morning). And yes, Autos do run, but create a much more smoke and distinct smell of kerosene burning. And a friend of mine was successfully running old bike on kerosene for a few months before he sold it off. Surely the new buyer would have paid a lot for engine service later.
Old 14th December 2009, 22:28   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaisakhr View Post
Is kerosene harmful to engine? if so how?

[OT]Some of the petrol pumps in Cochin uses kerosene as an adulterant in diesel.
Going OT a bit.

Kerosene in the right ratio isn't harmful and is done by most refineries . You can find more detail about this by maheshmenon ( IIRC)
Old 14th December 2009, 22:42   #11
BHPian

Have seen kersone mixed in petrol for Jawa bikes and now a days kerosine is mixed by truck driver in Tamil Nadu, without the knoweldge of owner of the truckto make some extra pocket money, ultimately the truck owner has to suffer the expenses of overhaulin.

It was used in Yezdi bikes and still used in remote areas, some strating trouble is there, but who cares.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaisakhr View Post
Is kerosene harmful to engine? if so how?

[OT]Some of the petrol pumps in Cochin uses kerosene as an adulterant in diesel.
Not only in cochin it happens all over in India every night. Try filling fuel as you see the unloading of new fuel is over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Yezdi and Jawa can run soley on kersone onces started with petrol and changed over to kerosine. My dad used to do this so I know well.

Last edited by aah78 : 17th December 2009 at 05:30. Reason: Posts merged. Please use the EDIT button to edit previous content. Thanks!
Old 14th December 2009, 23:07   #12
Senior - BHPian

You can smell kerosene in traffic. There is also something called "Masala Petrol". Its a mixture of different oils and is used by autos, mostly sold in rural areas. Could be some kind precursor to bio-diesel actually (only polluting!!)

Last edited by srishiva : 14th December 2009 at 23:09.
Old 14th December 2009, 23:15   #13
Senior - BHPian

In Kerala ,Bajaj Autos(2 stroke) are "classified" by the auto guys as the one which runs with "petrol-diesel"(older autos) and petrol only. that All Autos are powered by LPG ,Don't know if this thing has any validity now.
Old 14th December 2009, 23:52   #14
Senior - BHPian

So what happens?? 60 octane petrol??
Old 16th December 2009, 02:20   #15
BHPian

I have a personal experience of using kerosene in one of my vehicle (sorry to say this. I did this long back when i was doing my 12th). I had a 60cc vehice which i used while doing my 12th. Obviously due to lack of pocket money used to pour some kerosene to my vehicle during that time but i was sure that it was in 70:30 ratio only. I started doing this when the vehicle was about 1 year old. continued this for almost next 3 -4 months. BANG!!!! after that it started showing problems. Engine will stop after it rides for almost 10 -15 mins. Then have to kick it for almost 10 mins to start it again.

Now the vehicle is at home of no use. I damn wasted a 28,000/- Vehicle.

Now also some times i will try starting it.. It starts for some time (>2mins) and then stops buy this time i can see smoke comming out from the engine enclosure.

"KEROSENE IS INJURIOUS TO AUTO HEALTH"

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks