Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th December 2009, 11:23   #1

Honda City CVT does not move forward

My Honda City starts, on the first turn of the ignition, but does not move forward for about 5-10 minutes. The car does not respond to any amount of acceleration during this interval. After the above interval, the car moves slowly with a couple of jerks and eventually (within a couple of minutes), begins to respond to acceleration and runs normally after that.
The "D" light also blinks and can be turned off, by shutting off the engine and restarting the engine, once the car has started responding.

The car responds normally to reverse gear, at startup.

Has anyone encountered this problem?

Details:
Honda City GXi CVT 2005, 45000 km.
Old 25th December 2009, 12:36   #2
Senior - BHPian

The D light blinking is a code from the transmission control module. Take careful note of the flashing pattern - it can be used to diagnose the problem.

But usually any sort of issue in the CVT usually means replacing the transmission. :(
Old 25th December 2009, 23:49   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
The D light blinking is a code from the transmission control module. Take careful note of the flashing pattern - it can be used to diagnose the problem.

But usually any sort of issue in the CVT usually means replacing the transmission. :(
Had it tested by the mechanic and the OBD code was "34-01 CVT I/P SHAFT(DRIVE PULLEY) SPEED SENSOR MALFUNCTION". The dealer mentioned that the sensor were working just fine.
Old 26th December 2009, 12:29   #4
Senior - BHPian

Well, something is wrong, isn't it? Get it fixed while it may be still a repair job. A transmission replacement job will NOT be cheap!
Old 26th December 2009, 21:52   #5

Do transmission and gearbox refer to the same thing?
Old 27th December 2009, 00:39   #6
BHPian

I think this unique to your car only !! It must be abused real bad pal to reach here CVT s are real reliable units otherwise !! Keep us posted with how you go about this !!
Old 13th April 2010, 18:46   #7
BHPian

CVT in Honda City not functioning

The auto gear of my Honda CVT is not functioning at all. There is no movement of the car in either of D, R, S or L. The facts are:

I had bought a used 3 year old Honda CVT (Auto) around 6 months ago. The transmission was perfectly fine and there were no issues.

After a month or so there were instances, especially in morning, where the car would only race in D, without shifting power from engine to wheels. I gave the car for servicing at an authorised service center. They suggested replacement of Transmission oil as a solution, which was carried out. The problem persisted and hence they said that they will check the callibaration. They found nothing in the check.

We brought back the car and started using it. It now made noise whenever gear change was taking place. Assuming that this was to do with auto gear box, and it is not advisable to open it, we did nothing about it. Last week, we gave the car for second service and also informed them about the noise problem. We went for a test drive with the agent and the mechanic. The mechanic showed us that upper mount was broken and thats why the car was making noise when changing the gear. We agreed for them to replace the mount.

Next day on enquiring, we were informed that the car has stopped all movement. It was neither moving forward or rear in any of the gears. When we visited the service center they sohowed us the transmission oil that they had drained and according to them there was smell of burning that was coming from the liquid. Their speculation was that clutch inside the mechanism in burned. They have advised that only solution is to replace the entire cvt assembly and that would cost in lakhs.

I request for your advice on:
(1) If people have experienced similar problem;
(2) What could be the reason for this;
(3) Is replacing the only solution or are there any other solutions also.
(4) The cost of replacement, if it has to be carried out.

Last edited by Technocrat : 13th April 2010 at 18:56. Reason: Removed additional color & font tags, please avoid copy pasting text from external editors like MS word etc, thanks
Old 21st April 2010, 11:21   #8
BHPian

Quatro,

Check this webpage

CVT Symptom Troubleshooting (CVT)

Here you can see the common problems with CVT and respective 'probable' causes. The site is dedicated for Honda Jazz/Fit and not specfically for City. Nevertheless, the CVT versions (w/o 7-speed mode) are identical in all versions.

I would suggest, rush to nearest service center and get the CVT checked thoroughly.
Old 9th April 2013, 17:38   #9

Re: Honda City CVT does not move forward

A similar thing happened, and one thing lead to another, eventually had to get the tranny unit changed. Managed to find a second-hand tranny and a trusty mechanic in Mumbai to get it changed, now works like a charm. Expensive, but in hindsight, well worth it.

Symptoms observed was that the vehicle wouldn't upshift out of what seemed like 1st gear. Initial observation was that the CVT oil level was quite low (a note here: CVT Oil level needs to be checked with the engine running), and after a change of CVT oil, the problem persisted. On investigation, the mechanic found that due to the lack of oil (and sheer lack of ethics or respect for all things mechanical by the previous owner) some parts had jammed/fused inside the unit, causing the unit to fail.

Here's couple of pictures of the old unit. You can't really see much damage from the outside. Total cost was just under 60,000 INR. Anyone needs a reference to this mechanic, I will be happy to share my experience.
Honda City CVT does not move forward-hondacvtunit1.jpg
Honda City CVT does not move forward-hondacvtunit2.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks