Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2009, 22:57   #1
BHPian

Fiat Palio 1.2 Starting Issues

i have a palio 1.2 which sometimes refuses to start up.
a week ago, i was getting some ICE tweaked and the car refused to start after it. it even refused to crank. we had to jump start it and everything was normal after that. i thought it was somehow the battery getting drained completely (new battery -- 4/5 months old).

but the problem re-appeared a couple of days ago. this time i just switched-off the car and went outside for 5 mins, came back and no go. the car refused to even crank. jump-ed it again and everything was back to normal. i tried switching off and then switching on again.
today. i started the car fine. went for some work. after a while, switched off the engine (just for kicks, ) and then again the car refused to start.

so battery isnt the culprit as i earlier imagined (and hoped). the fault lies somewhere else. I just hope there is no issues with the Starter (SELF).
can anyone suggest some remedies...?

off the top of my head, these may be the culprits:
* Starter Motor (Solenoid)
* Ignition Switch
* Starter (SELF)
* Battery ( i really do hope. can the battery get drained so quick?)

Please help me out...?
Old 21st December 2009, 23:14   #2
Senior - BHPian

Some loose contact somewhere? What exactly was done a week ago. (Tweaking ICE)
Old 21st December 2009, 23:34   #3
BHPian

the tweaking done was fairly minimal. we put a new RCA wire. and sort of what appear fishy was that the guy removed the HU. in the process one of the remote wires connected for powering the amp got disconnected. the guy initially connected it to what he said was with the "key-wire" -- which made the amp power up as soon as i switched the ignition key to ON position. not even requiring the HU to power up in order to power the amp.

i brought this to the guy's notice and he corrected it by connecting the remote wire to the necessary wire so that now the amp only fires up with the HU.

do u think this might have something to do with it?
Old 22nd December 2009, 06:38   #4
HKS
BHPian

Amit, as your car refuses to crank. Btw, just noticed your based in Delhi, and right now considering the temperatures, your battery could be facing problems in cold. Next time, instead of jump starting try starting the car with another battery directly. If that is the case, your battery has become weak, which is normal considering the temperature you live in. Was it early morning or late in the evening when you faced the cranking issue?
Old 22nd December 2009, 09:56   #5
Senior - BHPian

I really suspect that it has got something to do with the ignition wiring. Please get that sorted out, take your car to a good service center and not to the ICE guy again.

I do not think the problem is with your battery as you have mentioned that car initially started up fine and after a drive, it refused to even crank.
Old 22nd December 2009, 10:51   #6
BHPian

It is certainly something got to do with that wiring (Key wire) you mentioned. Either it is a loose contact or something is not working properly in the circuit. Please get it check with a Automobile electrician.

Also get you battery checked for specific gravity.
Old 22nd December 2009, 12:40   #7
BHPian

Amit,

Couple of months back I too did face the same problem.starter was the culprit. The TATA Motors said they need 2 weeks to source one. Itook it to a local electrician and got it repaired for 700Rs.
Old 22nd December 2009, 12:47   #8
BHPian

Same thing happened to my car a month back. Battery was the culprit in my case.
As said by HKS, try a different battery and see if the car starts. I got my car tested the same way.
Two months now, no problem till date.

Or you try get the batteries fully charged at a battery shop and see. It may be an easy and cheap diagnosis.
Old 23rd December 2009, 23:30   #9
BHPian

I am mighty confused as to what the problem would be. I havent had time to get it checked yet. More importantly, I am hesitant to take it to a local electrician and infact, even to Fiat A.S.S.
as of now,
* the current state is that there was no crank till last night which made me believe it is infact the starter.
* this morning, there was a very faint crank. engine could not get started, though. the faint crank led me to think if it was the battery.

I am thinking, to get a local electrician to first check the battery. If the battery is fine, only then take it to Fiat's A.S.S. I dont know, but I am nervous abt taking the palio to local workshops.
Old 24th December 2009, 10:58   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitverma View Post
I am mighty confused as to what the problem would be. I havent had time to get it checked yet. More importantly, I am hesitant to take it to a local electrician and infact, even to Fiat A.S.S.
as of now,
* the current state is that there was no crank till last night which made me believe it is infact the starter.
* this morning, there was a very faint crank. engine could not get started, though. the faint crank led me to think if it was the battery.

I am thinking, to get a local electrician to first check the battery. If the battery is fine, only then take it to Fiat's A.S.S. I dont know, but I am nervous abt taking the palio to local workshops.
My problem was 100% similar. And for me the culprit was battery. I would strongly recommend you check the car with a spare battery.
Old 24th December 2009, 11:22   #11
BHPian

Quote:
the tweaking done was fairly minimal. we put a new RCA wire. and sort of what appear fishy was that the guy removed the HU. in the process one of the remote wires connected for powering the amp got disconnected. the guy initially connected it to what he said was with the "key-wire" -- which made the amp power up as soon as i switched the ignition key to ON position. not even requiring the HU to power up in order to power the amp.

i brought this to the guy's notice and he corrected it by connecting the remote wire to the necessary wire so that now the amp only fires up with the HU.

do u think this might have something to do with it?
My guess it could probably be a parasitic drain. Some thing from your ICE set up is draining the battery as it is staying energized even after you switch off. This explains why you get faint cranks.

Other possibilities
-Alternator ( weak area in palios)
- I do not think it has any thing to do with starter, selinoids or anything in the cranking loop, else you could not jump start.
- Since you siad its a 4/5 month old battery its is very unlikely it could fail.
Old 25th December 2009, 10:37   #12
HKS
BHPian

Quote:

I am thinking, to get a local electrician to first check the battery.
Battery can get drained in just no time if kept on ground. So maybe the guy from whom you bought it, might have kept the battery directly on the floor which could have led to some draining and it being cold in Delhi, battery life reduces. Do check the battery.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks