Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st December 2009, 17:28   #1

Engine lag ?

I have June 2006 VIVA CRDI put a mileage of 47700. Today i went a car dealer to check a valuation of my car, to my surprise he quoted me a price of 3.5+lac and was saying that there is a engine lag already, so there can be a potential problems. So he quoted that much. But till date i have not had any single issue with the engine.

Can some one tell me what exactly is this engine lag ? Is it wise for me to hold back the car if the deal price as quoted above ? If so then what kind of implications i face with this.

Please advice.

--Srinath
Old 31st December 2009, 19:06   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

The dealer is taking you for a ride, there is nothing called engine lag. He is trying to buy your car for less.
Old 31st December 2009, 19:16   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

He is using your automobile knowledge lag to ensure that he leads
Old 31st December 2009, 19:38   #4
BHPian

as anshuman said, stay away from the dealer he is just trying to negotiate by showing some or the other issue.

P.S. : Just for info sake, try asking him what engine Lag means? and then put up his reply here on Teambhp.
Old 31st December 2009, 19:48   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
The dealer is taking you for a ride, there is nothing called engine lag. He is trying to buy your car for less.
Is the car tubro-charged? If so the sales person must have been refering to turbo-lag.

I dont think the CRDI is turbo charged but cars like the Skoda Octy vRS are and there is a small lag after you press the accelerator before the engine develops enough rpms for the turbo to kick in.
Old 31st December 2009, 20:09   #6

I will be going to the same place again to find out what exactly it is because somehow i could not get convinced the way he quoted the price for MY car. This time i will meet some other valuator

@navin: He told this after he opening the bonnet and starting the engine for 2 to 3 times.

As
Old 31st December 2009, 20:15   #7
BHPian

he probably meant that the engine is sluggish and not responsive enough. He has used the wrong words. I dont know if this was intentional ?
this is a usual trick to knock the price off.

I agree with others when they ask you stay away from the dealer.

Cars feel different to different users, unless they are brand new. People who get used to their cars for years seldom notice such things. I am one of them. My brother when drives my car, has a few issues, but me no !

Last edited by vdiatech : 31st December 2009 at 20:33.
Old 31st December 2009, 20:28   #8
Senior - BHPian

Was he talking about low end performance fading off? So if you're at low revs, the car doesn't accelerate like it used to when new?
Old 31st December 2009, 22:25   #9
Senior - BHPian

Starting the car for two to three times cannot give a complete idea about engine's condition. If somebody is an expert, then its a different thing. I have met one person in my life who was younger than me by one year without any automotive qualification, but if you let him hear any noise, he would instantly tell what is wrong. He would start an engine for 2-3 times on ant car/bike and could tell about condition.

Now this is rarity. I doubt that your evaluator has this much indepth knowledge. And if the engine has lower response, there can be many things leading to that.

Either he is trying to make a fool out of you or is using wrong words. That said, the 1.5 3 cylinder units is known to give early issues. Atleast that is what I have seen on more than one place.

As of now, you need not worry and go for second opinion for this, i.e. a different evaluator.
Old 31st December 2009, 23:55   #10
Senior - BHPian

what he meant, i think is that engine has lost its power over time.

Before being nearly had by him do the following simple test

Please check if you car picks up with third gear easily instead of first.
Old 1st January 2010, 00:05   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Is the car tubro-charged? If so the sales person must have been refering to turbo-lag.

I dont think the CRDI is turbo charged...
IIRC, the Accent's 3-cylinder CRDi pot generates about 85 BHP - is that without a turbo-charger??!
Old 1st January 2010, 02:21   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
IIRC, the Accent's 3-cylinder CRDi pot generates about 85 BHP - is that without a turbo-charger??!
Yup, the Viva crdi was turbocharged. It produces 187nm from a 1.5 block which is just too high for a NA diesel engine to produce.

Hyundai Accent VIVA CRDi Specifications - CarWale.com

So the guys was prob refering to turbo lag.

Shan2nu
Old 1st January 2010, 11:55   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
Yup, the Viva crdi was turbocharged. It produces 187nm from a 1.5 block which is just too high for a NA diesel engine to produce.

Hyundai Accent VIVA CRDi Specifications - CarWale.com

So the guys was prob refering to turbo lag.

Shan2nu
But that's an inherent characterisitic of the car. How can that reduce its value in the used car market or hint at possible problems?
Old 1st January 2010, 12:11   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But that's an inherent characterisitic of the car. How can that reduce its value in the used car market or hint at possible problems?
One possibility is that if the engine compression pressure has reduced over the years, it might affect exhaust velocity, causing the turbo to kick in at a higher rpm and reduce the overall effectiveness of the turbocharger.

So maybe if the car goes throught a complete checkup at a Hyundai service station, it might reveal any issues, if there are any.

Shan2nu

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks