Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2010, 19:59   #1
Senior - BHPian

Safari suspension overhaul

Date: 30/12/2009

My 4 x 4 Safari of '98 vintage is undergoing complete suspension overhaul for the first time after 12 years of possession. All bushes, shockers etc., are being changed. The parts itself costed Rs. 11255/-.

It was wheeled in today to the garage and is likely to return home on the New Year's day. A detailed report with cost break-up will be posted once the job is completed.

Date: 1/01/2010

The complete suspension job of my Safari 4 x4 was completed today and I took the delivery at 6:30 pm. The truck was wheeled in on the 30th at 10:00 am and it took the whole day to dis-assemble the suspension parts. Some were very difficult to open as it was being done for the first time in 12 years. Some parts were difficult to source since the vehicle is old and I pathologically hate the ASCs. Sagar Motors, Gurgaon, who apart from being an authorised M&M spares dealer is also the TATA spares dealer. They were able to provide 97% of the parts. The details are given below:

1. Front suspension Bush kit - Rs. 950.00
2. Tie-rod end set - Rs. 1270.00
3. Steering Dampner - Rs. 495.00
4. Gabriel Front Shocker set - Rs. 1960.00
5. Gabriel Rear Shocker set - Rs. 1360.00
6. Power Steering seal set - Rs. 145.00
7. Gear lever kit - Rs. 155.00
8. Front bearing set (4 Nos) - Rs. 1580.00
9. Rear suspension Bush kit - Rs. 1950.00
10.Upper Ball joint set - Rs. 850.00
11.Lower Ball joint set - Rs. 990.00
12.Power steering oil - Rs. 200.00
13.Steering rod cross set - Rs. 350.00
14.Nut-Bolt 12" (5 Nos) - Rs. 25.00
15.Grease 500 gm - Rs. 100.00
16.White Dhoti 4 pkts - Rs. 100.00
17.Elfy - Rs. 10.00
18.Miscellaneous - Rs. 25.00
--------------------------------------------
TOTAL - Rs.12515.00
19.Suspension overhaul Labour - Rs. 3000.00
20.Drycleaning & Washing - Rs. 1000.00
21.Alignment - Rs. 150.00
GRAND TOTAL - Rs.16665.00
The NVH is almost negligible. The truck feels lighter. Once the center pin settles down, the steering is expected to be lighter & smoother. The 4 x 4 switch is not functioning. Waiting for the new one to come. The Safari is all set for a long long drive.... Amen...

Last edited by gd1418 : 3rd January 2010 at 20:00.
gd1418 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2010, 20:19   #2
Senior - BHPian

Wow GD. 12 years is a long time. How many kms on the odometer...?
And 17k after 12 years is dirt cheap. Wish you an enjoyable long drive!

Cheers,
Jay
Old 3rd January 2010, 21:11   #3
Senior - BHPian

Jay, the odo reads 75K Kms. Since November 2006 the safari is being driven by my wife. And she does limited driving, hence the odo crawls...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
Wow GD. 12 years is a long time. How many kms on the odometer...?
And 17k after 12 years is dirt cheap. Wish you an enjoyable long drive!

Cheers,
Jay
Old 3rd January 2010, 22:45   #4
Senior - BHPian

That is indeed a small bill for so many kms. Was it a preventive maintenance measure or did you face any problems that necessitated the suspension overhaul?
Old 4th January 2010, 11:48   #5
Senior - BHPian

It wasn't a preventive maintainence. For the last 3 months, the car was pulling to the left inspite of many alignments, balancing & camber adjustments. Secondly, while turning to the right, a funny "khatak-khatak" sound used to emanate from the steering.

Thirdly, I had this nagging feeling that although it has clocked less miles, the number of years must've taken a toll on the rubber. Even they have a shelf & working life in terms of suppleness etc.

So, while the Scorpio's suspension was being overhauled, I saw a Jhajjar politician's DICOR coming in that had 65K kms on the odo for a complete suspension job. That concretised my decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
That is indeed a small bill for so many kms. Was it a preventive maintenance measure or did you face any problems that necessitated the suspension overhaul?
Old 4th January 2010, 12:11   #6
Senior - BHPian

i saw your thread on the scorpio's suspension overhaul too! so you did the overhaul on both the vehicles together eh?
Old 4th January 2010, 15:03   #7
Senior - BHPian

Looks like. Don't you think so?

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
i saw your thread on the scorpio's suspension overhaul too! so you did the overhaul on both the vehicles together eh?
Old 4th January 2010, 15:56   #8
Senior - BHPian

12 years and still doing great. Yah and the bill part; very surprised. You maintain well and it treats you well.

Any incident you can narrate that happened during this period?
Old 4th January 2010, 16:39   #9
BHPian

12500 for full suspension spares is a steal. Are the prices quiet low since you sourced the parts directly from a TATA spares dealer?
ASC would have made sure you are ripped apart maximum
Finally, enjoy your ride for many years to come
Old 4th January 2010, 22:42   #10
Senior - BHPian

Thanks JK. The Safari has served me well and has never failed me on the road.

Two incidents come to my mind:

The first happened in 2003 and that was the reason for my disenchantment with the ASC. Till then the Safari used to go to a TASC, whose name I shall not mention here. Vehicle went in for its regular service and complete suspension overhaul. Came back after 5 days with a bill for Rs.64729/-. It was settled and I was happy that the truck became almost new. The invoice mentioned every item replaced that I've mentioned in my OP.

It was parked in my office garage and I had plans to take it back the next day. The next day in the noon I wanted to leave for home early and planned to take the Safari back leaving my '99 Esteem. The truck fired at half self, idled for a minute and when I tried to move out, the steering wouldn't budge. It appeared almost as jammed. I for once thought that the PS belt snapped. But on inspection it was found to be intact.

With great difficulty and lot of strength I could turn the steering to left-right a little. Called the TASC. Within an hour they sent a rescue team and they too couldn't decipher what was wrong. It was towed to the TASC.

The call from the Supervisor next day sank my heart. The PS pump had packed up and since it was a monobloc, it couldn't be repaired and only be replaced. Since this was a 5 year old vehicle the earlier model of PS was out of production, but the new and the better one was available. I was also told that the older one was 80 bar while the new one was 100 bar, thus improving cutting and steering comfort. The cost - 40K. The reason for PS pump packing up - it ran dry. During regular service the PS oil level was not checked.

Vehicle was out of warranty, I raised a stink asking them to replace it at their own cost since it was their fault, but to no avail. Asked them to send back the vehicle without repairs.

My esteem used to go to this FNG in Gurgaon. I called him up and asked if he repaired Safari as I had seen 1 or 2 safaris coming up and quite a lot of Qualises and Sumos. He asked me the problem and after listening said bring it over. Advised me to drive at 30-40 kmph and with caution. Did that and managed to reach FNG. After he inspected, with trepidation asked as to how much it would cost? He said give 10K, and if more is required he would ask after completion and if less is utilised he would return the balance. I was stunned and with a doubt whether he would be able to rectify went home. The next day arund 4pm he called and said that the vehicle is ready and I can take it back. Reached the FNG asap and there it was all ready. He asked me to take atest drive on the Delhi-Jaipur highway. Drove at 110 kmph. Turned the steering lock-to-lock, did U-turns etc., and it was perfect. Cost Rs.6215/-. I was flabbergasted.

I showed him the bill for suspension. He ramped up the truck and after inspecting said nothing has been changed. I also looked underneath and one of the rear shockers was leaking and the bushes didn't have the new look in them.

That was the day I stopped going to the ASCs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
12 years and still doing great. Yah and the bill part; very surprised. You maintain well and it treats you well.

Any incident you can narrate that happened during this period?
Since I don't go to ASC, I wouldn't know the comparative cost. The prices are low as they were less than the MRP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikhav View Post
12500 for full suspension spares is a steal. Are the prices quiet low since you sourced the parts directly from a TATA spares dealer? ASC would have made sure you are ripped apart maximum
Finally, enjoy your ride for many years to come
gd1418 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th January 2010, 11:34   #11
Senior - BHPian

@ gd1418: so are you saying Rs. 64729 was charged for absolutely nothing? dint you ask the A.S.S for an explanation?
Old 5th January 2010, 11:38   #12
Team-BHP Support

GD, when parts are changed out of warranty, they are supposed to return the old part. I guess this ASC was dishonest. It will be good if you put their name here so that other members can be saved from them
Old 5th January 2010, 13:17   #13
Senior - BHPian

Very initially, they did and so did the MASS for my Esteem. But then I stopped them from doing so as to what would I do with the old or damaged parts? It would've added to the junk in the house.

It was A-one at Okhla.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
GD, when parts are changed out of warranty, they are supposed to return the old part. I guess this ASC was dishonest. It will be good if you put their name here so that other members can be saved from them
I did and they showed me the removed old suspension bushes and some rusted shock absorbers. I was already fed-up and frustrated and let go at that wowing never ever to return, even if it were to be a new purchase.

Tomorrow if I buy a new Safari or Scorpio, my tryst with the ASC shall end the moment the vehicle rolls out of the showroom. Warranty be damned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
@ gd1418: so are you saying Rs. 64729 was charged for absolutely nothing? dint you ask the A.S.S for an explanation?

Last edited by gd1418 : 5th January 2010 at 13:20.
Old 5th January 2010, 14:57   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Tomorrow if I buy a new Safari or Scorpio, my tryst with the ASC shall end the moment the vehicle rolls out of the showroom. Warranty be damned.
GD that does sound very gutsy but with modern vehicles. especially diesels, component costs are quite high... like injectors & the entire pressure rail system. Further more, its very difficult to find a competent mechanic outside who can diagnose ECU errors and resolve stuff. I feel its best to squeeze the manufacturer's warranty for all its worth while they try to experiment on the customer with their new tech. There are far too many examples of cars & suv's on this forum to serve as a warning.

Enjoyed reading your account.

Cheers,
Jay
Old 6th January 2010, 11:21   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Two incidents come to my mind:

Since I don't go to ASC, I wouldn't know the comparative cost. The prices are low as they were less than the MRP.
Hi GD, the ASC story of yours was shocking! Even in Hyundai, I have noticed that ASC is very expensive, especially when it comes to the prices of parts. Luckily, with largely sold vehicles like Accent and Safari (to an extent) we can go to competent mechanics who have reasonable experience and get our cars fixed outside the ASC. I believe it will be much harder to find mechanics with knowledge of a car like Ford Mondeo, Skoda or a Honda Accord. And almost all local mechanics would be ustaads of Sumos and Indicas!

As for your suspension overhaul, I am glad you got it done for a good price. i bet the same thing in ASC would have cost you 50K at least! I too recently got my Accent's rear struts and spacers fitted outside. Seems like a good job has been done.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks