Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2010, 21:55   #1
BHPian

Maruti 800 battery woes-urgent help required

Have faced this problem twice in 4 days.Battery is of Amaron around 3 yrs old -used for 18,000 kms max.
Initially when i start the journey there is no problem.At the end of the day when i try to start the battery is completely dead.first time it happened maruti on road service rectified by using their battery.Identified green deposits on the battery terminals which were cleaned and fitted .I kept the car engine running for 30 mins as per advice and then for 2 days no problem.today once again same problem.One recent change was a cigarette lighter was fitted recently.Is this the cause or is the battery just to be replaced.Pls give your urgent feedback as I want to make a long trip this weekend.If advice is to change which brand is good and approx price .Thanks
Old 7th January 2010, 22:00   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fergus View Post
Have faced this problem twice in 4 days.Battery is of Amaron around 3 yrs old -used for 18,000 kms max.
Initially when i start the journey there is no problem.At the end of the day when i try to start the battery is completely dead.first time it happened maruti on road service rectified by using their battery.Identified green deposits on the battery terminals which were cleaned and fitted .I kept the car engine running for 30 mins as per advice and then for 2 days no problem.today once again same problem.One recent change was a cigarette lighter was fitted recently.Is this the cause or is the battery just to be replaced.Pls give your urgent feedback as I want to make a long trip this weekend.If advice is to change which brand is good and approx price .Thanks
alternator might be faulty
Old 8th January 2010, 07:05   #3
BHPian

Battery problem maruti 800-urgent advice required

hey Team bhpians-Gurus and members I was hoping for some more advice and feedback for the below problem as i have to rectify by today night.

Quote:
Old 8th January 2010, 09:12   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I suspect your battery is a goner. Get it load tested at an Amaron/Exide dealer. And you can get the charging system checked too. Normal readings are between 13.8 and 14.4 volts at around 2000 RPM.

A test is critical before a long distance journey. You dont want to wind up in the middle of nowhere with a dead battery or charging system.

Remember, mileage doesnt affect battery reliabilty as much as age of the battery and charging system health do. A battery can go bad due to sulphation if it is sitting on the shelf for over 3 months.

Cheers!
Old 8th January 2010, 09:29   #5
Senior - BHPian

Get the alternator checked up.If you car starter gets stuck for a little while and then cranks up then it is a good indication that the battery is at the end of it's life or needs charging.

If your battery light comes on in the instrument cluster then it means the battery is not getting charged.Also check fan belt as a loose fan belt may cause the alternator to not charge the battery properly.
Old 8th January 2010, 10:07   #6
BHPian

I faced a similar situation. Get the cutout of the Alternator checked, since sometimes the cutout is faulty and doesn't allow the battery to charge.
Old 8th January 2010, 10:08   #7
Team-BHP Support

Take the car to any good battery shop and check if the battery and the charging circuit is working fine. If both are ok, ask them to check if there are any leakage of charge, if so first disconnect the lighter and see otherwise do a complete electrical check up.
Old 26th August 2011, 10:36   #8
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti 800 battery woes-urgent help required

Sorry for re-opening an old thread but thought this most appopriate.

I have a Maruti 800 that I had not driven for more than 6 weeks. It was started up once in 2 weeks or so but not driven around at all. When I tried to start the engine some days back, there was just a "tick-tick" sound and nothing. Thinking the battery to be dead, I got it recharged. It started off fine yesterday and I took the car to office. But after work, it wouldn't start again.

When I try to start, its the same sound again. Now, is this a battery problem or something else?
Old 26th August 2011, 13:48   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Now, is this a battery problem or something else?
It could either be:
  • Battery hasn't charged up properly.
  • Or the battery doesn't hold charge, which means, you will need a battery replacement.
Check if there is enough battery water. And, try charging it fully from outside (batteries seldom get fully charged from car). If it still loses charge by the end of the day, or overnight, then change the batteries.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2011, 15:56   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
It could either be:
  • Battery hasn't charged up properly.
  • Or the battery doesn't hold charge, which means, you will need a battery replacement.
Check if there is enough battery water. And, try charging it fully from outside (batteries seldom get fully charged from car). If it still loses charge by the end of the day, or overnight, then change the batteries.
Hello and thanks for the reply. As an interim solution, I called up Maruti help and got a technician over to jumpstart the car. He started it off and advised me to run it for atleast 15 kms. Also to check and see if I need a replacement battery if the problem recurs. So I've managed to get the car back home.

I will check and see if the car starts fine today evening and tomorrow. Hopefully, will not need to change the battery.

Now, I feel the technician has increased the idling greatly - perhaps to allow me to be able to drive it back home. How can I get this down? Cause I feel the car is screaming even when my foot is completely off the accel and clutch even.

Sorry for these probably noob questions - I am a biker who is driving a car only recently.
Old 26th August 2011, 16:13   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Hello and thanks for the reply. As an interim solution, I called up Maruti help and got a technician over to jumpstart the car. He started it off and advised me to run it for atleast 15 kms. Also to check and see if I need a replacement battery if the problem recurs. So I've managed to get the car back home.

I will check and see if the car starts fine today evening and tomorrow. Hopefully, will not need to change the battery.

Now, I feel the technician has increased the idling greatly - perhaps to allow me to be able to drive it back home. How can I get this down? Cause I feel the car is screaming even when my foot is completely off the accel and clutch even.

Sorry for these probably noob questions - I am a biker who is driving a car only recently.
Just go to any local mechanic and he ll adjust the idling screw for you. If you want the idling 'exactly' as per the MASS recommended one then go to an authorised service station where in they ll connect the rpm meter and set the idling exactly with precision as per the company specs. Hope this helps
humyum is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2011, 21:01   #12
Senior - BHPian

Thanks, will try that.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks