Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2010, 11:48   #16
Senior - BHPian

GTO, ever tried following up with tata about this ? That it is not recommended is fairly obvious from their site. Thankfully, though I face many issues with my TASC, this is not one of them
Old 22nd January 2010, 12:19   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Generally all AScs barring Maruti suck.
I beg to disagree. I have had terrible experiences of all Maruti A.S.S., whether Vitesse, Sai, Sanghi...

The list of stuff Maruti A.S.S. insist on (and for which I have to keep fighting):
1. Engine wax - !? My argument: Is it a model? No sir, it will save and extend life of engine!
2. Fuel Saver - you will get 20% extra mileage sir! How? Magnetism improves the petrol!
3. Petrol additive - you will get very clean injectors sir! My argument: see next point.
4. Injector cleaning sir, otherwise you will get stuck on road. Me: Why? you put the petrol additive, now why do I need injector cleaning?
5. Oil additive.
6. Annual AC servicing - Mumbai very hot sir!
7. Carbon Cleaning sir, fuel saving and engine life extended sir! Me: But I have only done 10,000 km? All kacchra goes into engine, becomes carbon so it must be washed out. Almost gave him a kick at that time.

After 2 years of this nonsense, they have finally given up and simply do the essential stuff and leave me alone.
Old 22nd January 2010, 12:40   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep108 View Post
I beg to disagree. I have had terrible experiences of all Maruti A.S.S., whether Vitesse, Sai, Sanghi...

The list of stuff Maruti A.S.S. insist on (and for which I have to keep fighting):
1. Engine wax - !? My argument: Is it a model? No sir, it will save and extend life of engine!
2. Fuel Saver - you will get 20% extra mileage sir! How? Magnetism improves the petrol!
3. Petrol additive - you will get very clean injectors sir! My argument: see next point.
4. Injector cleaning sir, otherwise you will get stuck on road. Me: Why? you put the petrol additive, now why do I need injector cleaning?
5. Oil additive.
7. Carbon Cleaning sir, fuel saving and engine life extended sir! Me: But I have only done 10,000 km? All kacchra goes into engine, becomes carbon so it must be washed out. Almost gave him a kick at that time.

After 2 years of this nonsense, they have finally given up and simply do the essential stuff and leave me alone.
None of the above non value added service are being advised by the MASS I go to here in Bangalore. Then how do they make money? Simple charge higher for the mandatory service they do (Paid service costs Rs 850 + Tax) and do a good job of it.
Old 22nd January 2010, 13:24   #19
Senior - BHPian

Strange, Very strange. From 1993 till 2004 I had the following cars from the Maruti stable:

M800DX
Gypsy 4x4
M1000
Esteem LX

Barring the Esteem LX which during 2003-04 started going to my FNG in Gurgaon, all of them used to go to Competent Motors for their regular service & maintainance. Never ever once I had to face a situation such as what you mentioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep108 View Post

5. Oil additive.

Old 22nd January 2010, 14:25   #20
Senior - BHPian

Umm.. is a flush recommended when changing to Synthetic the first time? If the car is run, say 15k?
Old 22nd January 2010, 14:51   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
Umm.. is a flush recommended when changing to Synthetic the first time? If the car is run, say 15k?
Synthetic oil can be used after 10k-15k km.
while change from mineral oil to synthetic oil, engine oil flush is recommended to remove old oil sludge.

kindly go through this Oil Bible - http://www.carbibles.com/engineoil_bible.html
UM

Last edited by UniqueMods : 22nd January 2010 at 14:52.
Old 5th February 2010, 15:30   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniqueMods View Post
Synthetic oil can be used after 10k-15k km.
while change from mineral oil to synthetic oil, engine oil flush is recommended to remove old oil sludge.

kindly go through this Oil Bible - Car Bibles : The Engine Oil Bible
UM
Car Bible gives contradicting info on the same page and that has had me confused, that's why am asking here. Quoting from the site:

Quote:
If you've been driving around with mineral oil in your engine for years, don't switch to synthetic oil without preparation. Synthetic oils have been known to dislodge the baked-on deposits from mineral oils and leave them floating around your engine - not good. It's wise to use a flushing oil first.
This comes under "Old & busted concepts"

Quote:
Unless there's something seriously wrong with your engine, like you've filled it with milk or shampoo, you really ought never to need a flushing oil. If you're transitioning from a mineral oil to a synthetic oil, likewise you probably don't need to flush the engine first.
This comes under "Do I need a flushing oil?"

Quote:
There is no scientific data to support the idea that mixing mineral and synthetic oils will damage your engine. When switching from a mineral oil to a synthetic, or vice versa, you will potentially leave a small amount of residual oil in the engine. That's perfectly okay because synthetic oil and mineral-based motor oil are, for the most part, compatible with each other. (The exception is pure synthetics. Polyglycols don't mix with normal mineral oils.)

There is also no problem with switching back and forth between synthetic and mineral based oils. In fact, people who are "in the know" and who operate engines in areas where temperature fluctuations can be especially extreme, switch from mineral oil to synthetic oil for the colder months. They then switch back to mineral oil during the warmer months.

There was a time, years ago, when switching between synthetic oils and mineral oils was not recommended if you had used one product or the other for a long period of time. People experienced problems with seals leaking and high oil consumption but changes in additive chemistry and seal material have taken care of those issues. And that's an important caveat. New seal technology is great, but if you're still driving around in a car from the 80's with its original seals, then this argument becomes a bit of a moot point - your seals are still going to be subject to the old leakage problems no matter what newfangled additives the oil companies are putting in their products.
This is from "Mixing Mineral and Synthetic oils - the new hotness"

My understanding is that we need not do an engine flush. Period. Flushing is only on specific cases- Quoting again from Car Bible-
Quote:
Unless there's something seriously wrong with your engine, like you've filled it with milk or shampoo, you really ought never to need a flushing oil.
I have read in random posts that we need to flush the engine before switching from mineral to synthetic- and I guess am safe to assume that is old school. Gurus- your thoughts please!
ph03n!x is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2011, 17:03   #23
BHPian

Re: New A.S.S SCAM - compulsory engine flush with oil change.

This happened with me as well in the morning today. I gave my car for 2nd free service (3,500 km run so far) to Asset hyundai kanjurmarg and they called me back pressing for engine flushing. The guy was also too keen to get me to agree to an anti rust coating on engine and exhaust pipe. When I asked why did he not tell me about it during the 1st service (before monsoons) he had no answer. he also started telling me that my extended warranty would become invalid if i dont get engine flushed but backed off when I said a firm 'no' . Guess these guys are doing it just to run up the bills. What say people?
Old 15th October 2011, 11:15   #24
BHPian

I was also 'informed' today at Motorcraft NOIDA (Maruti A.S.S.) that engine flush is required everytime an oil change is done, by a newbish service advisor. He did not notice, though, that the car has been serviced by them for last 5 years and never has a flush been performed with each oil change!

Case of - either Motorcraft getting greedy or, they hired the advisor from another competing car brand!
Old 18th October 2011, 12:13   #25
BHPian

Got schemed yesterday when i took my Ritz Vdi(ABS) to trusted mandovi motors, yesterday. Usually service manager is available on site, but yesterday he was on leave i presume and the SA whom i regularly interact with only attended my vehicle (20k paid service) I got it serviced at 191xx kms anyways. I was never told about engine flush for oil change, but when i saw the bill detailing Rs 650 for engine flush, i politely asked SA and he said same answer that it is needed for oil change. I was in no mood to argue as the service manager who is a very good person and is very strict about these hankiepankies wasn't available, so i just paid and left. Next time on i need to be more cautious!
Old 18th October 2011, 12:45   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

My cars are always serviced from the authorized service centers.In case of Maruti,i have never been asked for any engine flush even when changing oil.At Hyundai,i was asked to get engine flushed after decrbonizing of engine at 22k kms and there was good change in car's behaviour.Again i got engine flushed at 43k kms and performance does improve.But have never been forced for anything,or rather they have not been able to play dirty tricks on me till date.Thanks to TeamBHP for giving me an upper hand.
Old 6th March 2013, 17:25   #27
BHPian

Is it advisable to go for Engine oil flush when shifting back from Full Synthetic to Mineral or Semi Synthetic oil?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks