Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 13th January 2010, 22:17   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

of course,yes if there is a leak in the evaporator coil(cooling coil in common parlance
Old 15th January 2010, 15:31   #17
Team-BHP Support

Use a thick cotton cloth to choke the silencer, wet it before you do this. AC leakage if minor can last for couple of months. Major means it will go fuzzzzzzzz in couple of hours If leak is inside the cabin yes the smell can come in.
Old 16th January 2010, 03:29   #18
BHPian

I think you just need to get rid of the car man.
Old 16th January 2010, 05:53   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Bean View Post

1.) The stinging eyes are experienced when I enter the car (e.g.) parked after a drive the previous day & also when I rev the car upto 5000-6000rpm.
2.) Even more when the AC was on as it kept recirculating the fumes. The problem would subside when I lower the windows down or put the AC to external mode. External mode clogged my AC system with leaves and had to shell out 1500/- for the cleaning and refill of gas..
3.) Last trip to Bangalore, I was not able to concentrate during my drive, had to lower my rear window glass for fresh air.
Your symptoms are of CO ( Carbonmonoxide ) poisoning due to exhaust gases entering the cabin. This has happened to me earlier in my Amby. This was traced to a loose exhaust joint and exhaust gasses entering the cabin.
In your case you may have a blocked catalytic convertor and the increased back pressure creates a exhaust leak which is getting into the cabin. If it was a A/C leak, the refrigrent could have leaked out in time and the problem stopped automatically. Also your A/C could have stopped functioning.
Get your exhaust system (manifold, silencer joints etc) checked for leaks ( or cracks).

Last edited by sudharma : 16th January 2010 at 05:55. Reason: correction
Old 27th February 2010, 16:59   #20
BHPian

A small update:
Been trying to find the root cause for a while now, I had stopped using this vehicle and it has been lying at the garage for a while.

There is absolutely no problem with the exhaust.

AC works fine, external air circulation window is closed & does not have loose joints.

Stinging eyes are observed when the car is parked for 3-4 days without driving, Finally it has boiled down to the ICE on the car, got the complete ICE setup removed on the car..I felt an ocean of change, I have not got stinging eyes or headache when driving in traffic. In another 5-7 days, I will come to a conclusion that ICE is indeed causing the problem.

Btw the front (2), rear (2) speakers, zero guage wiring, head unit, 4-channel amp, mono amp, woofer were removed. I have kept it at the garage and won't be fitting it back untill this problem is solved.

How on earth can ICE cause such problems?
Old 28th February 2010, 11:38   #21
BHPian

Expert, please clarify..

Can ICE cause all these symptoms? Does the high revving of the engine has any relation to the ICE installed on the car?
Old 28th February 2010, 16:43   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

I can't relate the ICE to the problem at all,never have I seen,heard of PCBs causing this.
Old 17th September 2010, 20:18   #23
BHPian

After 6 months

I have not observed any of the mentioned symptoms for the past 6 months, no headaches. This means there has been no audio on my car for the past 6 months. Everything from wiring, speakers to amp, subs were removed in feb.

I had my cowon d2 player, so did not miss my setup much. Now it is time to refit the components and trouble shoot.Experts, please guide me how to go about with this. I plan to start with headunit, wiring, front and rear speakers?? I would leave the amp and sub for time being or sell it off??

Note - A point I missed mentioning in this thread, my 4-channel amp was serviced & if I memory goes the problem started after that.

MODS - Please change the thread name " ICE installation causing health problem"

Last edited by Mr_Bean : 17th September 2010 at 20:20. Reason: k
Old 17th September 2010, 20:58   #24
BHPian

well there are several possibilities here.

as you mentioned you've also removed your speakers, maybe the foul/irritant gas is escaping through the speaker hole and so the irritation has disappeared.

as someone earlier mentioned that it could be carbon monoxide thats causing the problem. carbon monoxide is released from the exhaust of the car as well as when some plastic parts heats up or burns, well then it should leave a smell of burning plastic. have you checked all your wirings that you removed while you pulled out the ICE? were there any burned wires? check each ICE component for short circuits etc.
Old 18th September 2010, 01:17   #25
BHPian

Seems like your ICE was haunted, once you removed, your issue is resolved, just kidding

Glad to hear, you are not facing any more health issues.
Old 18th September 2010, 12:32   #26
BHPian

Got it!
Maybe the rubber ''boot'' that covers the hole around the wires that come from the engine bay to the area behind your car's dashboard was not fixed properly when your ICE was installed, the installers don't pay much attention and leave it open as a hole while getting wires inside your car from the battery which becomes a way to get hot engine fumes from the engine bay to the inside of your car from the back of your dashboard. Then, when you got all ICE removed, the rubber boot might have been fitted back. Just today, I got this particular rubber boot in the engine compartment plugged in in my Zen and the cabin is much more silent because now the engine noise is restricted by the rubber boot and AC feels much more effective as the fumes are kept at bay.
Coincidence, I guess.
After opening your bonnet, look for wires going into your car's dashboard and you will understand. I am damn sure this was the problem. The rubber boot has a hole to accomodate the stock wiring only so the installers keep it open and hanging instead of cutting it accordingly.
Old 18th September 2010, 18:53   #27
BHPian

even tough the rubber boot in the firewall were to be open, only heat from the engine bay has to enter the cabin, not fumes..
Old 21st September 2010, 10:42   #28
BHPian

Appreciate your thoughts, I double checked the firewall after the ICE installation, they were sealed when the issue cropped up.

Engine fumes are usually odourless (CO) but in my case it was a case of something burning or heating up. I guess trial & error is the way to go, lemme go ahead with the install & in that way I can corner out the bad element.
Old 25th October 2018, 09:58   #29
Senior - BHPian

Re: Help! - Engine fumes getting into the car & causing health problems

I recently bought a Verna diesel. This is my first diesel car. Post driving I find myself having a mild headache and some stingy eyes sensation. Is this normal since I am not used to having a diesel car? This happens mostly if I wind down the window while parking in an enclosed area
Old 25th October 2018, 10:14   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Help! - Engine fumes getting into the car & causing health problems

Diesel fumes can cause irritation sometimes, this happens for instance when you wind down the windows and try to reverse park for instance.

It's temporary , just ensure that you don't idle the car in enclosed spaces for long.
Kosfactor is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed