Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2010, 20:31   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samy3660 View Post
The noise from steering column became quite prominent at 68000kms and whenever i hit potholes theres a huge thud as if the shockups not able to bear the weight and and thus making huge sound. I have shown it to another service station from which i recently changed my clutch plate, they opened the steering column and suspension and told me that these changes are required:
1. 2 front shock ups
2. steering ball joints and something called as tirodent from steering column
3. 2 front lower arms

And it could cost me approx 18000/- rs.

Suggestions please.
Do they really need to change all the parts of front suspension system. those are all of them, only left is stablizer bar.

here are the parts cost. Swift suspension parts are very expensive.
1. Lower trailing arm Rs. 1300 each
2. Tierod end 1150 each
3. Tierod 1750 each
4. McPherson strut along with kit minus the springs Rs. 1950 a piece.

Now do the math. Also do get a second opinion. Unlike some of us you live in a metro, you have lot of options.

To check the Struts yourself, do a bit of search, i have posted numerous times in other threads.

To check if tierod ends and rods are okay, put the car on a plain surface. Cemented surface recommended, now vigorously turn left and right, like the kids do. If you hear kit-kit noise the rods and its ends are probably gone.

BTW also an expert alignment wala will be able to pinpoint this easily just by looking. This is the thing that is fiddled while doing wheel alignment.

Last edited by SirAlec : 26th May 2010 at 20:33.
Old 29th May 2010, 18:09   #17
BHPian

Quote:
To check if tierod ends and rods are okay, put the car on a plain surface. Cemented surface recommended, now vigorously turn left and right, like the kids do. If you hear kit-kit noise the rods and its ends are probably gone.
I had checked this while at standstill position and also at 25-30kmph speed and i have heard no sound let a lone kit kit. So i think tie rods are ok, Right??

I had also checked the struts like you have mentioned in some thread by pushing the car from bonnet on the right and left side, the car just comes up once and doesn't go up and and down more than one time. So i think the struts are also ok, right??

And lastly i have shown it another advisor and we rectified the issue by replacing the bearings of front wheel left side costed me 715 for bearing and 250 labour.

The steering column noise is still there, the advisor said theres the "cross bearing" in the column which is making this noise whenever the car hits a pot hole and that it needs to be repaired. He told me this will cost around 2000 bucks. I will do this in next service.

Thanks
Old 21st April 2012, 21:40   #18
BHPian

Swift steering assembly changed no information from maruti

I own a swift zdi ,it is probably one of the early birds as far as zdi model is concerned. I have clocked 10000 + Kms and this was my third free service.i noticed a wired sound from front right side and hence I did mentioned it to the service advisor.

The service advisor test drove the vehicle to get the taste of the issue but he said hat very thing was fine.

I insisted him to re check the vehicle during the service and let me know if there was a problem, and he agreed to do that.

Out of curiousity I paid a surprise visit to the dealership before my delivery time and I saw five people from maruti sitting inside my car and doing a thorough inspection, the service advisor told me that we realised that " something Is wrong with your car" and hence we have called people from maruti and they are doing the inspection and you shall be getting your car tomorrow .
The other I got a call from he service advisor that my car is ready and I can get it back, when I went to the dealership I was told that entire steering assembly was changed under warranty . I asked the service advisor that what was the problem with my car ?

To my surprise he just told me that this is known better by maruti people but we h ave changed the entire assembly through the vendor and we cannot tell you anything other than that.

Please share if any of new swift owner is facing such problem and don't I have he right to know the route cause of the problem though I do not have to pay for it.
Old 21st April 2012, 23:22   #19
BHPian

Re: Swift steering assembly changed no information from maruti

Quote:
Originally Posted by vc.vinay View Post
I own a swift zdi ,it is probably one of the early birds as far as zdi model is concerned. I have clocked 10000 + Kms and this was my third free service.i noticed a wired sound from front right side and hence I did mentioned it to the service advisor...

...Please share if any of new swift owner is facing such problem and don't I have he right to know the route cause of the problem though I do not have to pay for it.
Maruti *SS is answerable to you even if the steering assembly was changed under warranty. They are supposed to give/ explain you a complete account of work done on your car. Even the feedback form has a section asking if the SA has clearly explained the repairs done on your car. Put them to task; and do share this info with us. BTW which MASS is this?

Last edited by suhaas307 : 6th June 2018 at 00:48. Reason: Please avoid quoting the entire post as it may inconvenience small screen / mobile users. Thanks :)
Old 17th February 2018, 12:07   #20

Re: Steering assembly issue in swift vdi

I have been facing the issue of prominent noise from front passenger side even on road joints and loud "thak , thak " noise when on rough roads in my Maruti Swift VXi March 2006 model with 1.17 Lac on odometer.Also when we steer on parked car i can hear the "kat kat" sound. Mass told me that complete steering rack assembly (Priced at around 60-70K) needs to be replaced as in older swift there are no separate spares for steering rack assembly.My SA advised me to get it done from outside as they can make the part outside (or did i heard Bush) on Lathe and fix it at a much lesser price may be in 15 to 20 K. So need advice from the experts here. Please suggest if some one came across the same issue and is fix.

Sound is some what like shown in the below video but sound is much prominent than this.

Please Suggest.
Old 17th February 2018, 21:33   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pm25264 View Post
I have been facing the issue of prominent noise from front passenger side even on road joints and loud "thak , thak " noise when on rough roads in my Maruti Swift VXi March 2006 model with 1.17 Lac on odometer.Also when we steer on parked car i can hear the "kat kat" sound. Mass told me that complete steering rack assembly (Priced at around 60-70K) needs to be replaced as in older swift there are no separate spares for steering rack assembly.My SA advised me to get it done from outside as they can make the part outside (or did i heard Bush) on Lathe and fix it at a much lesser price may be in 15 to 20 K. So need advice from the experts here. Please suggest if some one came across the same issue and is fix.

Please Suggest.
Firstly the steering assembly is 30 k, its no where near the 60-70k he has quoted.

Secondly, the lathe job is a bush replacement job by opening the steering rack and that will cost you 3 thousand rupees, not 15-20 thousand.

Also while replacing the steering rack bush, it would be a good idea to replace the steering bar joint bushes too. Everything will set you back by maximum 5 thousand and this would include greasing the steering rack too for which they use some special grease which is a little costly at 800 rupees.

I am going to get the rack bush replaced in 5-10 thousand kilometers too as my steering has started making a noise too. Be adviced the as told to me by my trusted service adviser, the steering will be tight for a couple of thousand kilometers before things settle down.

Please stop visiting the MASS who told you about these prices, seems like they want to loot you
humyum is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2018, 22:58   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Maruti Swift VXi March 2006 model with 1.17 Lac on odometer.
The electric power steering motor on first gen Swift's are mounted on the steering rack. Not on the steering column like later models. Correct torquing of the rack mounted motor is very critical to the proper functioning of the PS unit.
If you get it done locally, apart from what has been discussed in the previous replies, please request your friendly mechanic NOT to overtighten the damper/steering box/motor nut as then it'll prevent free movement/self centering of the steering wheel. Worse, because of too much resistance due to overtightening, the motor coil can burn out.
A good Swift mechanic will be able to do it. It's just a matter of being careful & a little bit of attention to detail.

Last edited by arjab : 17th February 2018 at 23:00. Reason: Corrected spelling mistakes
arjab is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2018, 23:24   #23
BHPian

Quote:

Please Suggest.
As humyum said steering rake assembly is 28k-30k and steering overhaul with greasing and bush replacement is 5-5.5 k job at MASS. Most of the time it solves the problem for at least 40k kms. One more thing needed along with is wheel alignment. You need to go with it even though its expensive at MASS. When I did it to my swift they did not do job perfectly for the first time. Steering became hard and alignment was way out. I had to redo it again in a week. 2nd time they did perfect job. Since I opted for alignment I did not have to pay anything extra and everything resolved at one place.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 6th June 2018 at 00:50. Reason: Removing URL link from quoted post
Old 23rd May 2023, 19:05   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjab View Post
The electric power steering motor on first gen Swift's are mounted on the steering rack.
This is an imported part from Japan and Maruti has increased its price to 38K. Any suggestions on buying and fixing a used car part?
Old 23rd May 2023, 20:19   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MageshSai View Post
This is an imported part from Japan and Maruti has increased its price to 38K. Any suggestions on buying and fixing a used car part?
Yes, it is very expensive because it is a SGP, (Suzuki Genuine Part) and not MGP.
I repaired my Swift's steering system from the local steering/lathe shop. The charges were around 4500 rupees. The steering rattling noises went away but the downside was that the self centering was very badly affected. Even adjustments to the steering damper didn't solve matters. Managed to live with it for a couple of months but the "de-sensitised" steering was irritating me so much that in the end i changed it to the original SGP system from the Maruti service centre. Cost me 35,000 rupees in 2021.

You may take your chances with a used part. The problem is this system was discontinued from 2008 onwards on Swifts when Maruti switched to a column mounted setup. So whatever "used part" you may get may be of.2098-09 vintage and may not be in the best of health. You can look at early model Ritz petrol steering assy, which can also be fitted to the Gen-1 Swift.
arjab is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2023, 15:55   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjab View Post
You may take your chances with a used part.
I bought a used rack from Pune, through one of the dealer's FB campaign. I had spoken to two trusted car advisors before ordering. Both said, Rs.7000 for a used rack is a good bet to give it a try. After seeing the photos and video of working condition of the part, I ordered it.

Steering assembly issue in swift vdi-whatsapp-image-20230523-18.33.22.jpeg

They shipped it to Bangalore at the cost of Rs.500 and it reached in 2 days.

Steering assembly issue in swift vdi-whatsapp-image-20230704-15.40.34.jpeg

I had to go and pick it up near Kantewara Stadium.

Steering assembly issue in swift vdi-img_20230610_135243.jpg

Once the new rack was fixed, the steering was still tight. It took a week to diagnose the problem. The doubts were shifting from speed sensor input to EPS to power supply to EPS.

Steering assembly issue in swift vdi-img20230619wa0006.jpg

Steering assembly issue in swift vdi-img20230619wa0007.jpg

Finally, it was the problem with the EPS module itself. They put an used EPS module at the cost of Rs.3500 (OEM around Rs.8000) and it worked. Drive shaft boot replaced for one side and drive shaft servicing was done. The steering works fine now and it feels breezy. There was a bend in the pinion of the rack due to which there is some hesitation in power assistance rendered at some particular points. Total cost for all parts + labour came around Rs.19,500. Feels, it is worthy given that I plan to keep the car for another 3 years.

The old parts that are removed from car.

Steering assembly issue in swift vdi-img_20230627_133027.jpg
MageshSai is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks