Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2010, 01:46   #1
BHPian

Low Beam not working

I recently did 1450 kms on my 3.5 yrs old santro, the car behaved like a darling by not giving any problem.

I purchased a pack of "philips crystal vision" bulbs but before i could install i found driver side low beam is not working, checked the old bulb, its fine, works on other side.

Luckily this problem started after i was back to my hometown.

went to a local mechanic but later i refused to get it diagnosed by him as he was all into cutting wires for locating faults which i didn't wanted to happen.

checklist i've gone through
1). Bulbs
2). fuses
3). Relay near battery
4). Connector which connects to headlight bulb holder
The wire which is for low beam is not getting any current for right side, all other lights in car are working fine.

then called the local hyundai auth. service center and spoke to my mech. he says he would need to open steering column and check some combination switch.

has anyone got idea about cost of such replacements ?
has anyone faced similar issues on santro, whats was the problem ?
Old 3rd January 2010, 02:26   #2
BHPian

You must have seen there goes 3 wires in bulb, black one is of ground and other two are +ve, one for low beam and other for high beam. From your described problem we can say the driver side bulb low beam wire is not giving any voltage to bulb. If your headlight setup does not have any relay then current goes to these low and high beam wires from combination switch directly hence your hyundai auth. mech. is saying right.
There is also a possibility of your driver side bulb holder low beam connecting pin getting burnt, so check your holder for any sign of burn.
No idea about exact cost of combination switch of santro but it should be around 2k, But before you get it replaced get the headlight holder, wiring harness properly checked for any faults.

Last edited by Hashim : 3rd January 2010 at 02:29.
Old 3rd January 2010, 06:51   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpk View Post
I recently did 1450 kms on my 3.5 yrs old santro, the car behaved like a darling by not giving any problem.

I purchased a pack of "philips crystal vision" bulbs but before i could install i found driver side low beam is not working, checked the old bulb, its fine, works on other side.

Luckily this problem started after i was back to my hometown.

went to a local mechanic but later i refused to get it diagnosed by him as he was all into cutting wires for locating faults which i didn't wanted to happen.

1). Bulbs
2). fuses
3). Relay near battery
The wire which is for low beam is not getting any current for right side, all other lights in car are working fine.

then called the local hyundai auth. service center and spoke to my mech. he says he would need to open steering column and check some combination switch.

Normally you should have a headlight Relay with seperate contacts for left and right.The steering column switch normally gives only one output for the low beams and another for the high beams. ( don't know if this is the case with Santro)

Just a possibility.

Last edited by sudharma : 3rd January 2010 at 06:54.
Old 3rd January 2010, 09:16   #4
BHPian

The Indica has fuses for each beam under the bonnet - in addition to the ones under the steering wheel. I'm not sure if this is the same on the Santro. Also, if you have upgraded to 100/90, a bad relay (cut out) may also cause this.
Old 3rd January 2010, 12:26   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

This is a simple continuity issue and normally happens only when the bulb conks off.

Since you say you have ensured the bulb and the fuse are OK,
  1. clean the terminals on the bulb holder
  2. Check if you are getting a 12v supply in the suspected faulty side when the combination light switch is on
  3. Fir the bulb and try again
Old 3rd January 2010, 19:16   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

If you have upgraded to 90/100, AND are still using your stock bulb holders : change to a Ceramic holder. Should cost about 70 for a Roots unit (one piece). The heat generated by a 90/100 bulb will melt the connector.

You will need to cut wires, but DO it.
Old 3rd January 2010, 21:33   #7
BHPian

^^^ Actually there are headlight relay wiring with ceramic holders available which do NOT require cutting of any wire. But he must solve his problem first then add this in case he is using higher wattage bulbs.
Old 4th January 2010, 14:35   #8
BHPian

Thanks guys, I've checked all holders, wires and bulbs, the low beam on left side is not getting any current.
Holder, pins are not damaged as i've checked it all.

As I am little ill, not able to go to "HASS"

if the combination switch from steering colomn, sends only one wire for High and one wire for low beam, then iam sure its not the combination switch but the wires on joint somewhere it KAPUT.

I'll post the details once I get it repaired.

once done, i may go for a relay and ceramic option.
Old 4th January 2010, 15:02   #9
BHPian

Quote:

1). Bulbs
2). fuses
3). Relay near battery

Since both beams work fine on both sides, the combi switch is doing its job. Its is only the continuity that is missing. If you dont want to spend much time or money, simply run a wire from the left low beam wire and connect it parallel to the other lamp. This will solve the problem.
Yet the right way to do it is to check the continuity using a multimeter or a continuity tester. As well confirm if rats dont do a menace in your parking place.

In our Ford Ikon, there is a cable that goes into the headlamp assembly. This cable contains wires for gnd, HL levelling, indicator lamp, and the parking lamp. It could be probable that the link from the HL assembly housing to the actual lamp has a problem. Just listed down the possibilities, but I am highly convinced that the combi switch is fine.

- Ilango
Old 4th January 2010, 16:14   #10
BHPian

i have had this exact problem in my santro. Only Left low beam not working. High beam fine.

after a detailed search by Hyundai A.S.S, since the car is in warranty, the problem turner out to be in the steering column combination switch.

In my case my car washer had hit the stack while cleaning the interior. Two of the pins were bent and little plastic holder broken. The combination switch was replace for free under warranty.

Take the car to A.S.S.

UM
Old 6th January 2010, 01:03   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniqueMods View Post
i have had this exact problem in my santro. Only Left low beam not working. High beam fine.

after a detailed search by Hyundai A.S.S, since the car is in warranty, the problem turner out to be in the steering column combination switch.

In my case my car washer had hit the stack while cleaning the interior. Two of the pins were bent and little plastic holder broken. The combination switch was replace for free under warranty.

Take the car to A.S.S.

UM
Thanks for the input, I'll visit A.S.S. in a few days. avoiding night drives currently.
Old 14th April 2010, 08:26   #12

My Adventure sports 1.6 has clocked 26K km. Recently head light bulbs H1 & H7 changed from 55 to 100w with no modification but now my both headlight are getting moisture inside on glass. Please kindly advise solution to prevent moisture inside the headlights.
Old 14th April 2010, 10:51   #13
BHPian

There must have some gap developed between reflector and the glass. Look closely and if there is any gap, seal it with "Three Bond" gasket sealant available at spare part shops. Before sealing it make sure you evaporate all the moisture inside the glass by using headlight for sometime.

Last edited by Hashim : 14th April 2010 at 10:53.
Old 14th April 2010, 14:29   #14
BHPian

Sorry guys i think I mentioned the solution in some other thread.

During service i was able to get this fixed as the culprit was combination switch in steering column.
The High beams goes thru relay where as low beam has two contacts in switch itself.
as told by service mech at H.A.S.S. the points were melted and has been replaced.
Old 14th April 2010, 17:36   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry guys i think I mentioned the solution in some other thread.

During service i was able to get this fixed as the culprit was combination switch in steering column.
The High beams goes thru relay where as low beam has two contacts in switch itself.
as told by service mech at H.A.S.S. the points were melted and has been replaced.
how much did the combination switch cost as H.A.S.S ?

UM

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks