Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th January 2010, 03:22   #1
BHPian

My Toyota Corolla Issues

On my way back from Pondicherry last weekend I noticed something rather odd about the Corolla's AC. It wasn't cooling the cabin at all. Granted the weather was not at its best at 32 degrees but still the outdoor temperature sensor in the car picked up 30 degrees. Not something the Corolla's AC can't cool. The lack of cooling was also accompanied by a weird pungent smell coming from the blowers. Quick check on the side of the road revealed nothing. The compressor seemed to be cutting in when turned on but weirdly the RPM shot up to 1500 instead of 1100-1200. I realised something was wrong and drove the remaining 100 kms without the AC.

Gave the car for service the next day at 77k kms before its due 80k kms and asked the service engineers to complete the 80k kms service and also look into the AC issue. I was called by Lanson Toyota the next day and was informed of the sad demise of my AC cooling coil. And that this sad incident will set me back Rs.26k.

I certainly wasn't ready to part with all that cash so I took delivery of the car with the air-con still in non working condition. Made a quick visit to G P and was informed that the AC cooling coil of a reputed make would set me back around Rs.4.8k. That seemed reasonable enough so now I had to look for a AC mech.

Found one pretty close to my place next to Vivekananda College. He seemed like he knew what he was on about and diagnosed the same AC cooling coil failure. Told me he would charge me for the whole job which included

-Replacement cooling coil
-Removal and refitting of dashboard
-Gas charging

He told me that the Cooling Coil he was going to use was of good make and would cost me 4.8k. So I asked him to go ahead.

I was standing next to him all morning patiently looking at him tear my dashboard apart and show me the wretched cooling coil which failed. In the meantime he said he will be able to get me the DENSO cooling coil which was the OE spare and would cost me an additional 2k. So I thought its worth the extra money and hence asked him to go ahead with that. He broke for lunch and asked me to come back in an hour when he would resume work.

I quickly ran back home, inhaled my lunch and made it back to his place in 50 mins. By then the sneaky devil had one of his elves install the cooling coil and part of the fan assembly. I asked him why he resumed work and he replied saying his boys finished lunch early and so he didn't see a point waiting for me to return. I asked him about the original DENSO spare and he said it arrived minutes after I left and showed me an empty carton with a DENSO label and part number on it.

I had my doubts. I asked him to show me the installed product. He said he was done fixing it and checking for leaks and it was too late to remove the part for me to see. Everything went downhill from here. I was totally pissed off with his attitude and wanted to drive right away but I knew that wouldn't work. Since most of the work expect putting the dashboard back was done I felt my presence there was not needed anymore and so I left.

I returned back after dinner to collect my car which was all back in shape. I was still pissed at this guys attitude towards his customers so I grabbed the keys started the car and turned the AC on. And fresh cold air blew me away. I was quite happy with the cooling. In fact I think I'd be right in saying it was better that what it was before the cooling coil conked off. Couple of things I noticed was that the blowers on the extreme ends were blowing more air than the ones at the center and the demister/defogger didn't seem to be working. I reported both to the guy for which he said it too late now and he would fix it tomorrow morning. Fair enough it was almost 9 in the night.

So I asked him for the bill and he sticks me with a bill for Rs.14,850/-!! I ask him why for which he gives me a number of reasons which were

-He thought my car was the post 2005 model which has an easier way of removing the cooling coil without pulling apart the dash board and hence the labour charges went up.
-He found the expansion valve was also on its last legs and so replacement was necessary.
-He found the compressor oil level was low and hence needed to be topped up. I was told the Subros oil 125ml for the Corolla costed Rs.1250/-
-He also went to the level of inventing a new part in my car AC system called the condenser filter which also needed replacement.

I was totally taken aback and hence asked him why I wasn't informed of the additional charges when he had my number. For which he says for such small amount I shouldn't expect a phone call!@#

After almost 15 mins of heated exchanges I told him I will stick to my grounds and pay only Rs.12k as promised earlier and until he can fix the demister/defogger, check on the blowers and prove that the part installed was indeed a DENSO original he can kiss his money goodbye.

He asked me to come back tomorrow so that he can fix what isn't working and to prove that its indeed DENSO I have to pay for the gas recharging and the labour charges all over again as its work for him too.

I seem to be in a fix. In all honesty I just want to know if what was installed was indeed a DENSO product or have I been duped. I am very happy with the cooling as such. But his attitude is really getting me worked up. And I will make sure that I don't pay a penny more even if I get the demister/defogger working along with the blowers being set right.

What is the best course of action now?

MODS : Though this might seem like more of a Street Experience Thread I thought I will get useful replies on how I could get the cooling coil make checked if I post it here. If you think otherwise please do the needful.
Old 24th January 2010, 17:41   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipsyde View Post
What is the best course of action now?
You should have verified the credentials of the mechanic before going to him.There are many self styled gurus who take the calf path and/or dupe customers.

As far as I know,they don't charge separately for removal and refitment of dash;also whenever a ac is serviced,the quote includes labour,refrigerant charge,compressor oil.Other spares like receiver drier,expansion valve,compressor seal,gaskets etc are charged separately

If he has conned you,he will invent a way to prove that the coil was indeed genuine and you'll pay extra for the dismantling and refitting.

I am sure there are gem mechanics in Chennai who know their job very well and charge right.

In this case,ask him for a break up of charges and verify it with T-BHP experts who know how mucgh it costs to service the Corolla's ac.

Ask him what guarantee he can give for the cooling coil and get it in writing on the reverse of his bill.-that's the best you can do with him now.

BTW,isn't your Corolla the TN45 one?

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 6th August 2017 at 23:37. Reason: Reducing quoted content. A large quoted post inconveniences mobile users. Thanks.
Old 24th January 2010, 19:34   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
You should have verified the credentials of the mechanic before going to him.There are many self styled gurus who take the calf path and/or dupe customers. - totally agreed. should have checked his credentials. i guess i was wrong here.

As far as I know,they don't charge separately for removal and refitment of dash;also whenever a ac is serviced,the quote includes labour,refrigerant charge,compressor oil.Other spares like receiver drier,expansion valve,compressor seal,gaskets etc are charged separately - well basically he meant the removal and refitting of the dashboard will be the labour component of it.

If he has conned you,he will invent a way to prove that the coil was indeed genuine and you'll pay extra for the dismantling and refitting.

I am sure there are gem mechanics in Chennai who know their job very well and charge right. - can you please name some. i would certainly like to get things double checked even if it means i have to shell out more money. within reasonable limits of course.

In this case,ask him for a break up of charges and verify it with T-BHP experts who know how mucgh it costs to service the Corolla's ac.

Ask him what guarantee he can give for the cooling coil and get it in writing on the reverse of his bill.-that's the best you can do with him now.

BTW,isn't your Corolla the TN45 one? - thats right. how did you know?
Can people please refer me to some car AC mechanic who can check everything out? And also should I go back to that guy to get anything fixed at all. I think he would probably do more harm than good.

MODS:If there can be a thread where we can put up blacklisted garages city wise I would put this guy right up there. Worst experience ever!!
Old 24th January 2010, 20:52   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Does the Corolla have multi blowers?I have this feeling your selector for the ac (air to feet/windscreen/face) must not be OK.

My suggestions:
  1. Pl check various combnations on the ac selector and see if it functions properly eg. if only windscreen is selected,it should throw air there only
  2. Try finding out about the guy - his credentials etc.
  3. If you're sure he isn't a con man,approach him politely mentioning that you didn't mean to mistrust him and that you just wanted to be sure(you can say,"Kaalam kettu pochchu,yarai nambarthu theriyillai" etc.)
  4. Ask him what guarantee he can give that the coil is OK(if he could not show you the coil that was removed,there is something fishy)
  5. In the worst case - just give yourself the self assurance that you coughed up much lesser than what you'd have given to the dealership for the same job - and hope the cooling coil fellow works well.
I am sorry I know no one in Chennai ;I can check and let you know

TN45?? I remember having read your report on the Corolla some few months TN45 is a familiar regn.
Old 24th January 2010, 21:46   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
Does the Corolla have multi blowers?I have this feeling your selector for the ac (air to feet/windscreen/face) must not be OK.

My suggestions:
  1. Pl check various combnations on the ac selector and see if it functions properly eg. if only windscreen is selected,it should throw air there only
  2. Try finding out about the guy - his credentials etc.
  3. If you're sure he isn't a con man,approach him politely mentioning that you didn't mean to mistrust him and that you just wanted to be sure(you can say,"Kaalam kettu pochchu,yarai nambarthu theriyillai" etc.)
  4. Ask him what guarantee he can give that the coil is OK(if he could not show you the coil that was removed,there is something fishy)
  5. In the worst case - just give yourself the self assurance that you coughed up much lesser than what you'd have given to the dealership for the same job - and hope the cooling coil fellow works well.
I am sorry I know no one in Chennai ;I can check and let you know

TN45?? I remember having read your report on the Corolla some few months TN45 is a familiar regn.
I think you got me wrong. I did see him remove my old cooling coil. In fact its lying in his garage right now as we speak. I am just confused about whether the one installed new is a DENSO or some other make.

It looks like the vents which direct the air to the demister are not working properly or is blocked for some reason.....cos i hear the fan at full speed but not air comes out thru the vent.
Old 25th January 2010, 17:47   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Well, to be fair, you have no reason to doubt him. Just because he fitted the coil in your absence doesn't mean that it was a fake. Second, the final bill going up by 10 - 15% genuinely happens sometimes...whether its at an authorised service center or the after-market. I suggest you talk things out amicably with him. And if you still have any doubt, ask him to show you your cooling coil (will be a headache to open up though).

That said, it's best to take references before finalising on an after-market independent. Looks like you just found one while driving around. Either ways, I hope that he has installed the right product and with the right quality of labour. Toyota has an exceedingly strong reliability rating, I'd hate to see any problems due to a shoddy install.
Old 25th January 2010, 18:28   #7
BHPian

Flipsyde, Your predictment is absolutely correct. I understand why you are tensed up, as GTO has mentioned you have to go by the trust. The cost going up by 10-15% is justifyable as per my experience in getting my cars serviced outside. I would suggest that be happy if the workmanship is good and your issue is resolved. Talk to that guy and check if he can give you some warrenty (say 3-6 months) on the ac cooling coil.

If you want to check your car with another mechanic PM me and I would provide you a contact number. I usually get my Elantra AC issues serviced at this guys place in T.Nagar.
Old 25th January 2010, 18:47   #8
BHPian

Flipsyde, is this AC mech next to the scan centre(don't remeber the names though)?
From what i heard about the guy, he charges a bit more than your normal mechanics would, but not a cheat.
P.S - this is only what i have heard from my friends who have gone to him.

If you doubt him, never go to him again. Find a trustworthy mechanic.
Old 25th January 2010, 19:03   #9
Senior - BHPian

Hi Abhishek
IIRC, I gave you the contact of my AC mech, didn't I?
Old 25th January 2010, 19:47   #10
BHPian

Hey, I dont mean to get you worked up any further, but from your narration its very clear that you may not have got the Denso, I will narrate a similar incident that happened 10 years ago to articulate on the modus operandi of these realiable ex MASS/*** staff.
I was replacing my dad's omni's clutch with a mechanic who used to work at a MASS, and I had told him in advance that I want to see him procure the parts from a maruti showroom and definitely want to see when he replaces the part. The chap got onto the job and dismantled the engine and dilly dallied till lunch time and mentioned that he will procure the part once I was back and then replace the old clutch plate. But once i was back from lunch I realised that he not only had brought the clutch but was half way through installing it. And when I insisted on the bill, he said this was procured on the sly and would cost me lesser, noticing that I was not convinced he went to the trash can and dug up a boxing which had a part number and MGA printed on it. I had to resign to the fact that he had indeed put in a orginal MGA, not convinced I was just rummaging around his garage and found a clutch plate of GK for Maruti omni and when i confronted this guy he went all red and mentioned that it was fixed to a different car, But i was convinced that this guy had cheated me and was charging me almost as much as printed on the MGA which was 50% more expensive than GK. I was so helpless at that point so just got my car fixed and left the place.
I was 10 years younger but learnt a valuable lesson that has helped in mutiple swindle like situations hahaah!!
Phew !! that was long. But just thought I would share. The clutch did work well for a long time. Hope your cooling coils also work the same way so what if they are not denso!!

Last edited by kiranpashtakar : 25th January 2010 at 19:51.
Old 25th January 2010, 23:20   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Well, to be fair, you have no reason to doubt him. Just because he fitted the coil in your absence doesn't mean that it was a fake. Second, the final bill going up by 10 - 15% genuinely happens sometimes...whether its at an authorised service center or the after-market. I suggest you talk things out amicably with him. And if you still have any doubt, ask him to show you your cooling coil (will be a headache to open up though).

That said, it's best to take references before finalising on an after-market independent. Looks like you just found one while driving around. Either ways, I hope that he has installed the right product and with the right quality of labour. Toyota has an exceedingly strong reliability rating, I'd hate to see any problems due to a shoddy install.
GTO, I have no qualms about the amount going up by 10-15% this is a clear 25%. And this expansion valve was fitted the first time I returned back, but there was no mention of this part being replaced during then. I too agree it does sound like I am jumping into conclusions about a NON-OE part being installed but as a customer who insisted the part being installed in his presence why the rush? Especially when I told him I wanted to see the install being done.

I have seen this guy work on Skodas and Fords quite a bit. I didn't drive right into his garage... I have been watching him work on different cars for a while now. And also he came recommended from this car electrician who has worked on my car earlier. And if that wasn't enough there was a T-BHPian who's Peugeot 305 has been fixed for AC issues time and again by this person. (Reference : Thread started by ibm_jennifer regarding AC mechanics in Chennai for his Tata Safari)

But point taken... I should have asked around more before I went to him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElantraGT View Post
Flipsyde, Your predictment is absolutely correct. I understand why you are tensed up, as GTO has mentioned you have to go by the trust. The cost going up by 10-15% is justifyable as per my experience in getting my cars serviced outside. I would suggest that be happy if the workmanship is good and your issue is resolved. Talk to that guy and check if he can give you some warrenty (say 3-6 months) on the ac cooling coil.

If you want to check your car with another mechanic PM me and I would provide you a contact number. I usually get my Elantra AC issues serviced at this guys place in T.Nagar.
ElantraGT, I must say I am not throughly impressed with the workmanship as I have mentioned the defogger doesn't seem to be working but otherwise the cooling is really good. I am not complaining about his work... I am just not ok with his attitude and way in which the business was dealt.

And speaking of workmanship.... if you really want me to get into the details I must say the interior is one big mess! There are couple of stains on the seats and lot of stains on the dash panel.

I tried talking to him about warranty... He says he cannot warranty anything as this is some without bill DENSO product. All he keeps saying is that nothing will happen but that nothing will happen.

I will PM you. Please give me your AC mechanics contact. I want to get things checked out for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rg_chn View Post
Flipsyde, is this AC mech next to the scan centre(don't remeber the names though)?
From what i heard about the guy, he charges a bit more than your normal mechanics would, but not a cheat.
P.S - this is only what i have heard from my friends who have gone to him.

If you doubt him, never go to him again. Find a trustworthy mechanic.
Rg_chn, Can you please do me a favour and double check this guys credibility? This guy is right next to Vitro Labs. You're talking about the same guy. I just need this issue sorted out pronto. Rest assured I will never go to him nor will I recommend anyone go to him ever again.

Garage name is : Murugan AC Mechanics I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Hi Abhishek
IIRC, I gave you the contact of my AC mech, didn't I?
Nitrous, no you didn't. Actually I called you a day earlier to get your opinion on AC mechanics (like I do for everything else ) but you didn't answer your phone. I guess I was just being a little hasty. Now how do I find a fix for this problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiranpashtakar View Post
Hey, I dont mean to get you worked up any further, but from your narration its very clear that you may not have got the Denso, I will narrate a similar incident that happened 10 years ago to articulate on the modus operandi of these realiable ex MASS/*** staff.
I was replacing my dad's omni's clutch with a mechanic who used to work at a MASS, and I had told him in advance that I want to see him procure the parts from a maruti showroom and definitely want to see when he replaces the part. The chap got onto the job and dismantled the engine and dilly dallied till lunch time and mentioned that he will procure the part once I was back and then replace the old clutch plate. But once i was back from lunch I realised that he not only had brought the clutch but was half way through installing it. And when I insisted on the bill, he said this was procured on the sly and would cost me lesser, noticing that I was not convinced he went to the trash can and dug up a boxing which had a part number and MGA printed on it. I had to resign to the fact that he had indeed put in a orginal MGA, not convinced I was just rummaging around his garage and found a clutch plate of GK for Maruti omni and when i confronted this guy he went all red and mentioned that it was fixed to a different car, But i was convinced that this guy had cheated me and was charging me almost as much as printed on the MGA which was 50% more expensive than GK. I was so helpless at that point so just got my car fixed and left the place.
I was 10 years younger but learnt a valuable lesson that has helped in mutiple swindle like situations hahaah!!
Phew !! that was long. But just thought I would share. The clutch did work well for a long time. Hope your cooling coils also work the same way so what if they are not denso!!
Kiranpashtakar, I fear my story is very similar to yours. I don't like the AC mech thinking he got away fooling a customer. I honestly couldn't care less what part has been installed as far as it does its duty. And so far everything seems fine. Lets just hope it stays that way for sometime to come.
Old 26th January 2010, 01:03   #12
BHPian

Flipsyde, i went there once just for a top up of the freon gas, he quoted Rs1500, when every other mechanic's askings were in the range of Rs900 to Rs 1100. I never went back to him. But a few of my friends from college (Vivekanada) had gone to him. Will ask them and confirm.
Old 28th January 2010, 11:37   #13
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Flipsyde, for the benefit of T BHPins in Chennai (and Corolla owners like me), please let us know the name and address of this mechanic.

Don't get worked up too much on this. You were ready to put the after market coil at 4.8K and when he informed you that he could put Denso at 2K extra and you had agreed for it. The only problem was he had fitted the coil when you were not around. As long as the cooling is good and you saved almost 13K, do not worry. Just ask him for atleast 2 year warranty on the product and if something goes wrong, then he should repair/change it free of cost.

Not that i want to visit him, but i have an issue with my Corolla's A/C. Lanson quoted me 45 K for replacing the compressor, as the bearing had gone and the car is making mild hissing noise when accelerated. Raghav (IgNite), who had already worked at Lanson for two years, said that it is not required to replace the compressor, but just service the bearing would do the job for which he said that it would cost <10K

Guys at Lanson, who are friendly to me suggested me to get the part from Singapore/Thailand/Malaysia as it would cost only 7K. I am confused on what to do. I still have another 7 K kms to go before i need to replace it, but i am unable to take a decision.

Last edited by MAS : 28th January 2010 at 11:38.
Old 28th January 2010, 22:06   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
Lanson quoted me 45 K for replacing the compressor, as the bearing had gone and the car is making mild hissing noise when accelerated. Raghav (IgNite), who had already worked at Lanson for two years, said that it is not required to replace the compressor, but just service the bearing would do the job for which he said that it would cost <10K - even that is very very high

I still have another 7 K kms to go before i need to replace it, but i am unable to take a decision.
7kkms before replacement? didn't get you
Old 28th February 2011, 00:30   #15
BHPian

Corolla Electrical Problem!

Let begin from the beginning! I was driving along in city during rush hour when I started noticing the battery charging light on the dash was going on and off intermittently (By that I mean it came on and went off in less than a second and happened once every 2 mins). I knew this meant trouble and just hoped I could get home. I turned everything electrical off and I was just fine.

The next morning I was ready to take it to the mechanic and hoped it would start. And it did. But this time the battery light stayed on but the car started just fine. Went straight to the mechanic who after pulling apart my alternator said it was a blown voltage regulator. I promptly went to G P Road and picked up a new Denso Voltage Regulator (OE Part) and went back to the electrician who then put the whole thing together and fixed it in the car.

The light was now glowing dimly after starting the engine. He checked the voltage and it seemed to be charging just fine. He pulled out the alternator again and said that the diodes on the Alternator Rectifier were weak and that I should get a new Alternator Rectifier. And off I went in search of one but I wasn't able to find one. At least not a Denso replacement. The only part available was some cheap Chinese rip-off which I had no intention of buying for something as important as an alternator.

While I was on my way back with the bad news the mechanic put the alternator back and connected what to me looked like a small led bulb to the wire which carries the signal to the battery light on the dash. And the dim glow was no more there! Then he went on the explain to me that there seems to be some sort of potential difference between the light on the dash and the signal wire and hence the problem. He even proved by showing me the multimeter reading which never dipped below 14.2v. All was well and I drove back home.

Earlier this week when I went down one evening to start the car the battery was flat. Got a spare battery and started the car and all was well. 2 days later same thing happened which is when my local battery guy told me there seems to be a electrical leakage in the system and so he disconnected my amp and remote locking system which were both non-oe. But still 2 days later the battery would simply drain out.

I am quite baffled as to what the problem could be. I certainly hope my alternator is alright. If not thats a big hole in my pocket! Can anyone please tell me how I can go about checking electrical leakage in the car? I am quite worried especially since its not been diagnosed. Also can anyone please give me leads on who the distributor for Denso parts is in Chennai. If it is the Alternator Rectifier I desperately need a replacement.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks